Tordon herbicide...anyone with experience?

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
I have traditionally used a a broadleaf herbicide called Potreron, which when I googled it, I came up with Paraquat. Potreron was formerly sold by a company called AgroIslena. Now that the gubmint has nationalized AgroIslena, it is next to impossible to find Potreron.

I can find Tordon.

Any advice?

Tordon 22 in my area is mostly used for brush and cactus control. It is to expensive to use as a general broadleaf type spray by itself. I use it to kill prickly pear. It works well but you have to be patient.

:lol2: Ok got me there.
The power companies used it here years ago and paid for a lot of acres of tobacco. The tobacco plant is super sensitive to tordon.

Tordon 22 has picloram as it's active ingredient. Picloram is the P in Grazon P+D. If you look at a Grazon label you will see what % of each. Here in US it is cheaper to buy Grazon P+D than to buy 2,4-D and picloram and mix your own.

Picloram is on the EPA hit list since it is very persistant in the soil. It is the best thing I know to kill kudzu but it has its weaknesses. Really need to study what you are trying to kill.

Jogeephus":25havh1j said:
Picloram is on the EPA hit list since it is very persistant in the soil. It is the best thing I know to kill kudzu but it has its weaknesses. Really need to study what you are trying to kill.

I just looked at a box of Potreron and see that it is labeled as PICLORAM plus 2 4 D. Sounds quite similar to the Tordon. I am trying to kill emerging broadleaf in my bermuda. Potreron has done the trick for me though as I mentioned, it is getting hard to find.

If its simply a broadleaf, have you tried 2,4-D or garlon? In my area we have so very hard to kill broadleaves that have waxy leaves and bar none garlon is the king when it comes to killing these type plants and it won't hurt grass. (most grasses anyway)

Jogeephus":zml0xx95 said:
If its simply a broadleaf, have you tried 2,4-D or garlon? In my area we have so very hard to kill broadleaves that have waxy leaves and bar none garlon is the king when it comes to killing these type plants and it won't hurt grass. (most grasses anyway)

I have not seen anything here with the name garlon. I will ask around a bit. Or did you mean garzon?

I too have a waxy leaf broadleaf that emerges....I think if left alone they would grow to be trees. Tough to kill. I have never been sure if I really am killing them or just controlling them for a while as I cut my bermuda. They always seem to come back when I leave the pasture for a while.

Garlon has triclopyr as it's active ingredient. Garlon is used in forestry and to clean up right-of-ways. Remedy has triclopyr as it's active ingredient and is labeled for pasture and range use.

BC":muah19m6 said:
Garlon has triclopyr as it's active ingredient. Garlon is used in forestry and to clean up right-of-ways. Remedy has triclopyr as it's active ingredient and is labeled for pasture and range use.

Ditto that. I buy whichever is cheaper. I think there is some generics out there now but I haven't seen them myself.

Jogeephus":2ry3v470 said:
BC":2ry3v470 said:

Ditto that. I buy whichever is cheaper. I think there is some generics out there now but I haven't seen them myself.
The generic Element 4 has the same formulation as Garlon 4 and so does Remedy. They're all 61.6% triclopyr. I don't know how much the Garlon 4 or Remedy costs but the Element 4 last year was $60/gallon in 2.5 gallon jugs or $56/gallon in 30 gallon drums.

Thanks, GP. I'm down to my last drum of Garlon so I'll be in the market soon. I think that is $20/gal cheaper than what I paid some years ago so its getting much cheaper. I love that stuff.

edit: I'm just guessing here but I think where Tordon shines is on plants that are very succulent and hold a lot of moisture where persistance is key. With Garlon, I've learned a real hot mixture is not as effective as one that creates a longer and more agonizing death of the plant since you can burn the tops off without killing the root with a real hot solution. (Based on mixes) Just been my observation and I don't know if that's true.

Jogeephus":3im0b3sm said:
Thanks, GP. I'm down to my last drum of Garlon so I'll be in the market soon. I think that is $20/gal cheaper than what I paid some years ago so its getting much cheaper. I love that stuff.

edit: I'm just guessing here but I think where Tordon shines is on plants that are very succulent and hold a lot of moisture where persistance is key. With Garlon, I've learned a real hot mixture is not as effective as one that creates a longer and more agonizing death of the plant since you can burn the tops off without killing the root with a real hot solution. (Based on mixes) Just been my observation and I don't know if that's true.
It's true with most herbicides. That's why the "if a little is good a lot must be better" school of thought doesn;t work well with herbicides

kenny thomas":15yb7eb6 said:
:lol2: Ok got me there.
The power companies used it here years ago and paid for a lot of acres of tobacco. The tobacco plant is super sensitive to tordon.
K.T. was the power company Powell Valley Electric Co-op.

Latest posts