too many teats

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
have a heifer that's getting close to calving and just noticed that she's got 7 teats. Surely that's not normal, 4 are noticably good the others are smaller, but will they all milk?

The 4 quarters should work correctly. Seems like I read in another thread someone had experienced an extra quarter that expressed a little milk. I've never had that experience but won't say it couldn't happen. If you see swollen quarters with 1 swollen teat each I'd say it's all good.

lilcowgirl":1fmw7xlg said:
have a heifer that's getting close to calving and just noticed that she's got 7 teats. Surely that's not normal, 4 are noticably good the others are smaller, but will they all milk?

No. It is not uncommon for a heifer/cow to have more than the usual 4 tits but, generally speaking, only 4 of them will actually produce milk.

As was said before she will more than likely only milk on 4 of them, although I have seen them milk a little on the other teats as well. To add to this, you will want to make sure that the calf is sucking on the good teats. Sometimes they will just get onto the extras and never figure out that they should suck on the good ones. Chances are you won't have a problem, but it is good to be forwarned ;-) .

The extra teats are not uncommon, they will not milk and most dairy operators will remove them.

I have never heard of commercial beef guys cutting the extras off, do show people cut them off?

It is usually the rearmost that are the extras, but not always.

We don't worry about it here, but apparently it can cause complications in a dairy situation.

Far too late I think for your heifer unless you get some vet advice, I wouldn't worry.

Seems that our Herfs have the dummy teats. One cow has seven also, only four work as the dummies are more like nubs.
Nothing to worry about.
Dmc

I have never heard of commercial beef guys cutting the extras off, do show people cut them off?

Show folks and dairy folks sometimes cut the extras off. We always did.

A good clean, sharp pair of scissors at weaning will take care of them.

MikeC":2fz0djbj said:

Show folks and dairy folks sometimes cut the extras off. We always did.

A good clean, sharp pair of scissors at weaning will take care of them.

There is a lot of commercial guys in this area that will trim off the extras at branding time. We did for a while, but now we don't throw them to brand so we quit doing it.

Latest posts