Town kids - unrealistic expectations

Help Support CattleToday:

I got a couple of high school boys helping now, good kids, clean cut, no tatoo's or rings, respectful, hard working, but they didn't know jack squat about anything, never done anything. Slowly they are learning how to do things, they try hard and are fun to work with. I pay the older one $10 and the younger $8.

I remember the first time I made a dollar an hour, I thought I was rich. Used to bale hay for a penny a bale.

Larry

backhoeboogie":1bwav8qh said:
I had hundreds of tons of limestone that needed to be chopped on the rock cutter. I had tried about everything and gave up on hired help. A college intern was here in engineering for the summer and wanted to give it a try. So I told him I'd pay him $25 a ton for chopped rock. Working evenings and weekends he chopped 115 tons the first week. He felt guilty about taking the check. That was when I explained to him the rock was already sold for $90 a ton.

:lol2: Think how much he would've made working full time! He could've bought his own rock quarry and a passel of yellow painted equipment after a month. Too bad he was just an intern and had to go back to school.

backhoeboogie":2cff0su4 said:
Brute 23":2cff0su4 said:
Your killing me, if the guys that work for me see this.... :p

If I could make that kind of money on ten hired hands like him, I'd retire.

Yes Sir, :nod:

My first real job for other people payed $5 and hour, and that wasn't that long ago. They picked you up, fed you three meals, and took you back home. There was no way of getting out of it. You didn't work you sat in the truck and didn't get paid... no cell phone to call mommy and daddy either.

About 7 years ago I got sick of dealing with "employees" and all the government crap associated with it.
I have two people working for me in a small reclamation business. I told them from now on you are "contractors". I supply the equipment, you supply the labor. You get the job done right and you get paid for it when I do. In the end I ended up with two excellent people who were go-getters and today they own some of the equipment. They make a lot more than wages. We are more like partners than boss and workers. It's worked very well.
Am trying the same type of deal with a couple of concession stands, but it is not turning out too good so far. It would seem that some people can't stand to get a few bucks in their pocket before they need to slack off and blow it!
Incidently one of the reclamation workers is a single mother with three kids and she knows how to get it done! I figure it like this: A mother cat is a better mouser when she knows she's got some kittens to feed!

Alberta farmer":3kzvl9i8 said:
About 7 years ago I got sick of dealing with "employees" and all the government crap associated with it.
I have two people working for me in a small reclamation business. I told them from now on you are "contractors". I supply the equipment, you supply the labor. You get the job done right and you get paid for it when I do. In the end I ended up with two excellent people who were go-getters and today they own some of the equipment. They make a lot more than wages. We are more like partners than boss and workers. It's worked very well.
Am trying the same type of deal with a couple of concession stands, but it is not turning out too good so far. It would seem that some people can't stand to get a few bucks in their pocket before they need to slack off and blow it!
Incidently one of the reclamation workers is a single mother with three kids and she knows how to get it done! I figure it like this: A mother cat is a better mouser when she knows she's got some kittens to feed!

I did the same thing a couple of guys.I had to go thru a few,but the ones that liked it made us all more money.

larryshoat":3o9btwlp said:
I got a couple of high school boys helping now, good kids, clean cut, no tatoo's or rings, respectful, hard working, but they didn't know jack squat about anything, never done anything. Slowly they are learning how to do things, they try hard and are fun to work with. I pay the older one $10 and the younger $8.

I remember the first time I made a dollar an hour, I thought I was rich. Used to bale hay for a penny a bale.

Larry

Larry you got "took". Even I got 2 cents a bale. :lol2: But it is refreshing for an old man to work with a couple of young ones that try to please. As long as they're teachable they can learn to do it.

Latest posts