Tractor generator question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I had the generator rebuilt on my 8n about 6 months ago. I had to take it to be rebuilt again this week. I am assuming our local shop is doing a quality build, what could be going on with the tractor, for it to need two generators in 6 months. It has also had a battery short out recently. You can probably tell, I'm not much of a mechanic. I guess I'm just a voltage regulator away from a new electrical system. I'm thinking about changing it this weekend.

Other then the battery and the generator abour all that isleft is the ballasting resistor, the regulator and very doubtfully the condensor in the distributor.
Is it 6 or 12 volts? Had a jubilee that was a 6 volt and the battery was changed to a 12 before I got it. I had peculiar problems with the voltage regulator on that one.

It's a 12 volt. It'd probably be money well spent to have a mechanic look it over. I usually just throw parts at something till it runs.

Is everything in the system 12 volt? I thought the 8Ns all started out as 6 volt and most were converted to 12.
Why not jsut get a generic GM alternator and be done with it. That's what I finally had to do with my Model A pickup

Those old things are pretty tough. It may have just been the brushes sticking a bit. Did you try giving it a bit of a tap. Otherwise I'd be a bit suspicious of the rebuild but I guess it depends how far they go with repairing it. Most auto electricians will give a warranty with it.
Ken

dun":ba4pk7fc said:
Is everything in the system 12 volt? I thought the 8Ns all started out as 6 volt and most were converted to 12.
Why not jsut get a generic GM alternator and be done with it. That's what I finally had to do with my Model A pickup

That will fix the problem. I've converted my MF 35 and a Ford 8N over to GM alternators.

Yes, spend the couple extra bucks and get the GM single wire and be done with it, you will probably never need another one. They sell a kit with a bracket online in several places or make one. There are easy wiring schematics all over the web. My Dad has done dozens on 8N's, both my 800 Fords have been converted too.

Generators have to be polorized every time the charging system is work on .if you disconnect battery or anything in charging system.
a generator can charge backwards if not polorazed google it to find out more. Easy and cheapist fix is to put alt. on it.

Mat Man":3l0gkxx2 said:
Generators have to be polorized every time the charging system is work on .if you disconnect battery or anything in charging system.
a generator can charge backwards if not polorazed google it to find out more. Easy and cheapist fix is to put alt. on it.

I knew enough about polarization to try. Still wasn't charging. Took the generator in, and it tested bad.

There is alot of problems with converting 8n's over from 6v to 12v if you do not do it correctly. I know you bought this second hand BF so not saying anything bad about you. First not many folks use an appropriate wiring harness on them which can lead to other issues. I buy them and resell them and will make them 12v I have bought some that even with a alternator still had charging issues but changing all the components out and putting wire harness it ran better.

I put an alternator from a Mazda car in our Leyland 154.. it was 12V but POSITIVE ground... way more charging power and works great.. I'd recommend doing something similar

Is Jeff doing the rebuilds? I have done a bunch of the alternator conversions on old trucks and it is easy. It would be well spent money.

skyhightree1":314smg86 said:
There is alot of problems with converting 8n's over from 6v to 12v if you do not do it correctly. I know you bought this second hand BF so not saying anything bad about you. First not many folks use an appropriate wiring harness on them which can lead to other issues. I buy them and resell them and will make them 12v I have bought some that even with a alternator still had charging issues but changing all the components out and putting wire harness it ran better.
That was the kind of crap I ran into with the old Jubilee

Latest posts