Traits that get docked

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":2kdfcw2c said:
RanchMan90":2kdfcw2c said:
Stocker Steve":2kdfcw2c said:
Why would muscle get docked?
Double muscle doesn't grade well
Or that the limousin is the lowest marbled one out of the beef breeds.

Off the subject but I thought was interesting
I watched a program RFDTV about a big ranch in far west Tx in the Davis mountains.
They ran several hundred head of limousine cattle.
They had their calves contracted to Laura's lean beef.
As you stated, not a lot of marbling and lean cuts.

Aaron":1z6rkl5s said:
Polled Herefords
Smokies.

Those two are interesting because here a horned hereford would bring less than a polled one. If by smokies you mean a char x Angus then that calf would probably be the top price of the day.

Craig Miller":fybosl7v said:
Aaron":fybosl7v said:
Polled Herefords
Smokies.

Those two are interesting because here a horned hereford would bring less than a polled one. If by smokies you mean a char x Angus then that calf would probably be the top price of the day.

If you leave the horns on them, then there would be a dock here. But as far as breeding, Horned Hereford steers will bring much more than Polled Hereford steers here. Buyers know there is a difference.

Yeah, smokies as in char/angus cross. Now tans, char/red angus will bring a premium.

The thing that bothers me is, when the local barn is selling red angus replacement heifers or breds, they are talked up as though there's nothing better. And, they will sell that way too. But, you turn around and bring their calves back to the sale or mix some reds in with blacks and it's a different day/different rules. The reds won't sell as well as the blacks and the reds will most likely be sorted away from the blacks and sold as two separate groups with a price difference discriminating against the reds.
The market is a fickle thing. Two weeks ago, I saw a buyer sort a black baldie off a group of blacks. It was sold as a single, $15 back. Same weight. No idea why. It seems wrong that a barn allows a group to be picked apart in the ring.

Chocolate Cow":2122tshu said:
The market is a fickle thing. Two weeks ago, I saw a buyer sort a black baldie off a group of blacks. It was sold as a single, $15 back. Same weight. No idea why. It seems wrong that a barn allows a group to be picked apart in the ring.
That buyer may have an order that says black only. If you leave the bwf calf on the lot, then he cannot bid. Buyers bid on what they are told to buy and some of their customers are pretty finicky. I have often questioned why I could could not put a good red calf on an order especially when you know when the hide comes off - all the meat is red. The answer I got from the head buyer was one we have all heard - "the customer is always right".

BTW, I prefer red and yellow cattle for being environmentally adapted to Texas heat and sunshine.

Here anything with an ear will get docked a bunch. Straight Braham cattle get dock a good 50%, maybe more. Straight bred Herefords, simi, limo, and certainly pinz will be off a bunch, probably 30%. I have been at sales where good Holsteins beat pinz and red limos. I don't care how good he is a line back calf will take a big hit. Baldies and red angus will sell with the blacks. The smokies and yellow calves will only be off a touch.
Years ago I went to all black bulls. Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.

Stocker Steve":1kiaxt1n said:
Buy the discount, and sell the premium.
Smokie or red bulls are money makers.
That is the reason I love a red cow change the bull change the calf crop.
I have options to produce a calf that will grade and mash the scales as Dave stated I like folding money.

Dave said:
Here anything with an ear will get docked a bunch. Straight Braham cattle get dock a good 50%, maybe more. Straight bred Herefords, simi, limo, and certainly pinz will be off a bunch, probably 30%. I have been at sales where good Holsteins beat pinz and red limos. I don't care how good he is a line back calf will take a big hit. Baldies and red angus will sell with the blacks. The smokies and yellow calves will only be off a touch.
Years ago I went to all black bulls. Not because I am a big fan of black calves but because green is my favorite color.[/quote]

Right or wrong that's what pays the bills!!!

black, black baldies, black with ear and go good here. Smokies and young charlolais do okay. Hereford do so so but REALLY depends on carcass cause you see a lot of crap. Longhorns get salughters on price. Red angus do not do well. Tigerstripe and brahman dont do great cause you gotta figure if they are at the auction they are a problem. Last on I saw almost jumped and made it out of the holding pen.

I sold all my black cows and bought all Herefords with a horned Hereford bull. Why... I think they look good in my pasture and they are so laid back.
It also gives people a reason to laugh when they drive by my farm. Money isn't everything.