Trask Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of interest in Neil Trask genetics recently so I thought I would share a few photos I received from Tom McGrady this week.

trask1.jpg

trask2.jpg

trask3.jpg

I do not know the Trask cattle and I am not fluent with their pedigrees, but how does the horned cow in the first picture fit in? I was guessing that the Trask cattle were all polled. I need some education on this. Anyone care to bring me up to speed?

Very few (if any) poll herds can claim absolute homozygosity, whether a horned heifer should have been retained in a poll program is a debate all of its own.

alexfarms":2pz7alc2 said:
How many Trask cows does he have and where is he located?

John,

I'm not sure on the exact count but he probably has the largest group left. He is located outside Houston, TX. If you want his contact info, please just send me a private email.

JH

jhambley":31azy7yr said:
alexfarms":31azy7yr said:
How many Trask cows does he have and where is he located?

John,

I'm not sure on the exact count but he probably has the largest group left. He is located outside Houston, TX. If you want his contact info, please just send me a private email.

JH
A couple weeks ago I had a phone call from a man in Alabama who was looking for Trask cows.

alexfarms":u213ocw7 said:
A couple weeks ago I had a phone call from a man in Alabama who was looking for Trask cows.

I received a call from that same man and gave him Tom's contact info.

JH

KNERSIE":1vx01e1z said:
Very few (if any) poll herds can claim absolute homozygosity, whether a horned heifer should have been retained in a poll program is a debate all of its own.

is there a big difference in degree between single trait culling and single trait selection?

Probably not, but false advertising becomes a concern. I know of many programs with names like ......... Poll Herefords and you can hardly pick out a bull you like without being told the bull was dehorned.

In my own herd scurs is fast becoming a concern in the bullcalves, I seldom have a horned calf, but scurs are becoming the rule rather than the exception, unfortunately.

KNERSIE":107leh5p said:
In my own herd scurs is fast becoming a concern in the bullcalves, I seldom have a horned calf, but scurs are becoming the rule rather than the exception, unfortunately.
that isnt a real problem here. they dont dock for scurs at the graded calf sales. some people dont like them on a bull, but it's one step closer to polled. if you take the horns off, scurs are probably right under them. I am having the same issue in my Aubrac herd, but i am relatively OK with it now.

My name is Bud Hill of Hill Vue Farm, Blairsville GA. I have been linebreeding Trask Cattle for 45 years. I knew Mr. Trask very well and can give the history on his breeding philosophy and the Trask/Fowler connection.

Glad to see your post, Bud.
There are several of us here that would enjoy and appreciate whatever you would like to share.

Have not seen or talked to George Queener in some time.

Have a picture of our bull Plato Banner HV801 that I would like to post, but at my age I can not figure out how to do it

From Bud Hill

Latest posts