Tough Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Starting to see these Cows do not need that pampering as bad as I might have thought. We still have ice on ground (melting a little) from the big ice storm and then snow we got.

Was scared because I had some due to calve in Jan and first of Feb. Just got my third snow calf today. Born last night in 20 degree weather all three have been healthy and no problems.

I was paranoid calving in winter and especially when it has been as bad as it has been this winter so far. Not idea, I would rather have March calves but been ok so far.

Guess these girls have been tougher than I thought, one was heifer and other two were 3 year olds having second calf.

Kind of excited about they all been up and eating and walking faster than any of my calves in the past. Hope this is a trait the new bull has passed along and continues.

aplusmnt":3utcibra said:
Starting to see these Cows do not need that pampering as bad as I might have thought. We still have ice on ground (melting a little) from the big ice storm and then snow we got.

Was scared because I had some due to calve in Jan and first of Feb. Just got my third snow calf today. Born last night in 20 degree weather all three have been healthy and no problems.

I was paranoid calving in winter and especially when it has been as bad as it has been this winter so far. Not idea, I would rather have March calves but been ok so far.

Guess these girls have been tougher than I thought, one was heifer and other two were 3 year olds having second calf.

Kind of excited about they all been up and eating and walking faster than any of my calves in the past. Hope this is a trait the new bull has passed along and continues.

Aplusmnt,
You're right, they are tough critters. They can stand heat, cold, wet, dry. IMHO a muddy mess is the hardest thing for newborns to deal with. Give them a clean environment and they can stand most anything.

that just shows you they have the toughness of their ancesters in them.an can calve in all kinds of weather.an tend to the calf an get it off to a running start.

Victoria":2gsblzw6 said:
aplusmnt":2gsblzw6 said:
Born last night in 20 degree weather all three have been healthy and no problems.

But that isn't cold - it's the ones that survive -40 with no problems that are really amazing. :lol:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Victoria":2yxcthyf said:
aplusmnt":2yxcthyf said:
Born last night in 20 degree weather all three have been healthy and no problems.

But that isn't cold - it's the ones that survive -40 with no problems that are really amazing. :lol:

I figured someone from Canada would laugh at our pansy cold here :lol: Don't know how you guys can handle the cold and snow all winter. Here it usually comes and is gone in a couple days. This year has been a little different though. Must be Global Cooling :lol:

Amazing when you go out in the morning and find a cow with a calf under her and snow on their backs and doing just fine.
We don't worry about the cold its the wet that gets us moving them into the barn.
DMc

I figured someone from Canada would laugh at our pansy cold here Don't know how you guys can handle the cold and snow all winter. Here it usually comes and is gone in a couple days. This year has been a little different though. Must be Global Cooling

I somewhat believe this Global Warming thing because; back in the 40's and 50's in NE Nebraska when I was trugging through snow banks going and coming from school there were very few days that the temp got above 32-deg. We had 15 cows that need milking (by hand) morning and evening and others that had hay and chopped corn delivered to their bunks. Until we finally got a water tank heater it took a wood chopping ax to break the ice so the animals could drink. Those calves that came early got to spend at least one night or day on the frozen ground out in the open. All this fun started in mid Nov and hopefully ended about the 1st of Mar. Yea! I know it was up hill all the way also.

Susie David":m4y3thzj said:
Amazing when you go out in the morning and find a cow with a calf under her and snow on their backs and doing just fine.
We don't worry about the cold its the wet that gets us moving them into the barn.
DMc

Yea I knew I had a few do here in Jan, I was sweating that they would come in all that sleet, rain and snow we had. Fortunately they waited till it was all on the ground.

aplusmnt":pw2xgdbk said:
Victoria":pw2xgdbk said:
aplusmnt":pw2xgdbk said:

I figured someone from Canada would laugh at our pansy cold here :lol: Don't know how you guys can handle the cold and snow all winter. Here it usually comes and is gone in a couple days. This year has been a little different though. Must be Global Cooling :lol:

Actually I shouldn't say anything, we've been warmer than that here lately. You might have Global Cooling but we have Global Warming here. :lol: Although, it's been warmer than most years we do always have Chinooks in this area. When those warm winds blow it keeps the temp. nice and melts off the snow, they cause migraines and sinus problems for a lot of people but they keep me sane. Of course we only have one calf on the ground, winter is waiting for us to get into the swing of things before it hits.
I would still rather live here with cold than where there are snakes and tons of bugs. Don't think I could handle that.
:shock:

Victoria":2fx7s5iw said:
aplusmnt":2fx7s5iw said:
Victoria":2fx7s5iw said:
aplusmnt":2fx7s5iw said:

Actually I shouldn't say anything, we've been warmer than
that here lately. You might have Global Cooling but we have Global Warming here. :lol: Although, it's been warmer than most years we do always have Chinooks in this area. When those warm winds blow it keeps the temp. nice and melts off the snow, they cause migraines and sinus problems for a lot of people but they keep me sane. Of course we only have one calf on the ground, winter is waiting for us to get into the swing of things before it hits.
I would still rather live here with cold than where there are snakes and tons of bugs. Don't think I could handle that.
:shock:

Victoria,
I think it's just normal to dread or fear anything that we are not familiar with. Down here snakes and bugs, no problem. Now your winter temps scare me to death. Just what we've grown up with makes us comfortable I guess. And that's a good thing.

We had our winter last week, it got down to 29 and they shut down the main roads and schools for two days. People down here dont know what black ice on the bridge is. Some find out the hard way.

Latest posts