Training Question

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I traded horses with a guy that I have known most of my life. He is a pretty nice horse but he likes to go a little faster than I want him to go. He has been turned out for almost a year, and has just started being ridden in the past week. I have started stopping him, backing two feet, and then making him stand there until I am ready to go. Does this sound like the right thing to do to y'all. He also holds his head a little high, some say it will go down with ridding, others say it won't. What do you guys think, I bought him a set of martingales tonight, so I guess I will see how that works out. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Kaneranch

If he goes out too fast I would lounge him before you get on him until he has a good sweat going and puffing pretty hard take the gas out of him so he listens to you better rather than just wanting to go or be too excited. I wouldn't worry too much about the head set right now until you get him back to being use to riding and understanding that you are in charge If you lounge him before for a while you'll problably see the head drop anyway. I think you're doing right by backing him, horses hate to back an it will put them in their place in most cases.

Be careful of the martingale (sp) if the horse is'nt use to it the horse may freak and even flip over, as I said earlier I wouldn't about the head set right now, but if you want to work on it now draw reins may be better suited for your needs.

JMO,
Alan

I had one other question to ask you, When ever I got on him today he was shaking alot. It had just rained and was about 42 degrees out side but he felt nervous. When ever I first get on him he feels really nervous, but after I warm him up you can feel his head drop and his nerves go away. I really like this horse once I have rode him for about thirty minutes, but I am wanting him to act like that when I first get on him without lounging or working him out. I do not have a problem with any of these things now but I am worried about in a few months when I start day working off of him that I will not have time to do this. This horse is on a 30 day trial period and I am wondering all this so I don't get the wrong horse. Any info would be greatly appriciated. THanks Kaneranch

It takes a horse about two weeks to settle into their new home, problems should stop with time in the saddle. How long have you had him?

Alan

couple of other things I thought about in judging a horses future worth. If the horse spooks does it turn and look at what spooked it or even go towards it or does it just run away, just turned out not you on the back? You want a horse that will turn and look and better itf it goes and checks out what spooked it. This is after the two week settle in period. How old is the horse?

Thanks,
Alan

I know it sounds like a step backwards but if it were me I'd quit riding him all together and do some ground work with him for a while. Not really ground work like you would do with a colt but more to just get him used to you and you to him. Learn what makes him tick and give him the chance to get to know you. Confidence goes a long way for both horse and rider. Lots of brushing and loving so he knows your not there to "get" him. Sounds to me like maybe he's just alittle high strung and one of you are going to have to learn to live with it.

How old is he? What will he be used for? What was he used for?
Is he a quarter horse?

He is ten years old. He was used as a trail horse and I think he might have been roped off of. He has alot of cow in him, and he will be used as a ranch horse and maybe taken to a small jackpot roping every now and then. He is a quarter horse. Thanks Kaneranch

Yeah I'd definitely do some ground work/bonding with him. I've seen alot of good horses taken to a roping pen and the ole boy just really blow the horses mind, making him think it's "full steam ahead", all the time. When you do get to riding him go on long walks (trails), work on crossing logs, streams, tall grass, etc. that will help him build confidence in you, just be sure that if you are going to do something, say cross a moving creek, that he doesn't get hurt. That will remove alot of the confidence that he has put in you and he will be nervous. He has to trust you as well as you do him. I've been on young horses running through the brush trying to head a cow off and come to a creek or something that you don't have time to scope out before you cross and the horse has to know you will take care of it but you also want to know the horse will take care of you. I'd say if this horse is indeed cowy and only 10 you can get him to relax with some patience from you.

Make sure you are calm too. That helps alot, I know I am guilty of that every now and then with new horses. best of luck to ya.

When you are riding him- instead of trying to slow him down with the reins......

every time he STARTS to pick up the pace- circle him till he comes back under you.
then go straight again.
Over and over and over...........

He'll soon decide on his own hes not getting anywhere fast .

Also throw in some speed up and slow downs on command.
In training-- training the opposite actually fixes what you were after. Want him slower/speed him up .

sounds like you and him need a little more acquainted. i would ride him in a round pen or arena until you get accustom to him if his been use too running hard he will eventually slow down to suit your style. are you feeding him high energy feed and high strung horse aint always a good match. unless he is being used alot

I am feeding him a 14 or maybe 16 percent sweet feed. I was wondering if I should feed him something that is not a sweet feed. Thanks Kaneranch

Alot of horses that have been roped off of when they get a taste of going fast they just want to go and go though. I work at a roping areana on the weekends, and there is a guy that his horse is so calm and slow when he gets there but after about the fifth steer all he wants to do is run. His head raises and he acts terrible in the box. Do you guys think that this would do that to him?

kaneranch":lz1kx9yv said:
Alot of horses that have been roped off of when they get a taste of going fast they just want to go and go though. I work at a roping areana on the weekends, and there is a guy that his horse is so calm and slow when he gets there but after about the fifth steer all he wants to do is run. His head raises and he acts terrible in the box. Do you guys think that this would do that to him?
Thats typical of a performance horse when i was a kid my first rope horse was 20+ years old and a dA## HOSS he would jump off a bluff and never look back but nothing could out run him. it took me a couple of weeks to get in sync with that rascal. also sound like he need alittle break in between runs what we call scoreing cattle run a few then hold him in the box let one run out its the antisapation that making him do this. like he has to blow out off the box every time keep him as quiet in the box as possible

J":1top074u said:
Yeah I'd definitely do some ground work/bonding with him. I've seen alot of good horses taken to a roping pen and the ole boy just really blow the horses mind, making him think it's "full steam ahead", all the time. When you do get to riding him go on long walks (trails), work on crossing logs, streams, tall grass, etc. that will help him build confidence in you, just be sure that if you are going to do something, say cross a moving creek, that he doesn't get hurt. That will remove alot of the confidence that he has put in you and he will be nervous. He has to trust you as well as you do him. I've been on young horses running through the brush trying to head a cow off and come to a creek or something that you don't have time to scope out before you cross and the horse has to know you will take care of it but you also want to know the horse will take care of you. I'd say if this horse is indeed cowy and only 10 you can get him to relax with some patience from you.

Make sure you are calm too. That helps alot, I know I am guilty of that every now and then with new horses. best of luck to ya.

I think a very good suggestion. I also remember a few years ago watching a lady ride her new horse in an outdoor arena, someone had barrels set up. when she ask the horse to jog it was off like a shot to the barrel. She said she knew it was a gaming horse but... May have to work some old habits out of him.

Alan

kaneranch":qr81jfb5 said:
there horses that can run hard and still be calm in the arena the handler has alot to do with this. most ropers work on their roping skills not thinking about the horse and the effect they are having like blowing him up. ive seen this time & time again but too me your can stuff your skills up a hogs rear if you aint got the horse to help you put a run together. rookies are were you'll find your sour and blown up horse's a ol hand can take a horse like this and turn them around usually at a good discount ;-)

kaneranch wrote:
I have started stopping him, backing two feet, and then making him stand there until I am ready to go. Does this sound like the right thing to do to y'all. He also holds his head a little high, some say it will go down with ridding, others say it won't. What do you guys think, I bought him a set of martingales tonight, so I guess I will see how that works out. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Kaneranch

Stopping him, backing two feet, and then making him stand there until I am ready to go.
Works well - also

Howdyjabo wrote:
every time he STARTS to pick up the pace- circle him till he comes back under you.
then go straight again.
Over and over and over...........

He'll soon decide on his own hes not getting anywhere fast .

Alan":2shecz14 said:
the head set
Be careful of the martingale (sp) if the horse is'nt use to it the horse may freak and even flip over, as I said earlier I wouldn't about the head set right now, but if you want to work on it now draw reins may be better suited for your needs.
JMO,
Alan

Head Set sounds as If he has been riden with a Tie Down
Martingale and Draw Reins work the same

For head set see my other post with (Link) - run your reins back through the hole under the horn in your saddle and hook them to the rope in that link.

V-KEY wrote:
Martingale and Draw Reins work the same

I may be wrong because I don't use a martingale, but I believe a martingale has leather strips that connect directly to the headset from the chest area. the riens then go through rings in those strips, while you can pull the head down through the rings, the head can go up as far a the strips allows. You have an absolute stop point. Draw riens just have rings at the end of short strips from the chest area, not attached to the head set. Allowing the head the freedom to come up, while still being able to draw the head down.

Alan

kaneranch":ou9466p8 said:
I am feeding him a 14 or maybe 16 percent sweet feed. I was wondering if I should feed him something that is not a sweet feed. Thanks Kaneranch

I would feed the horse only grass hay until you get to a comfortable point with him. He doesn't need that extra energy at this time and neither do you.

kaneranch":3e7os15h said:
I guess I have a set of draw reins. Thanks Kaneranch
you can get your a$$ in trouble quick when your go to working on his head set so be carefull and dont over do it. is he riding againts a tie down?

Latest posts