Too Hot & Dry in TX, Too Cold & Wet up north

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I wish there was some way we could average out the weather. Snow wet and cold in Wis today. Much, much wetter in MN and the Dakotas with a lot of ground in E ND & SD that may never dry out enough this spring to plant anything. Folks around here are running out of hay. Even though there was a lot put up last year, much of it was baled damp and not good keeping quality.

We had a change in the weather in WI lows in the 20's and 30's (F) for the next week with snow and rain and cold wind almost every day. I have been wrestling with whether or not to move calving back a week or two from the mid March start this year. With this cold spell it's nice to be done calving except for one purchased Huth heifer that isn't due for a week or so yet.

Here are some pictures from today in SW Wis. I did a calf count this afternoon and kept coming up short so really had to look around. Calves tucked in lots of places protected from the wind, sleet and cold.

IMG_3435_cows_and_calves_and_snow_wind_cold_041911.jpg

IMG_3431_cows_and_calves_and_snow_wind_cold_041911.jpg

IMG_3440_cows_and_calves_and_snow_wind_cold_041911.jpg

IMG_3439_cows_and_calves_and_snow_wind_cold_041911.jpg

IMG_3445_cows_and_calves_and_snow_wind_cold_041911.jpg

I wish we could average out our weather north and south. Best wishes that some of this moves south to you.

Jim

Glad I am in the middle. Turned out cows here over a week ago. Grass in pasture is about 10". Been so wet I have not got in the hayfields yet but I am not spreading much fert. this year anyway. Over 200 rolls of hay left over and I wasted some at the end just trying to get them to eat it. If trucking was not so high I could gather up a lot of hay cheap for anyone north or south needing it.

thanx for the pix; it reminds me why i moved south so many years ago. i just got my watermelons planted yesterday; called my dad in ny and he said they got 177 inches of snow this year and the high tomorrow is forecasted to be 38 degrees! not much to do except play cards till spring - oh that's right, it is spring....

101 degrees here today. I couldn't believe it. Saw lightening a couple of times but no rain.

The wind is kicking our tail more than anything. It is fanning fires and it is drying things out worse than they already were.

It is generally windy here but this year takes the cake.

backhoeboogie":2ia8yy5f said:
101 degrees here today. I couldn't believe it. Saw lightening a couple of times but no rain.

The wind is kicking our tail more than anything. It is fanning fires and it is drying things out worse than they already were.

It is generally windy here but this year takes the cake.

i wishes i could send our rain in northwest in washington and give us your warm temperature. finally, we have sunshine for the next three days and temp around low 50's. sorry to hear about texas and i used to live in southwest houston, near Katy.

Our grass is horribly slow growing here. Ran out of hay at home so gonna' move the cows to pasture farm, and feed hay at other place while I wait for the grass to grow, as I have stored hay in a barn there. I usually count on pasture no later than May 1, and some years the last week of April. Had frost warning just east of us last night, havent looked to see how cold it got.
Grass can't grow when ground temps are in 40's. Usually I can count on Sara wearing shorts to work by now to give me something to look at, but we're still in long pants and hooded sweatshirts. I'm sure in a month I'll be complaining about heat, just got done b1ching about snow. gs

In southeast Texas it is hhot too. We have not had any rain. I am encouraged that in 2 weeks there is a 20% chance of rain. Two weeks. Is that sad or what?

I got a half inch of rain at my house last Thursday near downtown Houston, but not a drop of rain on the pastures....My Rye grass has just about given up now...the only grass we are going to have this year if it does not really start raining is going to be in the fields we kept flooded for ducks up until last week....I let the water out and the grass is shooting up now...

stockbub":19mcsiol said:
In southeast Texas it is hhot too. We have not had any rain. I am encouraged that in 2 weeks there is a 20% chance of rain. Two weeks. Is that sad or what?
Would be encourging if in two weeks it did rain...instead of another forecast of rain in two weeks....

We got a bit of moisture yesterday. It was the first in months. At one point it was snowing quarter size flakes. Cold and dry again this AM but they are giving us at least a chance of precip. God knows we really need it. I don't remember a winter this dry, EVER.

We have a ton of snow pak but it's so dry that when you put in a set to irrigate, the water runs out 30 or 40 feet in a day, instead of 200. It just disapears. :frowns:

Here in central NC the weather has been nearly picture perfect since mid Feb. About an inch of rain every two weeks and temps around 60. The tornadoes that moved through Saturday destroyed a lot of property however. Our construction company lost a warehouse with some of our metal project sign ending up 60 miles away. After the heat and drought of the last few years I have reduced my numbers and increased my winter annuals, now I need to mow some of it to keep it vegetative a while longer. Good problem to have I guess. I really feel bad for the folks in the southwest with the continuing drought. I wish it were economical to bring animals east for a while. They actually did that back in the dust bowl days on trains. I think a lot of the animals didn't make if tho.

Here's the deal! No matter where you are there will be weather issues. If you could haul them from area to area every couple of weeks or moths you could get aorund it. As thigns are, you deal with the hand you've got. Sometimes too much of everything listed, sometimes not enough. It's all part of the business.

But thatq doesn;t mean you cant gripe about it

We have a 30-40% chance of thunderstorms later this week..I normaly hate our springtime storms in texas, but right now I would take it..dryland hay is going to be NON EXISTENT

We are wet and cold. Had 6 inches of snow yesterday and we were sloppy muddy before that came. Finally going to get above freezing today. Our average high is close to 60 and we are struggling to get above freezing! The moisture is nice but we have to get seed in the ground to take advantage of it. Last year this time we were rolling with seeding. This year it looks like we might be lucky to get into the fields in the next 2 weeks. One thing for sure, once things start it is going to be a mad dash to get things done.

At least it feels better this morning with the sun shining. They say it's not going to get much above 40 for a high. Most of yesterday's snow melted off late in the day so it is sloppy out there.

If it goes on much longer, I'm gonna put out the pumps and pipes. I hate to do that. Wet pasture when all other terrains are dry is a hog magnet.

spinandslide":lo2jic30 said:
We have a 30-40% chance of thunderstorms later this week..I normaly hate our springtime storms in texas, but right now I would take it..dryland hay is going to be NON EXISTENT

Thunderstorms might just mean lightning which will mean more fires. I noticed at one of the fires today it was 101F with 5% humidity and 35 mile winds. Ain't much you can do when it is like that.

I'm impressed with the body condition of your herd coming out of winter. I know from your pictures winter has not been kind. One question I have how much has genetics played in getting your herd to winter on mostly hay ? I've started a small group last fall . Bred cows bought at sale barn . I've feed free choice hay mostly fescue some clover and 4lb. corn and supplement per head per day. Also free choice 24% protein tub. . Cows calved in dec. and jan. Body condition was good till mid march. Then cow really started loosing body condition . Learning curve need some help. I Know some will say you got what you payed for . Had to start some where . Just want to get better as I go forward . Enjoy the info and pictures you share .

Latest posts