Tractor purchase question...

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
I have never purchased a new tractor from a dealer. Looks like I will be doing just so in the next week or so. ( I got the best wife)...Anyway, I need to know just how much haggling over the price I should expect. Is there any room to negotiate on the prices. I am looking at the JD 5303 with a loader...I'm north of Dallas. Do I need to call some more "rural dealers" to price shop or what's my best bet here..
Second question is the 4 wheel drive..Do I REALLY need it. My old tractor didn't have it and I never got stuck.. It adds a bit to the price, which might cause me to consider the 5203 instead.
THANKS

Definitely you need to shop. When I buy a new tractor or truck I will get 3 quotes from them pick out the best price and better repair shop, that is where I will do my business.
If you are going to get a loader on the tractor you will be very proud of the 4 wheel drive and weights on the rear wheels.

Of the 2 JD dealers that are more or less local, one will make deals and the other is strictly by MSRP

Bought a new flatbed a couple years back. Called every dealer within 6 hrs (10 or 12 of them) that carried the mfg I wanted and spec'd the same trailer, ended up being a $2000 dollar swing. When I called each dealer I told them what I was doing and said the lowest bidder would sell a trailer, he did.

Start an equipment rental co. All you have to do is register an assumed name at your county court house. Then get a tax number, with the state or IRS. Send out an invitation to bid to dealers within a certain distance from you location. You will be amazed at the discounts you can get on tractors and many other pieces of equipment. These discounts even are past down in parts purchases in the future.

There is a tremendous amount of room on a tractor, especially if you're looking at something in 80K range. Don't be afraid to bicker, and don't be afraid to walk away. Its not like a car lot where there is alot of turnover. Occasionally, walking away from a deal means you'll get a call from the dealer in a day or two offering the unit at a lower price, especially if its something thats been on the lot for awhile. Remember that buying from your local dealer means quite a bit too, as you'll have a higher priority on warranty repairs than someone who bought hundreds of miles away. Also, don't be unreasonable on your demands, especially if you smell blood, as they need to keep the lights on.

If I were you, I'd look around for a couple months. You've missed the fall discount prices anyway, and it would give you a chance to keep an eye on dealer lots. Watch for tractors that aren't moving. Most dealers get 6 months interest free on tractors, so they'll be more willing to deal on a tractor thats been in inventory for 5 1/2 months.

As for the 2WD vs 4WD, if you've never been stuck, stay with 2WD. MFWD is nice, granted, but if you don't have mud and snow, its simply not worth the extra bucks you'll spend. Plus, if your wife gets mad at you and doesn't allow you a new tractor for another 20 years, 2WDs are cheaper to repair :lol2:

Rod

grannysoo":2imhgx7x said:
You also need to look at lease tractors and demos. Big savings with these if you can find what you're looking for.

Dad last year bought a JD 6420 that had came off of a Railroad lease. It only had 110 hours. There was a pretty big discount.

Wellll, if the salesman will cal me back now...Left 2 messages and sent an email. He hasn't called me back. I sold my old tractor today (that was way too easy)...I'm ready to do a deal on a new one NOW...If I call around, they want to know where you live and when they find out where you are, they say, well that will be an added 10%...I'm not against a man making a living, and I'm not trying to beat the guy up on price, but, If this is any example of how I will get treated later, I may be looking at the wrong color tractor.

texanstraders":34rzq4qp said:
I may be looking at the wrong color tractor.
Sad but true, not disputing the quality, but those "green" prices are quite inflated, new or used.

Well, here's the update. Salesman finally called me back. I had price shopped and found a dealer about 60 miles that was "willing" to sell me a tractor without the 10% fee for being out of his "territory"...The salesman had quoted me a price last friday. On Tuesday when he called me back, he said the price had gone up another $1000, because it was a "new fiscal year" for JD. He would not honor the price from Friday...I was completely unamused (that's being polite)...Needless to say, I couldn't call the other dealer quick enough. That dealer has been superb. He even offered to deliver it and bring all the paperwork to me. I am picking it up on Monday...
I'm not against a dealer making a living, but man I just felt like they were saying "we're it take it or leave it, we don't care". If I owned that dealer, I'd be really mad if my salesman did crap like that.

texanstraders":3qc8uven said:
I'm not against a dealer making a living, but man I just felt like they were saying "we're it take it or leave it, we don't care". If I owned that dealer, I'd be really mad if my salesman did crap like that.

Don't blame the salesman on that one, texan. When dealer programs end, they END and there is absolutely nothing the dealer can do about it. The boss of the local Massey outfit lost a sale on a $350,000 combine this year. He told the customer that the programs were ending on Friday, and he couldn't guarantee price. Come Monday the customer called wanting the unit, but the price had went up $7000 and Massey would NOT honor Friday's price.

Rod

The local JD dealer a couple of weeks ago had 3 tractors with loaders that had been in inventory too long. They had them marked down about 5 grand from normal prices. I was looking at one so they called JD and were able to knock off another 1500. I took it for a test run and it beat me to death so decided to pass on it and they sold it and the other 2 the next day. Now the same tractor set up the same way is around 9k more then I could have bought that one for.

texanstraders":1ntf5bms said:
Well, here's the update. Salesman finally called me back. I had price shopped and found a dealer about 60 miles that was "willing" to sell me a tractor without the 10% fee for being out of his "territory"...The salesman had quoted me a price last friday. On Tuesday when he called me back, he said the price had gone up another $1000, because it was a "new fiscal year" for JD. He would not honor the price from Friday...I was completely unamused (that's being polite)...Needless to say, I couldn't call the other dealer quick enough. That dealer has been superb. He even offered to deliver it and bring all the paperwork to me. I am picking it up on Monday...

I think your salesman screwed up and quoted you the wrong price because even if the program changed he could have predated the paperwork and that is one of the problems I have had with deere the customer service S---------------cks

Angus Cowman":1xi06ghf said:
I think your salesman screwed up and quoted you the wrong price because even if the program changed he could have predated the paperwork and that is one of the problems I have had with deere the customer service S---------------cks

He could NOT have pre-dated the paperwork. Each manufacturer, whether it be JD, Massey, Case/NH, or one of the off-brands, would require the paperwork to be in their hands by close of the last day of the program, otherwise the dealer would have to pay the new price or not receive the kick-back on the program. These rules are HARD AND FAST, with absolutely no exceptions. Even acts of God don't count.

Rod