Tractor tire chains

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I have a Ford 5000 diesel with loader and grapple. Also has a bale unroller on the back. In winter, I have to pick up a bale on the back before I can pick one up with the grapple. If there is even an inch of snow on the ground, I will just spin once I pick up a bale with the front unless I do that. Now, I have purchased another tractor, this one uses both remotes for the loader, so I have no way to pick up a bale on the back (no squeeze function). I have never used tire chains on a tractor before, and they are expensive. Are they going to be enough, without adding weight to the back? If I still have to add weight, I might as well just rig up a weight for the 3 point and not spend the 450 on chains. The tractor is an AC 185.

I don't think chains are going to do it for you. Your problem is you are getting too light on the back for traction. Adding chains will gain you some traction but you really just need more weight on the back. I think you have a few options. Fill the tires with fluid, hang some steel weights on the wheels, plumb the loader hydraulics into a power beyond block and rig up a joystick control, get a 3 point carrier that doesn't require hydraulics, or get a tractor with mechanical front :cboy: .

Yeah, have already been thinking of re-plumbing the hydraulics for other reasons as well. I make the cows pay for the equipment so I can't afford anything with MFWD. I might just rig up a weight that I can put on the 3 point.

Sounds like you just need to buy a bale spear for the rear that works off the 3pt. Should be only a couple hundred bucks. Water can be a pain, wheel weights or rigging some thing could cost as much as the spear, none will be as useful.

novaman":384nu22u said:
but you really just need more weight on the back. I think you have a few options. Fill the tires with fluid, get a 3 point carrier that doesn't require hydraulics, .

Have an old JD POS. Will not go w/o a bale on the back. Just too light even with fluid in the tires.
Have an even older JI Case 730. Much heavier and handles the snow pretty well, but got it stuck once today.
How does a no 3 pt carrier work??? Could have used one on the JI Case.

Brute 23":1wikxsd7 said:
Sounds like you just need to buy a bale spear for the rear that works off the 3pt. Should be only a couple hundred bucks. Water can be a pain, wheel weights or rigging some thing could cost as much as the spear, none will be as useful.
Never even crossed my mind, don't know why. Good idea, thanks!

If the 185 has power spin outs, rear wheel weights for it are common at most salvage yards.

I think the chains are well worth the investment. Even on my heavy 100 horse loader tractor with pleanty of weight I still need chains in the winter and having them is remarkeable. A 5000 is a decent size tractor with good enough weight, get the chains. Any two wheel drive tractor, large or small is still just a two wheel drive and is handi capped any time a lot of weight is on the front or going in reverse up a slippery grade.

Suzie Q":379g7o22 said:
We have water in our wheels. It hasn't been a pain to us. We have a little David Brown and pick up round bales with that.

We use to run alot of water in our tires and it was a family job to get a rear tire off and on to a trailer if you had a flat. When your walking 5-6' of water filled tire up a 2x12 and it starts falling your way... If you try to keep it up you take the chance of getting crushed.... You turn it loose to get out of the way and the family ridicule lasts a life time. :D Idk, maybe yall have a better way of doing it.

Brute 23":1yy14qmu said:
We use to run alot of water in our tires and it was a family job to get a rear tire off and on to a trailer if you had a flat. When your walking 5-6' of water filled tire up a 2x12 and it starts falling your way... If you try to keep it up you take the chance of getting crushed.... You turn it loose to get out of the way and the family ridicule lasts a life time. :D Idk, maybe yall have a better way of doing it.
Yeah. Pump the fluid out before you do anything else. It can be a pain but it is much cheaper than buying steel weights.

I have never heard of running water in the rears, or maybe that is not what you actually meant. I run chloride or beet juice and have a tire service company come and work on the tires. My duals are not loaded, just way to dangerouse to move a loaded dual around.

hayray":2cfcgvgn said:
I have never heard of running water in the rears, or maybe that is not what you actually meant. I run chloride or beet juice and have a tire service company come and work on the tires. My duals are not loaded, just way to dangerouse to move a loaded dual around.
Hayray them boys in the south can run straight water as they usually don't get below freezing much and alow of 20 is rare
I have run CC but the last few yrs we have been running methanol as an additive to the water to keep it from freezing it won't eat the rims up like CC will

Angus Cowman":1sbs4yw2 said:
hayray":1sbs4yw2 said:
Hayray them boys in the south can run straight water as they usually don't get below freezing much and alow of 20 is rare
I have run CC but the last few yrs we have been running methanol as an additive to the water to keep it from freezing it won't eat the rims up like CC will
The methonal stuff is what I use. In the desert we filled the tires with sand for traction, talk about a pain in the butt.

I now have a 4WD - but previously always fed with a 2WD. We use the 3-point hitch spear on the back (and front). Run chains on both tractors. Out here, pretty much everyone loads the tires. Dealing with snow & mud most of the year.
Without a bale on the rear, even with chains, you don't want to try to back UPHILL (even a slight hill). You just sit there (with 2WD). I learned to be very creative in where/how I drove around with a bale on the front.
Now, I go everywhere - love it love it :banana: can't believe how much easier it is with 4WD (but we still have loaded tires & chains).

Brute 23":3n4jqgn8 said:
Suzie Q":3n4jqgn8 said:
We have water in our wheels. It hasn't been a pain to us. We have a little David Brown and pick up round bales with that.

We had to put a new inner tube in our rear David Brown Tractor. The guy just put the valve to the ground. The inner tube wasn't going to be used any more so he chopped it, and let the water out before doing anything else.

He also put water back into it for me. He put the valve at the tope and just fills it to the valve.

Other than the time it took to remove the water and put the water back in, and the fact that the ground was already saturated and did not need to be watered, it wasn't much of a hassle for him.

I think those are called dual grips, I have those on one of my tractors, the other one that goes down the road a little in the winter has the regular links. Same here, everything is loaded and everything has chains.

Got the chains. Very happy with that decision. Although, I wasn't happy at first,......what a PITA to put on! But they did the trick even without weight on the back. If anyone has any tips for getting them tight, I'm listening. I put them on, rolled up and down the drive, tightened them up a bit. Repeat. I did some traveling on them today and they didn't fall off, can't get another link on 'em, so I must have done something right.

Latest posts