Todays Hunt/ Accident

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm just glad wasn't my ATV or utv .. Shane it will be an interesting season.
Kenny send them to me I will give to everyone else as i will keep my lead i feel im responsable enougg to keep it lol

Stories like this make me happy I hunt where I do. The area is several miles wide and about 6 miles long. There are only a half a dozen of us hunting there and you have to walk or ride a bike about 4 miles to get there. No trucks to shoot. But they do let us pack real guns.

highgrit":21qz2u3r said:
It's pretty apparent that the truck was in the way. Or maybe the deer was trying to hide behind the truck. You guy's might need to hold a safety meeting, could save a lot of heart aches. I'm sure you guy's had a fun time, good luck and stay safe.

When we ran with dogs he would have been kicked off the lease that day.
You stayed on your stand until you were called off we went in and out together
and everyone had orange on. When the drive was over shotgun had to be open and empty.
All stander locations were numbered and out of range from each other.
If the deer got through he got through he just got away you did not leave your stand period.
Also we didn't run a deer to ground which is absolutely no sport to.
I loved to hunt with dogs the mentality of running deer to ground with a pack of 20 hounds needs to
be culled from the gene pool. One thing to shoot a running deer another thing to shoot one that is run down.
Used bird dogs run about quarter mile turn and come right back .
Used the same 2 two dogs every day all day for the season and killed 150 a year for 30 years until dogs were outlawed due to some of the same hillbilly tactics of road running mentioned above.

Good thing yuo don't have the same camo paint job I see on a lot of hunting type trucks around here.

A few years ago, my brother in law got tired of the squirrels chewing up his yard furniture and raiding the bird feeders so threw out a bunch of feed in his driveway, sat in one end of the yard with his shotgun and slayed the tree rats when they came down the oak trees for the bird feed. Only when he got done, did his wife notice about 100 little dents in his overhead metal garage doors. She was not pleased, but it was a good thing the doors were down and not the vehicles that got shot up. They keep the doors open (up) when company comes over so he doesn't have to explain all the pellet dents. Nice group patterns tho for the shot he was using.

I knew of an old guy named Peerless that used to deer hunt from horseback with a lever action. (actually I think it was a mule) He drew down on a buck that suddenly walked out on the powerline in front of him as he was going into the woods. Just as he pulled the trigger, something caught the horses attention and it raised it's head up. Peerless came walking out carrying his saddle and bridle....goodbye mule.

greybeard":r3qylse7 said:
Good thing yuo don't have the same camo paint job I see on a lot of hunting type trucks around here.

A few years ago, my brother in law got tired of the squirrels chewing up his yard furniture and raiding the bird feeders so threw out a bunch of feed in his driveway, sat in one end of the yard with his shotgun and slayed the tree rats when they came down the oak trees for the bird feed. Only when he got done, did his wife notice about 100 little dents in his overhead metal garage doors. She was not pleased, but it was a good thing the doors were down and not the vehicles that got shot up. They keep the doors open (up) when company comes over so he doesn't have to explain all the pellet dents. Nice group patterns tho for the shot he was using.

I knew of an old guy named Peerless that used to deer hunt from horseback with a lever action. (actually I think it was a mule) He drew down on a buck that suddenly walked out on the powerline in front of him as he was going into the woods. Just as he pulled the trigger, something caught the horses attention and it raised it's head up. Peerless came walking out carrying his saddle and bridle....goodbye mule.

GB those are crazy stories especially the mule. I can see that happening.

It's still pretty scary. You have to keep your bearings. Pretty sure I'd be talking about a rule that once we start back we unload the guns.

There was a girl killed in the town over a similar way. The flushed a pack of hogs with dogs and the hogs ran between the truck and one of the guys shooting (family member). They got back to the truck and she was dead.

Brute 23":hx311ext said:
It's still pretty scary. You have to keep your bearings. Pretty sure I'd be talking about a rule that once we start back we unload the guns.

There was a girl killed in the town over a similar way. The flushed a pack of hogs with dogs and the hogs ran between the truck and one of the guys shooting (family member). They got back to the truck and she was dead.

That is one we had open and empty. To many hillbillies with a gun all they can see is the game
not what is behind it.

I have a #6 lead pellet in me that shows up on tooth x-rays. I was shot first thing one morning at a local public hunting pheasant release area. There were three groups of us starting out that morning. We hadn't gone far enough to have spread out yet. I wasn't a 100 yards from the pickup, in grass a little over ankle high, and wearing a solid red coat with an orange vest over it. The dogs of the two guys to my left flushed a bird which flew straight at me. One of the guys shot both the pheasant and me. I was probably no more than 40 yards from him.
I am extremely picky about who I hunt with. I most generally hunt in places where there are very few or no other hunters. And if someone in my party shot a pickup, I would never be in the woods with that person again.

Latest posts