Tools Needed to load a large Hereford Bull in a trailer-pics

Help Support CattleToday:

snickers":1uhbjxhs said:
I think in this situation the hot shot would of been a good thing to get him to jump on the trailer and I don't think they hurt the animal at all. we have used a whip on our loading procedures in the past and that seems to work well also. We don't beat our cow's calves but we usually don't have hours to wait on them to hop on the trailer either. I did enjoy the story though and the beer sounded like the best part. lol

The hot-shot won't hurt the animal ??? What do you think it does to them ? that's the point of a hot-shot,to hurt enough to make them move. I would not want to make a bull that large mad, so I give him credit for being patient & resisting the easy way out. :cboy:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":18r3zxza said:
snickers":18r3zxza said:
I think in this situation the hot shot would of been a good thing to get him to jump on the trailer and I don't think they hurt the animal at all. we have used a whip on our loading procedures in the past and that seems to work well also. We don't beat our cow's calves but we usually don't have hours to wait on them to hop on the trailer either. I did enjoy the story though and the beer sounded like the best part. lol

The hot-shot won't hurt the animal ??? What do you think it does to them ? that's the point of a hot-shot,to hurt enough to make them move. I would not want to make a bull that large mad, so I give him credit for being patient & resisting the easy way out. :cboy:
actually a hot shot doesn't HURT them of HARM them it gives them a small electrical shock yes it doesn't feel very good but that is the point it startles them to a small degree and makes them leave where they are
and yes I have been hit with a hotshot several times and in INEXPREIENCED Hands they are worthless but if you know how to use one they are a very useful tool
I would rather be hit with a hotshot for a few milliseconds than get hit with a sorting stick and yes I have been hit with a sorting stick also and it was alot more memorable than getting buzzed by a hot shot and the pain lasted ALOT longer than the little jolt I got from any hotshot

Jim, loaded his bull the way he did but and that is fine but I don't have time to wait 2 hrs for a bull to load like he said what works for one doesn't neccessarily work for all
What I can't beleive is people who will wear their kids a$$ off when getting in trouble and then won't use a little force on an animal

But then again you probably never spanked your kids either and they are perfect angels :roll:

Great story and great pictures....love the one of the heifer eating from the side door and he is just watching her....Guess he had to weigh his options before he decided to load up....
The dark interior of the trailer could very well be a problem, I think your idea of painting the interior is a good one.

Angus Cowman":v1728z5k said:
yes I have been hit with a hotshot several times and in INEXPREIENCED Hands they are worthless but if you know how to use one they are a very useful tool

By inexperienced, do you mean can't tell you from the cattle? I'm curious to know how you got hit by them several times.

djinwa":3nkvc2tz said:
Angus Cowman":3nkvc2tz said:
yes I have been hit with a hotshot several times and in INEXPREIENCED Hands they are worthless but if you know how to use one they are a very useful tool

By inexperienced, do you mean can't tell you from the cattle? I'm curious to know how you got hit by them several times.
Don't even ask, he's from MO. :lol:

3waycross":q2ba3k46 said:
My guess is he was blinded by the glare from the paint on that shiney new trailer and couldn't see where he was going. If you had scratched it up a bit and thrown some fresh cows--t all over it he might have loaded easier.

I agree the trailer was way too clean.

Big question is how many beers are ""too many" in Wisconsin?

djinwa":2ylyojkn said:
Angus Cowman":2ylyojkn said:

when you have worked around cattle for yrs especially in feedlots, processing centers and shipping lots accidents happen and I have also had the cases crack or get a leak in them and they will shock the person using them

I have even shocked myself with a small handheld by sitting on it in my truck seat
and no most people can tell me from cattle most say I am a HORSES A$$

Stocker Steve":3aaynpxf said:
3waycross":3aaynpxf said:
My guess is he was blinded by the glare from the paint on that shiney new trailer and couldn't see where he was going. If you had scratched it up a bit and thrown some fresh cows--t all over it he might have loaded easier.

Well, you know the definition of a 7-course Wisconsin gourmet meal???

( a bag of cheese curds and a 6-pack)

Just need to be prepared for the possibility he may actually get on the trailer sooner than you want under the revised loading plan!

Jim

SRBeef":34j7yfcq said:
Stocker Steve":34j7yfcq said:
3waycross":34j7yfcq said:

Well, you know the definition of a 7-course Wisconsin gourmet meal???

( a bag of cheese curds and a 6-pack)
Just need to be prepared for the possibility he may actually get on the trailer sooner than you want under the revised loading plan!

Jim
here its pok rinds and 6 pack

I have found that usually a bull will load easier than a cow in that they will smell their way onto a trailer. Of course if the trailer is washed, there is nothing to smell, so the delay. I would have waited also. No reason to rile up a bull.

My cattle are worked very quietly and usually go on voice command. I click the same as I do to horses!!!

I do have a yellow dog and if I have to use it, I poke them with it 3 times. Saying one, two and if they haven't gone by then turn it on the third time!!!

The only times I have really used it on the brahmans is when they lay down in the crush. It gets them up.

SRBeef":1m00yp2h said:
I also may have made a mistake when I ordered this Corn Pro trailer painted black. I love the trailer but it is dark inside. At some point this fall I am going to spray paint the inside walls and ceiling white.

Thanks for the ideas all. Jim

I'd sure think long and hard about changing that color from black. We recently built some AI breeding boxes and were told to paint the inside black to make the cattle calmer. They sure work as the cows just love to go in there and stand very quietly through the procedure.

Aren't the facilities for working deer or elk very dark inside?

I got a kick out of your story and remembered fondly my bull I just sold. I showed him the bucket, stepped out and he walked in within seconds. Just had to rub it in. Of course I didn't get a good excuse to just take a break for 2 hours...
Sounds like the people got a good bull from a good owner.

3waycross":1bjelp6l said:
If you had scratched it up a bit and thrown some fresh cows--t all over it he might have loaded easier. A few big dents wouldn't hurt either. :nod:
That bull would just be in love with my trailer. Has all of 3way's requirments,plus some metal mites. :help:

SRBeef":1cz9f1c0 said:
My thoughts on a hotshot is when working with a good gentle bull with excellent epd's, disposition, lots of good calves on the ground, listens to me and sold to someone using him as a herd bull, why even risk the possibility of turning him against people or making him more difficult to load next time? Once I calmed down and realized I did not have any other options I let him decide.

Now I realize that a commercial operation just can not wait a couple hours to load a bull. But that is one of the advantages to my small operation. While I was initially in a rush, once I relaxed things went ok w minimal fuss and everything got done - just a bit later than planned. Jmho. Jim

I don't think using a hotshot on ths bull would have made him into a mean bull-its great if you got time to kill, but most people don't, and I do think your animals have to know who is in charge, you not them, especially where a bull is concerned.

Jim,

Loved the story, and the photos! I think you did a great job.. and more importantly, you did it the way YOU wanted to do it!

BTW, my bull loads with a show stick.. he loves the trailer, since it takes him from cows to heifers! :banana:

Jim
you did fine..some may not have waited, but you had the luxury too and it worked.

I had some trailer loading trouble of my own this past weekend..the cow, her heifer from last year and her calf from this year loaded right up..the other heifer, who I raised on a bottle and is very friendly, wouldnt load..my husband had to put a halter on her and LEAD her like a horse onto the trailer. :shock: yes, he was embarassed....

Latest posts