Trailer Tire BLOW OUT - 2

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
I leave work early yesterday afternoon and head two hours away to pick up a rotary cutter I bought. Pulling a 20' gooseneck flatbed with 14 ply Hankook 7.50R16 LT tires. Tires are in good shape and correctly inflated. On the way home on Hwy 60 at Mountain Grove I have a blow out. Spare is a little questionable no doubt there. Tire was seperating a little bit but took and held air. Get the other side of Cabool or roughly 20 miles and the spare blows out. There I sit with 3 tires. I managed to limp the trailer to a safe locale and dropped it. Had another blow out about a year ago on the same trailer. I've used this trailer a lot hauling tractors and hay so I'm certain there is nothing wrong with the trailer causing this. Got to be the tires. Must be dry rotted but not visable or I'm having a heck of a run of bad luck.

All of that to say what brand and ply rating do you folks have good luck with on your tandem axle single wheel goosenecks? Would you worry more about ply or lb rating?

I'm always hauling under approximately 14,000lbs and generally a couple of thousand less than that. After looking up these tires they are 14 ply but rated at 3,330lbs. I put some Hercules Power STR 12 ply rated at 3,960lbs on a stock trailer not to long ago but haven't ran them enough to determine if I like them.

I don't know if your trailer can clear lt235/85r16, Goodyear makes a 14ply unisteel tire. Very strong well made tire. I have a customer that hauls cars for Carmax with triple axle trailers that switched to these and hasn't had any problems. Only bad part is they are about $400 each.

I always have a block of wood in the tool box. You can jack the trailer up take the blown tire off. Place the block of wood under the equalizer and you can go down the road with three tires until you can get to a place to get a new tire. Tires deteriorate even when not being used. I think all of them have shelf life.

We have a mix of new tires on our trailer, I think one is firestone truck tire, another is a Carlisle, and then we have one that is a 14ply (don't know brand). All are new. Have had good luck with our tires, other than that one 14ply the rest are 10ply.

I had a problem with my trailer blowing up tires on the same axle. Checked it out and the axle was bent. Replaced the axle and no further tire problems.

I can handle slow leaks and slightly bald tires, but if I see a separated tire it becomes an immediate change of tires. Never know with separations in tires, they tend to look okay then blow at the worse times.

you can limp that trailer on home on 3 tires.been there done that with a friend hauling hay years ago.except we didnt have a spare with us because we blew a tire and had the guy we was hauling for or it couldve been my dad cant remember drive 20mi to bring us a tire.

Latest posts