Tractor loader

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I notice in some pictures posted that people have their loaders lifted high in the air as they mow hay or do other chores. I always carry mine low to the ground to make the center of gravity lower. Why do the people carry it higher? Not saying its wrong and im right just asking.

Wild guess is they are doing that to not block their view. Personally, I don't care for it. I'd much rather have it no higher than my eye view looking straight and level from the tractor. Even then, I would still prefer it to be as low as possible. Granted with the bucket empty there is little chance it can tip the tractor, but we've all seen stranger things happen.

Yeh I carry mine high when mowing. I have lots of rocks hidden in long grass so I like to be able to see as much in front as possible, I do drop it down as soon as I'm running across any reasonable slope. Also when I'm ripping with the subsoiler I will often put it up high to bring the centre of gravity back a bit as with the plow down there is not much weight on the main driving wheels and I feel with it up it transfers more weight to the back. If I am not feeling so lazy I'll just take the bucket off though I like having it on while slashing as I can remove some of the rocks I hit.
Ken

I carry mine high to eliminate the possibility of hitting anything with it when cornering... just high enough to see easily.
Flat ground most of the farm, I lower the loader when navigating sloping ground with a hay bale on the front. And I do mow as close to the fence-line as possible and would damage fence if the loader was low, getting that close.
Likewise the gates are narrow and it's essential to remember to lift the bale (or empty loader) higher than the gate posts either side when turning in.

Drove a larger tractor on a steep farm a few years back that had the wheels ballasted with water... soon as I got the opportunity I had the same done to my own tractor. It was surprising how comfortable the slopes felt with that extra weight right at ground level.

When Iam mowing a hay feild with a fence around it I will raise my loader up for the first couple of rounds so that at the corners I can get closer to the fence. Other than that I leave it low enough to see over. I always take the bucket off unless I need it takes a lot of weight off the front

kenny thomas":30ijnd4o said:
I notice in some pictures posted that people have their loaders lifted high in the air as they mow hay or do other chores. I always carry mine low to the ground to make the center of gravity lower. Why do the people carry it higher? Not saying its wrong and im right just asking.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.Maybe its our age? :D

My loader is quick-tach, but having said that, I just leave it and the bucket on for haying :oops: :oops: :oops: Had the dealer guys take it off when they delivered the tractor.

Scared the hell out of me when neighbor and I went to put the loader back on in the fall. Maybe if I was younger. I don't trust myself too far anymore. One false move while mounting the loader in close quarters and it would be goodbye windshield :shock:

Easier to just leave it all together, and i dont really notice the extra weight out front. I keep the bucket just high enough to clear cut and uncut hay. No need to see right in front :idea:

JW IN VA":ihuajip7 said:
kenny thomas":ihuajip7 said:

I had been thinking that for a while but never mentioned it. I keep mine low for multiple reasons especially bush hogging places I never cut before.

skyhightree1":2pm6cn9l said:
JW IN VA":2pm6cn9l said:
kenny thomas":2pm6cn9l said:

I had been thinking that for a while but never mentioned it. I keep mine low for multiple reasons especially bush hogging places I never cut before.

X2

I keep mine as low as practically possible. Obviously, raise it up and down for maneuvering through lots and obstacles. I try to maintain a high sense of self-awareness, especially when I have weight on the loader, as I am in rolling hills.

I keep mine just below the hood when mowing hay to lower my center of gravity. Bushhogging on steep ground I always have a bucket on the loader. It has saved my bacon more than once when the tractor has broke loose. If I can get that bucket in the ground I can get stopped.

im the same i keep my loader 3 or so feet off the ground.running with the loader high could cause you to turn the tractor over.

I keep it low in rough or brush pasture. I'd rather hit a stump or rock with the bucket than the tractor.
When plowing or planting near fence. I keep it up high for better clearance.

John SD":15trpw96 said:
My loader is quick-tach, but having said that, I just leave it and the bucket on for haying :oops: :oops: :oops: Had the dealer guys take it off when they delivered the tractor.

Scared the be nice out of me when neighbor and I went to put the loader back on in the fall. Maybe if I was younger. I don't trust myself too far anymore. One false move while mounting the loader in close quarters and it would be goodbye windshield :shock:

Easier to just leave it all together, and i dont really notice the extra weight out front. I keep the bucket just high enough to clear cut and uncut hay. No need to see right in front :idea:

Same here, except i just take the bucket off. Loader stays on.

My pet peeve is seeing some one run with the bucket up high
When traveling top of bucket should never be higher than top of hood

You cant see any better with it higher than hood then you can if the top is even or lower than hood

Unless you are manuevering around an obstacle at slow speed

Running with bucket higher than hood is just asking for a wreck hit a hole or bump and your a$$ will be sucking the seat

I see people around here run it high, only reason I could think of was visibility. I never do it except in a tight area at low speed. When doing hay or mowing I just take off bucket and run it low as possible. I have taken the loader off but seemed like I was constantly doing that and the need arose for using the loader for something so it has not been off in years. I have seen loader cylinders and skid steer cylinders bent from carrying a load to high across rough ground and it bouncing making it bend.

tom4018":2zl8h2ok said:
I see people around here run it high, only reason I could think of was visibility. I never do it except in a tight area at low speed. When doing hay or mowing I just take off bucket and run it low as possible. I have taken the loader off but seemed like I was constantly doing that and the need arose for using the loader for something so it has not been off in years. I have seen loader cylinders and skid steer cylinders bent from carrying a load to high across rough ground and it bouncing making it bend.
They seem to think with it up they can see better when in reality it limits vision when up more than when down if they will carry it with the top of bucket no higher than the top of hood

Only thing they can see better is the bucket itself LOL

Latest posts