Tough choice to make

Help Support CattleToday:

Coco Donatella":21ewgean said:
hooknline":21ewgean said:
Funny thing about business... He shouldn't have said it on your time, and at the same time you need to leave your personal feelings at the door too
No. He doesnt. It is HIS business. Do you suggest we should start private business owners what they can and cannot do? Very liberal of you hook....
I don't see how it's liberal. Most business decisions should not be made based on emotion. Period.
But, I think he handled it correctly and now that its dealt with, move on. If this guy does his job well, and leaves his opinion at the door, then there's no need to look for a replacement. That's where I think sky has room for improvement. He's still taking it personal. But I'm not in his shoes either. But I do run my own business as well and have had to deal with similar issues.

Hook, first off let me say thank you for agreeing with how I handled it, but I don't know how I couldn't take it person I am of mixed race and thats part of my genetic make up. I am over the initial anger and shock of it all.

Hook, I agree that one frequently has to set their emotions aside in business. Everyday it seems sometimes... :lol: .....but emotions and values are not the same thing. I see this circumstance as standing on principals of right and wrong, not on emotion.
As to your stance being a liberal approach... :roll: ... hardly :lol2:

skyhightree1":3boppui2 said:
Hook, first off let me say thank you for agreeing with how I handled it, but I don't know how I couldn't take it person I am of mixed race and thats part of my genetic make up. I am over the initial anger and shock of it all.
Let me put it this way sky. I wasn't there so I didn't hear how or what was said. But, I'm American Indian, Irish, and German. Throw a racial insult at any one of those and I wouldn't take it personal. Like water off a ducks back. I'm of the opinion that people take what they perceive to be racial insults too far these days. Especially with the melting pot of society where people are often of multiple races, and they get to choose which race they want to be that day.

IMO, feeling the way you do, you should have waited a few days and quietly let him go. The only explanation neccessary is " your services are no longer needed" any more than that and you are opening a can of worms.

I am basing that on your state having the same "at will" hiring law as Missouri.
If you give him a reason you had better be sure you haven't let it slide on someone else.

I only choose and claim one race everyday and thats the "Human Race" Yea, I typically care less what someone says about me but to do it on my time and property struck a nerve.

Given that I did preface my remark with an agreement on the handling of the situation, I completely agree with Hook on this. I too am mixed, it just happens that those that made me were white. I didn't do anything wrong to any other race color or creed, but i have to be careful what I say so that I do not offend someone? By the way, when is white history month this year?

danl":3blxxy7q said:
IMO, feeling the way you do, you should have waited a few days and quietly let him go. The only explanation neccessary is " your services are no longer needed" any more than that and you are opening a can of worms.

I am basing that on your state having the same "at will" hiring law as Missouri.
If you give him a reason you had better be sure you haven't let it slide on someone else.

i didnt do that because i wanted my other workers to know in no un certain terms will i tolerate it at all. No i dont let that slide no matter what race or who you are.

melking":1jawylpt said:
Given that I did preface my remark with an agreement on the handling of the situation, I completely agree with Hook on this. I too am mixed, it just happens that those that made me were white. I didn't do anything wrong to any other race color or creed, but i have to be careful what I say so that I do not offend someone? By the way, when is white history month this year?

Melking I am glad to have looked that up for you heres what i found. You have remaining months of April July August and Dec to decide which you want it to be. Which would you like for it to be? :lol:

http://www.diversitycentral.com/calenda ... hguide.php

For those that think he took it too personally I think you need to walk a mile in his shoes.

I don't think he took it too personal. I think he's potentially basing his future business decision on his personal feelings. He handled it well I think. And I'm sure he will continue to.

Skyhigh,

I think you and I are alike in that we do multiple things to make a living. It can be very hard sometimes to shift gears as much as we do. Many people here experience long days, but not wearing a bunch of different hats. I appreciate that you don't want this gentleman to defame your business by making idiotic comments around customers.---------I wasn't there, so I don't know what was said, but it is hard to dictate to employees what they say in conversations with coworkers. Yes, to me it boils down to respect. He should have enough respect for his job, or you for that matter not to speak that way.

Just a suggestion,
In the future rather than make an issue of it, make a note of it. Its always better when employees feel its their job performance that is lacking rather than their social skills. Just throwing that out there if you get my drift. I'm sure your not vendictive, but you never want to give an employee a stick to beat you with later.

Bigfoot, I don't need any sticks breaking my bones and completely agree. I thank everyone for basically saying it was handled pretty well. I like talking and getting various opinions from everyone so I can try to find a medium ground to everything. I personally do not like firing someone especially this day and age where there is so many without jobs i dont take that lightly at all. It is also hard to keep businesses running these days and I do not need anymore bumps in the road the economy is a bump enough.

skyhightree1":1fuk440z said:
melking":1fuk440z said:

Melking I am glad to have looked that up for you heres what i found. You have remaining months of April July August and Dec to decide which you want it to be. Which would you like for it to be? :lol:

http://www.diversitycentral.com/calenda ... hguide.php

Touche Sky, Touche

Racism? How the guy wiews women is the worst thing about it. African ancestry just breeds extra pigment. To have a woman beaten up every day as a considered alternative? Simply evil.

ANAZAZI":17zoi7n4 said:
Racism? How the guy wiews women is the worst thing about it. African ancestry just breeds extra pigment. To have a woman beaten up every day as a considered alternative? Simply evil.

You are 100% correct! If I were a customer I sure would not want to hear that said about anyone's daughter let alone mine :mad:

The worker is entitled to his own opinion on his own time; not on your time or your property. It's called loyalty! If an employee is not loyal he/she is a liability instead of an asset!

Agreed but I will tell everyone this its kinda been really weird between us and I hired another guy that can step in and take his place tomorrow and he knows it hes been working as usual and pulled me aside and asked me was I going to fire him a couple of times. I told him no that was not my plan and he asked why I hired the other guy I said hes my insurance incase you spout off again with your opinion while on my clock or representing my company. I think he got the point.

Latest posts