Tony lama vs. double h

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Need a new pair of boots mostly to ride in. I have found a pair from each of these companies I really like but haven't ever owned either one. Been disappointed as a whole in the last several pairs I have bought so looking for some insight. I remember Hook having a similar topic for work boots awhile back but these are more of a riding/buckaroo style. Thanks.

I think both those brands of boots are made in China now days. Its hard to find a brand thats not made in China anymore. Really gripes me!

TexasBred":59v2scge said:
Best boots I ever owned by a long shot were: http://olsenstelzerboots.com/
Those boots are something eles. Don't see a price. How much $ do they normally cost?

Had a pair of double h buckaroos, squeaked every step I took no matter what I was walking on. Their customer service basically told me to pack sand. Won't own another pair.

Ned Jr.":23g0fzqw said:
I think both those brands of boots are made in China now days. Its hard to find a brand thats not made in China anymore. Really gripes me!
I just looked at 2 different TL boots I have--both say on inside (embroidered tag and on the upper inside print) "Made in El Paso Tx USA".
I think Justin did buy out Tony Lama and Justin is owned by Berkshire Hathaway/King apparent of the Liberals-Warren Buffett.

yep:
Nocona Boot Company became part of Justin Industries when John Justin purchased the controlling shares from his aunt, Enid Justin, in 1981. In 1984, the company acquired Chippewa Shoe Company. In 1990, Justin Industries purchased competitor Tony Lama Boots.

In 1999, John Justin stepped down from his role as chairman of the board of Justin Industries, Inc., and in 2000 the board of directors for Justin Industries approved the sale of the company to Warren Buffett and the Berkshire-Hathaway Corp

greybeard":2uzrenth said:
Ned Jr.":2uzrenth said:
I just looked at 2 different TL boots I have--both say on inside (embroidered tag and on the upper inside print) "Made in El Paso Tx USA".
I think Justin did buy out Tony Lama and Justin is owned by Berkshire Hathaway/King apparent of the Liberals-Warren Buffett.

yep:
Nocona Boot Company became part of Justin Industries when John Justin purchased the controlling shares from his aunt, Enid Justin, in 1981. In 1984, the company acquired Chippewa Shoe Company. In 1990, Justin Industries purchased competitor Tony Lama Boots.

In 1999, John Justin stepped down from his role as chairman of the board of Justin Industries, Inc., and in 2000 the board of directors for Justin Industries approved the sale of the company to Warren Buffett and the Berkshire-Hathaway Corp

Interesting! I've been buying the same style justin boot for years. Might need to change that now. If I remember right last time I went boot shopping some Tony Lama boots were made in the USA and some China.

I just looked at tonylama.com and it says their boots are handcrafted in the USA. Im just sure a few years ago they were also being made in China. I remember being t'd off about it. :D

Ned where do you find Tony Lama here. I usually just buy Ariat at Murdochs but they discontinued the boot I like.( got the last pair for $44.00) they were always around $160.

3waycross":1ni8cq51 said:
Ned where do you find Tony Lama here. I usually just buy Ariat at Murdochs but they discontinued the boot I like.( got the last pair for $44.00) they were always around $160.
That's where I seen them, at Murdochs. It was 2-3 years ago though. I was just in Murdochs a couple days ago. They're sure changing things.

Ned Jr.":oiz8ctcy said:
3waycross":oiz8ctcy said:
That's where I seen them, at Murdochs. It was 2-3 years ago though. I was just in Murdochs a couple days ago. They're sure changing things.

Was the new gun dept open?

3waycross":23682cif said:
Ned Jr.":23682cif said:
3waycross":23682cif said:

Was the new gun dept open?
Cabinets were closed but I did buy some ammo.

The styles I have been looking at are USA made but both companies have boots made here and overseas. It is next to impossible to find good boots made stateside. They are usually about double or more the cost and unfortunately the last few pairs I paid the money for were either poorly made or uncomfortable as heck. Don't know how they even make shoes anymore because it seems me and everyone else finds a style they like and they discontinue them. Redwing made me so mad I won't go in their stores anymore. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

TB those boots are wild, do they make a tamer style? Are they as pricey as they look?

SmokinM":96xdymxl said:
The styles I have been looking at are USA made but both companies have boots made here and overseas. It is next to impossible to find good boots made stateside. They are usually about double or more the cost and unfortunately the last few pairs I paid the money for were either poorly made or uncomfortable as heck. Don't know how they even make shoes anymore because it seems me and everyone else finds a style they like and they discontinue them. Redwing made me so mad I won't go in their stores anymore. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

TB those boots are wild, do they make a tamer style? Are they as pricey as they look?

M" I haven't bought any in 25 years. They use to be really conservative but awesome boots, Great workmanship, out of this world comfort and you simply could not wear them out. You'd look good with these on. http://olsenstelzerboots.com/boots/cogn ... ich-boots/

TexasBred":1gpl7ksk said:
SmokinM":1gpl7ksk said:

M" I haven't bought any in 25 years. They use to be really conservative but awesome boots, Great workmanship, out of this world comfort and you simply could not wear them out. You'd look good with these on. http://olsenstelzerboots.com/boots/cogn ... ich-boots/

If you had to guess, what would that pair of boots sell for?

Tony Lama elephant skin. Just replace the soles over and over and over. 15? Times on one pair. Found an ugly pair of TL elephants. Bought them cheap and had the boot repair shop dye them tan. They've been thru 8 or so soles already.

3waycross":1ogj9hip said:
TexasBred":1ogj9hip said:
SmokinM":1ogj9hip said:

I bet it's one of those deals that if you have to ask they're too much!

3waycross":2xl783s4 said:
TexasBred":2xl783s4 said:
SmokinM":2xl783s4 said:

Heck I'm out of the loop 3way but I'd say probably $700--$1000