Tractor HP To Unload Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Curious as to the size of a tractor (HP, Model, Brand Name) that would be "adequate" (without overdoing it) to unload the "second row stack" of 1200-1500# round bales off of a semi-trailer...without endangering the tractor operator...lol.

Also, given the above information, your opinions/suggestions for a decent USED Brand Name/Year Model/HP tractor for perhaps under $15,000???

thanks!

Running Arrow Bill":3g0ndaa3 said:
Curious as to the size of a tractor (HP, Model, Brand Name) that would be "adequate" (without overdoing it) to unload the "second row stack" of 1200-1500# round bales off of a semi-trailer...without endangering the tractor operator...lol.

Also, given the above information, your opinions/suggestions for a decent USED Brand Name/Year Model/HP tractor for perhaps under $15,000???

thanks!

50 hp minimum. You will need to add water to the tires for weight or add weight on the back. Also have the rear tires set as wide as possible. We used a Case IH 585 for over 10 years. It was 52 hp and the loader would lift 2500 lbs. We had the rear axle set so that the tires were nearly 7.5' apart from outside edge to outside edge.

littleboss":3j7twmrc said:
Running Arrow Bill":3j7twmrc said:

thanks!

50 hp minimum. You will need to add water to the tires for weight or add weight on the back. Also have the rear tires set as wide as possible. We used a Case IH 585 for over 10 years. It was 52 hp and the loader would lift 2500 lbs. We had the rear axle set so that the tires were nearly 7.5' apart from outside edge to outside edge.

Just put a fork on the back and keep a bale on it and that should take care of the rear ballast.

Running Arrow Bill":3qleyvm6 said:

thanks!
a 60hp would be enough horsepower an weight to unload a semi of hay.also you need a loader with a 10ft reach.as said keep a bale on the rear hay forks for added weight.

Running Arrow Bill":2sn7wejf said:

thanks!

Look at a JD 4010 / 4020.....with a 148 / 158 loader. $8000-12000.

Its not really HP, but rather size is whats important. Pretty much any medium to full frame tractor, regardless of HP, is going to have enough hydraulic pressure and flow to allow you to unload 1500lb round bales. Personally, I wouldn't goof with a medium frame tractor, but stick to a "full size" tractor for weight and stability.

I'd skip by the 4010/20 suggestion though. Spindles were weak on those tractors and they will fail eventually. Better, more comfortable loader tractors can be had for much fewer dollars. 1086 IHCs, 1105/1135 Masseys, 970/1070/1170 Cases. All of these were available with decent sealed cabs, radios, A/C and heaters. And I've seen good examples of all of the above for less than 10Gs. If you don't mind being a little uncomfortable (no sealed cab or A/C), 1100/1130 Masseys are often available for less than $7000 with a decent loader. Ditto 1206 IHCs.

Rod

Rod makes some good suggestions.. especially regarding 4010/ 4020s and their weak spindles .brother-inlaw uses a 5010 JD Neighbor uses a 1030 case.. likely less than 6 grand for either outfit.

Rod - what's the difference in med frame and full frame?

I've got a 2555 deere (65hp) that I'm sure will out weigh some of the new 80+ hp deere 5000 series tractors.

However, I was thinking a full frame would be the tractors that have a true sub-frame. My old 2555 has no frame? Am I reading you right?

I couldn't even guess how many round bales my 3020 JD has handled. Unloads and stacks all the bales in the fall when we haul them home. Feeds bales everyday all winter, I have never broken a spindle. I've put over 8000 hours on it since I bought her, new tires and replaced a couple leaking hydraulic lines is all I've ever done. Also have 2 1135 Masseys, one with a loader. They shift nice, just not as handy as the little JD. Hydraulics on the Masseys will give you trouble eventually. Good used pumps are getting hard to find.

Subsoil":1cccbw2y said:
However, I was thinking a full frame would be the tractors that have a true sub-frame. My old 2555 has no frame? Am I reading you right?

Nope, I was thinking more along the lines of medium sized "utility" tractors versus what I'd consider full sized "field" or "work" tractors (like a 930 Case or a 4020 JD, although they'd hardly be considered a large tractor by today's standards). I feel if you must have a bale on the 3 pt hitch to maintain stability, the tractor is much too light for loader work. Heck, my 930 is a heavy old pig, and its back end gets light when I lift the occasional hard core bale that I packed too tightly.

I couldn't imagine trying to use something like a JD5205 or a NH TN-A series as a serious loader tractor. I guess JD now calls those compact tractors, and something the size of a 4020 is a utility tractor, but I spent alot of hot summer hours doing field work on a 4020 and have a tough time considering it "utility:. :lol:

Sandy,

I find it interesting how you run across the occasional guy whose never had an issue with their 30/40/42/or 43 series JD spindles. Its certainly not the norm. There is alot of green equipment in my area, and the local machine shop keeps a minimum of 3 spindles machined on the shelf at any one time. Many guys running 30/40/42 and 43 series JDs for loader duty swap to a 50 series or 9/10/11/1270 Case front axle, any of which were indestructible.

As for your 1135 Massey pump issue, 9 times of 10 the hydraulic pump itself is just fine. There is a little $125 bypass valve in the bottom of the pump that will give up the ghost every 6 - 10,000 hours. Replace the bypass valve and away you go. Once again, I see a fair number of JD tractors retrofitting 11 series Massey hydraulic pumps, since they were a better pump. Longer life, more pressure, more flow.

And before you JD guys jump on me, don't get me wrong. I've got a 4020 JD that we've had since it was a year old. They're a fine tractor, but certainly not perfect. And I think its odd that a tractor that was $6800 new is now selling for $10-$14K when there are much better tractors available. I can buy two 1070s or 1086s for the price of one 4020, have equal reliability, equal fuel economy, and much greater comfort.

Rod

I use a Long brand tractor, the largest they make. It is rated at 68 horsepower, I believe. Dont know the number on it right now. It is 4 wheel drive and I load and unload, stack, and feed 1500 large round bales each winter with no problems. I havent had a semi that it wouldnt reach the top row. Put a bale on the back, for safety. That tractor is a good all around tractor, for considerably less money than the big names. It sells for low 20's new, I believe with a front end loader and bale forks. However, the tractor also weighs less than the brand names, so it isnt made as heavy

I have a Mahindra 5500 w/rear wheel weights and have had no troubles unloading 1500lb bales from a semi-trailer. One load was wet from a downpour we ran through on the way home from the hay field (approx 30 mi of rain). No problems with these either. $16,500 new July '04.

I am of the opinion that the HP is not the trouble - it is the size and weight of the tractor - stability is the important issue.

You find one that can handle the bales just be sure it is not unstable with a load on the front.

Bez>

To load and unload my round bales I use either one of my Deere 4850's or my 7930 with 746 loader. All work equally well. They are in the 180 PTO HP range. I grow all my own hay and silage so these tractors do a lot more than move hay bales, but they do it with ease. I must say size is the biggest issue when stacking and moving large, cumbersome round bales. Mine are 5'x6' and can weight about 2000 lbs. The 7930 can load 2 of these bales at once, double bale spike.

Latest posts