tractor suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Nothing beats a Deere when it comes to parts. And Deere parts cost no more than Ford parts. There both are high as all get out. Some of the 4cyl. MF are good tractors and priced right most of the time. Hard to beat older Ford tractors in, the 3 series thru the 7 series they are tuff.

bman4523":242ldkpw said:
After pricing a few new units I am now looking exclusively at the used market :shock: With that in mind what should one be careful of when looking at the major used brands (JD, CIH, NH, INT, MF, Ford) such as problematic models, parts availability, parts costs etc?
bman
I don't know your budget but a Ford/NH 4630 or 5030 would be good, Case 585 or 685 are pretty good, several JD models in that size range are out there. A lot depends on how much you want to spend. If buying used I would buy something that has a dealer close enough to get parts when you need them.

I would still suggest kubota as my first choice. then john deere would also be fine and a ford or case ih would be to.I don't have personal expierence with mahindra or belarus but i know people that have them and wish they didn't.Now the one i have expierence with and will strongly discourage is kioti they are junk and that is all there is to it. i could go on for a long time about why not to own one but please take my word for it. some of the kioti dealers try to sell them as the brother to the kubota and say that they use the same parts but that is a lie.

Ok, thanks for the info guys, this gives me a good framework to start with.
Bman

50 hp aint enough power to dig the hole to bury a cow in clay or other hard ground unless you plan on chisel plowing the dirt loose first. You need more like 70-100 hp.

No Kubotas here. Too light weight. People buy them because they are cheap. Personally I would get a Massey

MasseyFerg":2jm2qoiv said:
50 hp aint enough power to dig the hole to bury a cow in clay or other hard ground unless you plan on chisel plowing the dirt loose first. You need more like 70-100 hp.

No Kubotas here. Too light weight. People buy them because they are cheap. Personally I would get a Massey

LOL :lol:

a 2003 JD 5520 w/FEL will run ya ~~ 25K

bman4523":2isbmg3s said:
I will be looking to get a tractor later this year (new or used) and would like to know what you all think is a good value tractor. Here is my requirements-
Something that can move around a 4X5 bale (bale spear?)
would like to have a front end loader for moving material like driveway gravel and scooping up cut fire wood
would like a bucket for burying dead cows and digging water lines and septic drain fields and electric lines (thinking minimum 40" digging depth)
3 point to run seed spreader and 5-6' mower
something heavy and powerful enough to drag a harrow over 60 acres of broadcast seed or a drag a dead cow to the hole I dug with the bucket
guess that's about it
I have been living with a Ford 8N on a small acreage pulling a 6' blade for driveway grading and a 5' JD mower and 3 pt post hole digger, but not having a live pto really sucks. Its pretty light also, trying to move much gravel in front of that blade (wheel spin)
thanks for your input, bman

Latest posts