transporting a liquid nitrogen tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
How do you transport your tank? We have always put it on the back seat of the truck with the seatbelt around it. I am referring to a regular tank, not a shipper. What is safe?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

That is pretty safe. The only issue would be if the vehicle is tightly closed the nitrogen fumes could displace the oxygen in the vehicle. I usaully haul mine in the back of the truck, don;t have to lift it as high, sitting on several layers of corrugated cardboard (for the vibration) and strapped in with ratchet straps.

In Australia it is actually illegal to carry the tank inside a vehicle due to the possibility of the nitrogen displacing the oxygen and making the driver a bit light headed.
I carry mine in the back of the truck sitting on a piece of carpet that also goes up the sides protecting from any movement against metal and tied to the side just snug. Make sure that you have a padlock or some tie on the lid as the lid can get blown open and the bung sucked out followed by the nitrogen and straws so my semen supplier has told me and I don't fancy trying it to see if he is correct.

Ken

I have wondered about this question. I know people who haul them behind the front seat of a car. In an wreck, the danger of having a liquid nitrogen contacting human flesh is also a concern.

Mine has been bouncing around on a flatbed for fifteen years. I don't even tie it down anymore as that way it's easy to turn around so that I can get to different canisters for different customers. :dunce:

Next door neighbors let us store our semen in their tank . When I have a bunch to breed at one time, I'll bring it over to our barn - always handle it gently, strapped in with the seatbelt - but as CP indicated, our semen rep has several tanks, just riding around in the back of his pickup; not sure that they're 'secured' in any particular manner. Tanks are probably tougher than most of us give 'em credit for being.

Lucky_P":2ypiqans said:
Next door neighbors let us store our semen in their tank . When I have a bunch to breed at one time, I'll bring it over to our barn - always handle it gently, strapped in with the seatbelt - but as CP indicated, our semen rep has several tanks, just riding around in the back of his pickup; not sure that they're 'secured' in any particular manner. Tanks are probably tougher than most of us give 'em credit for being.

Lucky, I never abuse anything except myself. Out of habit and nature, I try to be safe and careful. I treat my tank like it was a two month old baby.

If we have the trailer with us, I put it in the trailer. If not, it gets seat belted in the back seat, passenger side (in the Explorer). In the pickup, it is just strapped in the corner to prevent it from sliding everywhere. Our tank has about as many miles as our livestock trailer, since I like to take it with me just in case...

I strap mine into the passenger seat and crack the window. Too much $$$ in there to set it in the back of my truck, but that's just me.

Latest posts