Trailer Floor Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I have a cattle trailer I bought new about 10 years ago. It seems to be pretty well made, but they used 1 x 4's for the floor runners, and placed them right up against the sides. As you can imagine, they need replacing, and with them tight up against the side I'm concerned that it's holding trash and moisture there. I'm thinking of using 2 x 6's, and putting them about 8" away from each side. Any thoughts?

What are the runners connected to on the ends? I think I would do what you want but only about 3 or 4 inch's if I understand it right. I would hate for a big bull to tromp down on the cantilevered part and break the board.

I think what rafter means is the boards placed down on top of the floor running the length. . To help with slipping and such. I have 2x8 down each side and down the middle in mine and yes I wish I had held them out away from the sides a bit . maybe not 8 inces but a couple of inches.

Yes that makes much more since than what I was thinking. I have seen lots of folks use 2 x'4's and 2 x 6's.
I agree against the wall is probably the worse spot.

Fence is right. I'm sorry I didn't explain better, but I did mean the boards on top of the floorboards running the length of the trailer on each side. There won't be any voids, and nothing cantilevered.

Latest posts