Training Cattle Dog

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Basically, I have been blessed with a border collie (mix I'm betting). His first reaction to a 4 month old bull was to run and hide behind me. My question is how do you teach a dog to work livestock?

[email protected]

Number one rule is not to work cattle with the dog until it's a year old. A pup started too young on cattle can very easily lose its confidence and never be a good working dog.

The pup needs to bond with you first of all. Take it everywhere with you and spend as much time as possible with it.

Work with the pup so that it WANTS to come to you. Praise it all you can, and set up situations whenever you can so the pup will do whatever it is you want done "right" so you can praise it. I cannot emphasize Praise rather than Punish enough. It's a very important concept.

There are books out and I think the website I'm thinking of is ranchdog.com.

Border collies are often started on ducks and sheep first, so that's something to look into.

Rafter L Murray Greys

You don't TEACH a dog to work livestock. It is a natural instinct. You TEACH a dog how to work livestock in a helpful manner. First thing, is teach him to sit, stay, and come. REWARD - REWARD - PRAISE - PRAISE. No PUNISHMENT! If you punish a dog, they will not come to you. A dog that won't come is WORTHLESS. When training a pup, I keep "goodies" in my pockets at all times. When he comes, he is praised mostly but also gets a little treat. I don't believe in waiting for a year to let the dog work cattle. But you must use common sense. If the dog gets hurt, it can ruin it for life. Keep the dog on a leash when near the animals, and watch his attitude. He may never work livestock if he doesn't have the instinct. Jeanne
> Basically, I have been blessed
> with a border collie (mix I'm
> betting). His first reaction to a
> 4 month old bull was to run and
> hide behind me. My question is how
> do you teach a dog to work
> livestock?

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

In your opinion what breed makes the best cattle dog?

> Number one rule is not to work
> cattle with the dog until it's a
> year old. A pup started too young
> on cattle can very easily lose its
> confidence and never be a good
> working dog.

> The pup needs to bond with you
> first of all. Take it everywhere
> with you and spend as much time as
> possible with it.

> Work with the pup so that it WANTS
> to come to you. Praise it all you