Tractor tire chains

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I had typed out a long explanation and wanted to post a picture of an easy way to mount chains but this site has the most stupid and idiotic method of posting pictures of any of the sites I have seen, it erased my whole message twice once I went to copy the pictue of that stupid ranchersnet photo gallery site, any ways, drape the chains on top of the tire first, pull the slack down and connect the inner link first. If then you cannot connect the out link use a bungee cord to pull the link ends together and drive forward or backward a couple of feet and then try again. The hardest part is on big chains is pulling them up over the top of the tire but with this method only takes my 10 minutes. Make sure the chain is not twisted or turned inside out also.

Mine are the double rings. How do you know if they are inside out? The links on the ends of each single row have ends that are curled around the outside ring. Should the open (pinched) end be inside or outside?

manurespreader1.jpg

manurespreader2.jpg

I have found that it is better to leave them just a bit loose rather than having them good and tight. Part of my problem, though, is the bars are my tires are spaced so where the cross chain would go between the bars and added very little traction. By keeping them a bit loose the cross chain stays on top of at least one bar. Maybe I've just got some odd tires?

novaman

You need to get yourself some DUO Double ring chains. Wow you wanna talk traction, however anything loose on the tractor won't be for long, it will be broke off.

Dun

how many times have them chains come off putting them on that way? Or doesn't the snow get deep there?

bannedagain":254okgur said:
Dun

how many times have them chains come off putting them on that way? Or doesn't the snow get deep there?
Not my pictures, just posted as I was asked to.

What are you talking about, those chains stay on those tires all winter long and never come off, maybe you ought to read my post on how to mount the chains before you make a statement like that, expert.

hayray":1sua7qu4 said:
What are you talking about, those chains stay on those tires all winter long and never come off, maybe you ought to read my post on how to mount the chains before you make a statement like that, expert.
New one to me, you put chains on like that here and they wouldn't stay on for a day hauling manure in the field. The snow would take those right off for you then they would be under the tire as your stuck. Glad they work for you that way. Worst part is you don't even know whats wrong do you?

Those chains stay on my tractors for 4 months at a time, in deep muck, mud, and snow and have been doing it that way for years. How about you post some pictures of your set up so you can show us how it is all done correctly? Also like to see how you put on a set of chains that weighs 300 lbs. per side?

hayray":2783qo5s said:
Those chains stay on my tractors for 4 months at a time, in deep muck, mud, and snow and have been doing it that way for years. How about you post some pictures of your set up so you can show us how it is all done correctly? Also like to see how you put on a set of chains that weighs 300 lbs. per side?
Yeah pictures won't help you any. Wanna hint it has nothing to do with how you get them on the tire you have the left on the right and the right on the left. Look at the over center buckle. By the way we use 18.4 46's on both the drive and duals and 14.9 34' s on the front and they ain't those light weight ladder chains your using. Hook the chains on the eye bolts on the rim and drive forward.

OK quit being grumpy & explain so I can understand. How do you have a right & left chain? Never heard of this, maybe we've been lucky, never had a chain come off. what is the over center buckle?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":26jbmy31 said:
OK quit being grumpy & explain so I can understand. How do you have a right & left chain? Never heard of this, maybe we've been lucky, never had a chain come off. what is the over center buckle?
Over center buckle is almost like a over center chain binder but not. The buckle goes thru the chain link and then goes over center to secure the chain. Then the goofy washer slides over the buckle to lock it in place. Now the snow gets deep and hard and starts pushing on the over center buckle, the lock gets loose the snow slides back the lock and pressure on chain pulls over center buckle back over center and chain spins off. Very much the same as those goofy people who put a connecting link on the wrong way of a roller chain and what do you know connecting link comes out and chain either breaks or falls off. Then they blame it on cheap connecting links.

I just looked up a Youtube video done by a company called tirechains.com. They hook the chains the exact same way that I do with the C-hook on the inside and the fold over locking plate on the outside. I was just posting the pics for aid for the fella from Wyoming that was asking for help. Hooking the locking plate on the inside is alot more work and harder because of the position you are in.

hayray":fi1kbav3 said:
I just looked up a Youtube video done by a company called tirechains.com. They hook the chains the exact same way that I do with the C-hook on the inside and the fold over locking plate on the outside. I was just posting the pics for aid for the fella from Wyoming that was asking for help. Hooking the locking plate on the inside is alot more work and harder because of the position you are in.
Inside or outside doesn't matter you have the lock facing the wrong way, just like a connecting link on a roller chain, both are directional.

It does matter, in order for me to put them on the way you are describing then the chains would be inside out and the hooks would gouge into my tires.

bannedagain":37t3ecs0 said:
You need to get yourself some DUO Double ring chains. Wow you wanna talk traction, however anything loose on the tractor won't be for long, it will be broke off.
I don't want to start an argument. I have run the chains a bit loose for several years and never had a problem. However, I am not cruising around in road gear all day. Mostly under 7 mph pulling a feed wagon. At any rate, I parked the 2wd tractor this winter and got a MFWD. I hate messing with chains and still getting stuck when the front end gets buried.