Too late for 24D?

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
One of my hay fields has gotten into pretty bad shape and it is time to rennovate it. It has jsut been cut and rolled and I was wondering if when the regrowth appears that it would be too late in the year to spray 24D or similar hebicide or would it be better to bushhog in the fall and spray in the spring? It is just a grass hay field but I noticed some small sapplings starting to grow around the edges with a few weeds in the middle. I am going to drill some more grass and lime in the fall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Devin

I don't know where you are or if it matters, but we found fall or late summer spraying for hardwood control is more effective than spring sprayings. 2,4-D is good, but I prefer Remedy or Garlon if there is a lot of saplings. JMO

Thanks for the quick response. I am in Kentucky. I think I will go ahead and spray. How long would you wait for regrowth prior to spraying?

If the young trees are truly young I'd just wait till I got some leaves on them - with Garlon/Remedy this isn't as important since it can go through thin bark. Stump sprouts from older trees are hard to kill since they are in some kind of defense mode and herbicides aren't as effective until several months later.

Don't know what type weeds you have but I would examine the types and look at what is most effective on your weed list in relation to price. I like all discussed as well as Grazon.

Also, if possible, don't spray during drought stress.

If you spray in the spring use 2,4-d not grazon. About 2 weeks after cutting I spray with grazon and remedy. Our problem tends towards blackberyys where they're had never been blackberrys before and wooly croton with pigweed, horse netle and ragweed trown in for good measure.

Latest posts