Tools Needed to load a large Hereford Bull in a trailer-pics

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I thought I'd list the tools needed to load a hesitant bull in a trailer for other less experienced cattle folks like me:

* bucket of sweet feed
* lawn chair
* beer, maybe 2
* bug spray
* reading material

I sold my bull and was trying to load him yesterday for the trip to his new home breeding a bunch of Angus heifers & cows. I really hate to part with him but in a one-bull operation retaining heifers I can only keep him for so long. He's going to a good home.

Now my bull T21 weighs about 2200 lb but has a very gentle disposition. He has not been in a trailer since I bought him and I guess he is just a bit cautious.

I sorted T21, a cow and a heifer into the corral, tub and alley. I have a swinging door I made so that coming out of the chute I can pull a rope and divert them back to pasture or to the loading ramp and trailer.

Well the cow went through nicely to get things started and I diverted her back to pasture. The heifer came next and I thought I would put her in the trailer also to lead T21 on.

The heifer moved nicely onto the trailer followed by T21 - until he got to the trailer door. Even with the heifer in the trailer he would NOT step into that trailer. One of the joys of having livestock, I guess. I locked the swinging door behind him so he could not back up so there he is...

IMG_1650_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.jpg

So moving to plan B I go around the side door of the trailer, open it up and let the heifer out the side so maybe he can see daylight and follow her. Heifer comes out but bull still will not go in. Now going to plan C I put a pile of sweet feed on the floor where he can reach it and he eats that up but will NOT step in to get the rest of it nor the pile of fresh green grass I have just out of his reach.

No amount of patting the rump of this over a ton bull seems to make any difference. He is there in the loading ramp and will not move. Very calm and gentle but just will not move.

I have this thing about never using a hotshot on my animals and don't own one but at this point my resolve was being tested. It is a hot sweaty afternoon and getting later. My very experienced neighbors kindly came over to help but same result...T21 would not step into the trailer.

My neighbor, whose advice (like my wife's) is always correct, did suggest that T21 would have to step forward at some point that I just wait him out.

This is where the lawn chair, beer and reading material come in, along with some mosquito spray I might add.....

I tried to come up with a Plan D where I spread some sweet feed in to open side doorway, a couple of cows/heifers came over to lick it up but still T21 would not move!

IMG_1651_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.jpg

I don't know if it was the beer or just the heat that helped me control my temper but it doesn't do any good to get mad at a bull. So I sat down and read. Some of my cows thought this was very interesting as they stood watching this whole process.

IMG_1649t_Loading_T21_or_not_tools_reqd_080910.jpg

Well, about 2 hours later I hear footsteps in the trailer and close the side and rear doors and he finally stepped on. Just doesn't like to rush I guess. I snapped a couple pictures just so folks don't think I had too many beers relating this....

Maybe just a lesson in patience. Anyway, T-21 is now at his new home. Here are a few pictures for fellow beginners who have to load bulls. Remember, lawn chair....

FWIW Jim

I think in this situation the hot shot would of been a good thing to get him to jump on the trailer and I don't think they hurt the animal at all. we have used a whip on our loading procedures in the past and that seems to work well also. We don't beat our cow's calves but we usually don't have hours to wait on them to hop on the trailer either. I did enjoy the story though and the beer sounded like the best part. lol

TexasBred":ta2qdhng said:
Tell the truth Jim....you really were hoping he would take his time. :drink:

I do have to admit that after a real cold beer the sense of urgency moderated a bit...! It was sort of pleasant in the shade of the trailer especially as a nice breeze came up.

Maybe a lesson in patience. Jim

I've had to yell at a couple of mine to get them to load, but normally just let them load when they want.

snickers all that hot shot would have done was tick him off and the wooden gate behind him would not have stopped him.
Only used our hot shot once. Last year loading a cull cow with an attitude.

Great story SR .... Sometimes patience is the best way when handling cattle especially breeding bulls. You for sure didn't want him all worked up and angry when you dropped him off at his new home.

My thoughts on a hotshot is when working with a good gentle bull with excellent epd's, disposition, lots of good calves on the ground, listens to me and sold to someone using him as a herd bull, why even risk the possibility of turning him against people or making him more difficult to load next time? Once I calmed down and realized I did not have any other options I let him decide.

Now I realize that a commercial operation just can not wait a couple hours to load a bull. But that is one of the advantages to my small operation. While I was initially in a rush, once I relaxed things went ok w minimal fuss and everything got done - just a bit later than planned. Jmho. Jim

I think there is a right way and a wrong way to use a hotshot. A correctly used hotshot would have come in handy. However, it must be nice to have a relaxed enough schedule to be able to sit and drink a couple of beers while your bull is loading.

Stick hotshot to bulls ass and the plywood gate would have been safe cause the front of the trailer is where hi would have been. Make about three circles with his tail and take up slack. When you get his tail twisted tight enough he would have loaded.

Red Bull Breeder":39trgnls said:
...Make about three circles with his tail and take up slack. When you get his tail twisted tight enough he would have loaded.

I'm usually the tail guy for my vet when we cut the bull calves in the spring and I know pulling the tail forward keeps them from kicking. I did not think of tail twist as a way to make him go forward. That may be plan E if this happens again. It is a pretty big tail to twist however on a 2200 lb bull!

I am just not going to use a hotshot on my animals at all. Don't want to own one.

I have a corral and handling facility that I designed and built that works very well. This is the only animal I have had a problem with so far. In my system they are safely under control at all times once I get the gate closed but just stopping like this is something new. Usually talking to them gets them through the system. a soft slap on the rump is about as physical as I need to get.

The main problem may have been that I did not have the trailer lined up square with the loading ramp. There was about a 4 to 6" gap on one side he could see through.

I also may have made a mistake when I ordered this Corn Pro trailer painted black. I love the trailer but it is dark inside. At some point this fall I am going to spray paint the inside walls and ceiling white.

Thanks for the ideas all. Jim

My guess is he was blinded by the glare from the paint on that shiney new trailer and couldn't see where he was going. If you had scratched it up a bit and thrown some fresh cows--t all over it he might have loaded easier. A few big dents wouldn't hurt either. :nod:

BTW good job of using your head! :tiphat:

i said i wouldnt own a hotshot with the beefmasters.but i changed my mind this summer.them cows are so stubborn that you work yourself to death getting them in the squeeze chute.so ill prolly buy a hotshot this winter.if they know its back there most will move without ever having to turn it on.

A hot shot can be as handy as a pocket on a shirt or it can be the devil's instrument in the wrong hands. There is a right and wrong way to use one. One or two quick buzzes in the appropriate place is all that is needed. After that you can make the noise and cattle will move. It is actually easier on the cattle than a stick and allows you to move extremely gentle cattle in a chute without the owner becoming really fustrated and losing 2 hours loading one bull.

That's one 'snazzy' trailer SRB, I agree with 3waycross - it needs a bit of 'treatment' :p .
BC":2rcb2ypz said:
A hot shot can be as handy as a pocket on a shirt or it can be the devil's instrument in the wrong hands. There is a right and wrong way to use one.
Well said.

I totally agree, there's a time and place for everything and if you know your cattle you know when to use the hotshot and when not to.

alisonb":334ff6d8 said:
That's one 'snazzy' trailer SRB, I agree with 3waycross - it needs a bit of 'treatment' :p .
BC":334ff6d8 said:
A hot shot can be as handy as a pocket on a shirt or it can be the devil's instrument in the wrong hands. There is a right and wrong way to use one.
Well said.

Never having owned one nor used one I will grant there may be some applications for a hotshot. However as I don't know how to use one correctly and don't want to learn I think I will resort to a couple beers and a lawn chair for the time being.

I know a commercial operation can't wait for a bull to decide to go in a trailer. But then again I guess you could say at this point this is more hobby than commercial operation (although a potentially profitable one) and while I had a lot of other things to do the other day, I can take some time rather than risk using it incorrectly or ruining the attitude of a very gentle disposition bull and risk him not ever wanting to enter a trailer for his new owners... We can each raise good beef in our own way. There is no one way to raise cattle. jmho. Jim

BTW on the trailer, it is a 16 ft Corn Pro bumper pull and a lot of trailer for the money. It is about 3 or 4 yrs old and "broken in". However I have this thing about machinery - I like it clean. I pressure wash the trailer after every use and use Blue Corral through the washer. Seeing as it is steel rather than aluminum I want to keep it manure free as much as possible. I do think a flat white inside paint spray job may help.

And thanks for the kind words.

If a bump in the but with a hotshot ruined his disposition he didn't have much of one to start with. I don't use a hotshot much myself but will wear there ass out with a sorting stick.

Latest posts