Tractor Break in after an Overhaul ?

Help Support CattleToday:

When we had a new reman engine put in our JD 4960. They recommend using "John Deere break in oil" and changing it at fifty hrs. Probably no hard pulling for the first 50hrs. Should be fine hauling manure.

I'm not a big believer in break in. Run it like you normally would, don't idle too much, and do the first oil change sooner like you mentioned.

Break it in like your going to use it within reason. But vary the RPM and vary the load.

Spreading manure should be OK. I wouldn't go hook to the chisel plow and run her wide open for 10 hours though.

Maybe the first few hours, but I would not baby. Also I would change the oil/filter sooner than recommended. I have one tractor bought new with 6500 hours approximate. After the first few hours a turning plow was put behind and plowed for several days. Till this day it has never needed oil added between changes and runs strong. Just my 2 cents.

Guess I will prefice my last post with don't hook an implement that maxes the tractor out for hours on hours continuous.

Ie: I wouldn't hook my 11 shank chisel behind my 115hp tractor and work it at 110% capacity rolling coal all day long during break in. But I would put that plow behind 180hp all day long.

Just my 2 cents as a small time mechanic that rebuilds a dozen or so motors a year for customers.

Opinions on this vary a lot, but from what I hear, you want a load on it, don't scream it, but work it
I know an old guy that rebuilt a lot of D6 cats, he said as soon as he verified the lube and cooling systems were tight, it was blade down and push dirt

Yes generally "break in" oil has more zinc in it for the bearings. As well as often times has less "friction modifiers" in it so it allows the rings to wear and seat faster.

Latest posts