Looks like we get to play rancher another year.

Help Support CattleToday:

Preg checked the replacement heifers yesterday. I only kept 45 last fall (we were tight for feed) so was hoping for a good test. Fortunately only 2 dry (plus I culled one) so I guess I got lucky and should have enough bred replacements assuming the cow test is reasonable.
Just curious. How long do you leave the bulls with your heifers?

Just curious. How long do you leave the bulls with your heifers?
I didn't pull the bulls, but have the vet cut them off for 55 days. I had a yearling bull with 23 head, and a two year old with 22 head and some cows I left full sets of twins on in the other group. The yearling bull bred 21 of the 23, and the vet said both groups were bred up in good time so I guess I'll be busy in March.

Yes, good show Silver. Good prices helps us deal with the rising costs but I am sure when they come back in value our costs won't parallel the fall but we will enjoy it while we can.

Ken

It is a good market now for sure. Too bad the price of everything else is going through the roof at the same time.
I reduced cow/calf stocking rate last year based on drought economics.
Of course, this year we got rain and the value of hay is down by over 50%...
What percent of your grazing is done by replacements and other yearlings?

I just can't get how ya'll do all that in that kind of cold but you, GCreek, Nesi and others in the far North are evidently damn good at it. (y)
Well, have I got a deal for you. I could use a guy for five or six weeks starting this coming March. You could learn all the intricate details and acquire lots of good stories to tell your southern friends.

Well, have I got a deal for you. I could use a guy for five or six weeks starting this coming March. You could learn all the intricate details and acquire lots of good stories to tell your southern friends.
Hilarious. LOL All I can say is....... every year we scratch our heads about people calving before end of march here in the North, but many do. Granted, most have a calving barn.

Good for you Silver, with the contract and the bred heifers!!!!!!!

Thanks, and..
If I were a little younger and in a lot better health I would jump at that invitation and opportunity to experience something very unique that very few get to. .