Tractor roll offs

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is the guy who got ran over by his tractor going through a gate trying to save the tractor.

I learned a long time ago before i was 16.... to walk-not run, to shutdown equipment, turn wheels, block a wheel, use two hands, make several trips, wear safety glasses & ear plugs. On the vintage tractor i had...when starting it from the outside....I had a special block i used to depress clutch, regardless of being in neutral (cause you never know)...and i would bump the starter super fast to check for movement...before i started it. God gives you two eyes, two ears, two legs, two arms, two kidneys, two of a lot of things and lots of fingers...but it sure sucks living without one of them.

The tractor ended up on top of his foot, he was able to slide his foot out of his boot, the boot stayed until we got the tractor back up.
He ended up with a sprained ankle, gashed to the head, and a lot of bruises.

I've found one of the biggest reasons parking brakes wear out is guys set them and then forget to release them before driving off. Do that a few times and suddenly they are worn enough they won't hold under a big load.
It definitely is.. but if the parking brake REALLY worked you'd notice it
Our IH684 has a worn out park brake because of that, never did work great. Now I just shut it off

Friend's grandpa lost an IH574 while baling, had to go roll a bale and the tractor went for a drive.. down about a 200 yard cliff and into the fraser river, I think the part of the tractor was recovered years later, though it was absolutely worthless

I've found one of the biggest reasons parking brakes wear out is guys set them and then forget to release them before driving off. Do that a few times and suddenly they are worn enough they won't hold under a big load.

It's just about the only reason. The problem is that whatever buzzer or flashing light gizmo they use to alert the operator seems to never work forever and it's just a matter of time until someone leaves it on and smokes it. A parking brake used properly will last almost indefinitely in a perfect world, but humans aren't perfect.

One of the best I have seen is on our Valtra, the parking brake is built into the shuttle, impossible to leave it applied. The "parking brake" is really just a cable hooked to small hydraulic cylinder that tugs on the brake levers after the wheel cylinders, the cylinder has a heavy spring inside, hydraulics release it and the spring applies it. Tractor isn't going anywhere unless the cable breaks. The Fins were using their brains a little for that one.

Remember years back they found a 65 hp tractor with a 6 foot bush hog running PTO on with the tractor in neutral. Just sitting with no body around until they started looking and found body parts slung everywhere. Found some of the corpse wrapped around underneath the hog. Discovered it was a woman's remains. She was the owner of the tractor. Never heard how it happened. Can only imagine her last thoughts when it happened. Would sure be a bad way to die.

Remember years back they found a 65 hp tractor with a 6 foot bush hog running PTO on with the tractor in neutral. Just sitting with no body around until they started looking and found body parts slung everywhere. Found some of the corpse wrapped around underneath the hog. Discovered it was a woman's remains. She was the owner of the tractor. Never heard how it happened. Can only imagine her last thoughts when it happened. Would sure be a bad way to die.
I wear my seatbelt for repetitive work like slashing and plowing. I don't trust myself not to fall asleep. About 12 months ago a local woman lost both legs and an arm, she got thrown from the seat of a FE 35 Fergie and went under the slasher when it went over a rock hidden in the long grass.

I wear my seatbelt for repetitive work like slashing and plowing. I don't trust myself not to fall asleep. About 12 months ago a local woman lost both legs and an arm, she got thrown from the seat of a FE 35 Fergie and went under the slasher when it went over a rock hidden in the long grass.
Had a summer job working for the hwy department when I was in college mowing the ditches. One guy rolled his tractor over up side down when he ran off of a culvert. He had a sickle cutter attached on the side of the tractor that he was using to mow around sign post. He was hanging up side down still fastened in the seat by his seat belt. A couple of guys had to hold him up with their shoulders while some else unlatched his seat belt to get him down. I don't have seat belts on any of my tractors but should have. I tend to run my tractor pretty fast when cutting or raking hay. Many of times I have had a back wheel off of the ground while turning too fast. That's a bad habit that I have been trying to quit. It's something I have just gotten complacent about doing. And I really should install seat belts on my tractors.

Remember when I was a boy catching the school bus. Our bus drive was killed when the old John Deer tractor that had the tricycle front wheel flipped straight up and back over on a disc implement he was pulling. That was over 50 years ago and would bet tractors back then didn't have seat belts but in that situation a seat belt probably wouldn't have done any good.

Had a summer job working for the hwy department when I was in college mowing the ditches. One guy rolled his tractor over up side down when he ran off of a culvert. He had a sickle cutter attached on the side of the tractor that he was using to mow around sign post. He was hanging up side down still fastened in the seat by his seat belt. A couple of guys had to hold him up with their shoulders while some else unlatched his seat belt to get him down. I don't have seat belts on any of my tractors but should have. I tend to run my tractor pretty fast when cutting or raking hay. Many of times I have had a back wheel off of the ground while turning too fast. That's a bad habit that I have been trying to quit. It's something I have just gotten complacent about doing. And I really should install seat belts on my tractors.

Remember when I was a boy catching the school bus. Our bus drive was killed when the old John Deer tractor that had the tricycle front wheel flipped straight up and back over on a disc implement he was pulling. That was over 50 years ago and would bet tractors back then didn't have seat belts but in that situation a seat belt probably wouldn't have done any good.
My tractor is an older Kubota, no cab but my seat is well enclosed by the guards and a 4 post roll over protection, I feel secure in it however I appreciate the seatbelt still being there and in reasonable condition, just adds that extra level of security and buys me a bit of extra time to react if I do fall asleep or hit something that might dislodge me.

Ken

One thing I have tried to start doing more often is to just turn the wheels to where it won't run over me if the brake does fail. I had my side x side pin me up against a gate one time. Luckily the ground was fairly flat and I was able to wiggle out. Makes you think though.

Latest posts