Tractor roll offs

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
That little tree did some damage. One thing I have learned is not depend on the brake lock as sometimes they don't hold. Not mine thank goodness. I knew one guy who put the tractor brake lock on to open a gate and he ran to stop the tractor when it didn't hold. It was a Ford 6600 and he did not make it after a rear wheel ran over him.

Attachments

• tractor broke.jpg
    tractor broke.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
That little tree did some damage. One thing I have learned is not depend on the brake lock as sometimes they don't hold. Not mine thank goodness. I knew one guy who put the tractor brake lock on to open a gate and he ran to stop the tractor when it didn't hold. It was a Ford 6600 and he did not make it after a rear wheel ran over him.
But, he can make really tight right turns now.

I had a Case backhoe/loader that had no brakes whatsoever but it was shuttle shift and I never had a bit of trouble with it but wife put it in the pond once, standing on the brake pedal and hollerin her head off at me.

But, he can make really tight right turns now.

I had a Case backhoe/loader that had no brakes whatsoever but it was shuttle shift and I never had a bit of trouble with it but wife put it in the pond once, standing on the brake pedal and hollerin her head off at me.
I don't think Case ever made a backhoe the brakes worked on.

Here is the guy who got ran over by his tractor going through a gate trying to save the tractor.

That hits close for me, I've had a couple of those experiences that could have ended up that way.
Once I was opening a gate going with a 3000 Ford and a broadcast seeder on the. 3 point. Everywhere we are here involves hills. Was just a little ways from the state road and while I'm opening the gate I look around and see the tractor starting to roll backwards toward the road. Knowing that it's a heavy traveled road I instinctively try to jump in the tractor. It has an old loader frame on it and my coveralls get caught on the frame. Finally got them ripped away and got on and stopped it just as me and tractor were right at the edge of the road.
Then another time going through a hayfield gate headed downhill with a Ford 7710, I'm out opening the gate, never been able to hear much so didn't hear the commotion but thankfully, I looked around to see the tractor coming right towards me. I was able to get out of the way and just watched it run to the bottom of the hill. It had enough momentum it went a good ways on level ground but didn't go through any fences or turn over.

Here is the guy who got ran over by his tractor going through a gate trying to save the tractor.

Thanks for posting. Good for all of us to remember how dangerous our lifestyle can be. Nick

Parking brakes are one of my biggest pet peeves. One thing that will never work for long on any machine, SXS, tractor, truck, whatever. Especially on tractors where many are now mounted in the transmission and require splitting to repair.

If given the choice I would rather not own something that uses a parking brake, just put a stupid pawl in the transmission.

I've found one of the biggest reasons parking brakes wear out is guys set them and then forget to release them before driving off. Do that a few times and suddenly they are worn enough they won't hold under a big load.
And all of the material that used to be your brake pads has traveled throughout your hydraulic system in the process, if it's a wet system.

You are correct. Then oil is the bottom of the sump feels like a sand slurry. Eats up aluminum hydraulic pumps pretty quick. Replace a fair number of pumps for customers due to this.

The best parking brakes are ones that are in the driveline and are gear multiplied by the final drives. Meaning a relatively small brake has tons of multiplied holding power. Then it's needs to be adjust right and tight so if you try to drive the tractor with it engaged it stalls the tractor before it moves.

My place is either pretty flat or too darn steep to be on with a tractor. But when I park I tend to use either the front end loader or the back blade which is generally on the 3 point of the little tractor. Put either one of those into the ground will hold better than the parking brake. And easier to use too.

Latest posts