took bull to sale

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I took my 2 year old grade angus bull to the sale yesterday and was kinda pleasantly surprised. He was not a choice bull but weighed 1155 pounds and went for 81.5 cents a pound. I traded a lame horse for him and didn't have anything in the horse. I will have gotten 11 calves out of him, all small birth weight which was good on those first timers. I guess he's done well for me. I'm looking forward to upgrading now.

Sounds like you don't have anything to complain about. :) What are you going to replace him with?

rc good on you, thats .09 higher than the local sale I use.
Selling that high, maybe someone bought him as a breeder.
An low BW Angus bull for less than $1000. He'd sell quick here.

I was tickled with the sale. I plan to upgrade with a young registared angus bull in next spring. I delivered him Sunday for the sale on Monday. The fella who took him in guesstimated he'd bring somewhere in the 60 cent range. That's why I was surprised at what he brought.

At that size and this time of the year, there must have been two people looking for a saleyard breeding bull. Around here that 60 cent range would be about right unless there are two backyarders who got into a bidding war.
Dave

Sounds like we all had better be out trying to buy lame horses so we can trade them for bulls---lol. Good job

Whatever the reason.....the check cleared. I probably won't do another deal like this one. Maybe beginners luck.

He was not a choice bull ...by golly, he was choice for somebody! :D

When I get pleasant surprises like that I catch myself coming up with all kinds of scenarios as to "why," could it be because of this, or that, or the other...then I look at that check and say, "Who cares? Let's find somethin' else to sell, quick!" ;-)

Alice

Alice":2fcrsjkq said:
He was not a choice bull ...by golly, he was choice for somebody! :D

When I get pleasant surprises like that I catch myself coming up with all kinds of scenarios as to "why," could it be because of this, or that, or the other...then I look at that check and say, "Who cares? Let's find somethin' else to sell, quick!" ;-)

Alice

You're right alice. Congrats RC.

I get tickled when we discuss what something sold for at auction and I hear something like, "I could have bought that for $500?" "NOT" is always my response. At the auction, The person who picked it up for $500 may have been willing to pay $1,000. Hence, to get a good price, there has to be at least two people interested. Must have been something about that bull that was appealing.

I may be selling him short, so to speak. He was the first to come through the sale and the only one the autioneer had any comment about, "all right boys, we got a 2 year old angus bull ready to throw some good calves". I figured it was just a way to start the auction. Anyway, like I said he has served me well and obviously somebody else liked him too. The fella I traded the lame horse to saw him last saturday and commented he looked better than the bull he had bought. lol, maybe I can get the lame horse back..............and do some more trading.

Latest posts