Tractor tubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Going to have to buy a new set of 20.8x38 for my 1086 this fall was also thinking of buying new tubes while i was at it. Is there a prefered brand or is a tube a tube.

Thanks

Thanks jltrent. Im going to put fitestone tires on it, guess i might as well put the matching tubes. After these tires this old tractor is just about completely restored

I will its not a show room restore. New paint, lights, enterior and soon new tires. I wanted to cry when i priced them but the old ones look like racing slicks and are cracked all over the sidewalls

Called around firestone field & road II, 2 new tubes them coming out and putting them on total was around $2300. Could go cheaper tires but want to buy American and quality. Why are all expenses in ag in thousands of $$$. Gotta buy a bull this fall, tires for tractor and bushog, and trying to reseed/fertilize hay ground. I need to catch a break

Ky cowboy":3rglflfg said:
Called around firestone field & road II, 2 new tubes them coming out and putting them on total was around $2300. Could go cheaper tires but want to buy American and quality. Why are all expenses in ag in thousands of $$$. Gotta buy a bull this fall, tires for tractor and bushog, and trying to reseed/fertilize hay ground. I need to catch a break

I feel your pain. Inputs never go down but we just took a 50% cut in pay over the last 2 years! Ain't fair. Cattle producers need to strike and have a Boston Tea Party on imported beef.

I still haven't bought tires, trying to limp thru the rest of this fall. Now I'm trying to decide if I need 20.8x38 or 18.4x38 only thing I use it for is bushogging and hay work. I know the 18.4s are cheaper, just curious how it would look, and how much they would drop the tractor height (wouldn't hurt to drop it. Lot of hill ground)

I think new tractor tires are a worthwhile investment. I have never regretted putting them on I get many years out of them and it brings the tractor back to its full potential.

Ken

I put 18.4 38 firestone 23 degree on my 10 last year love them. I think it looks fine my duals are 18.4 so not much choice.

littletom":2vv5rg62 said:
I put 18.4 38 firestone 23 degree on my 10 last year love them. I think it looks fine my duals are 18.4 so not much choice.

I bushog a lot of steep hill ground, and sometimes wet ground, the farm is surrounded by cliffs on one side and water seeps out from under them. I worry bout the 18.4s being to narrow and causing problems with getting hung up. I'm going to have to get them the sidewalls are cracked about every 4 inches all the way around the outside of both tires.
Do you think there won't be a noticeable difference in height of the tractor with 20.8 vs 18.4s

littletom":1t7kkv3a said:

I also need new tires for my 1086 and was planning on staying with 20.8's. This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't 18.4 duals work? That was my plan, but now you have me wondering if that will work?

After looking into it a bit it looks like the 20.8's are about 3" taller than 18.4's, I didn't think it would be that much. Would still work for normal tillage, but probably would leave some ruts in soft ground that is going into alfalfa. Might have to scrap that idea.

Ky cowboy":1e85i5wm said:
Would you put 20.8 or 18.4
Ky cowboy":1e85i5wm said:
Would you put 20.8 or 18.4

I'd go with 20.8. Traction, height, and Speed will suffer with the smaller size. I'm with wbvs, it is a good long-term investment as long as you don't log a lot of road miles. That said always go with what you can afford. If you don't do much field work you don't really have to have firestones. Happy Hunting.

If you like the size and look of what you have I wouldn't change it. My tractor had 18.4 so I went back with that. I have axle mount duals that are on my tractor 80% of the time. I may be wrong but bigger tires would not have the gap between them I desire. My tractor is only used for tillage pulling a moldboard plow and 496 disk. I used my old tires I took off for my duals about 35% tread. I would for sure want the same size for duals. I think anyone would like the 23 degree tires. I wanted them for another tractor but they did not come in that size.

Latest posts