Who's up for a buffalo hunt?

Help Support CattleToday:

Why are they killing them? Is it dangerous for people to be there? I'm going to have to ask somebody that always makes 🤬 sound good how you write some b.s. sound good about skilled" in "bison removal." 😆 So if you work with cows does that count? I don't go in shoot my cows.... so maybe a hunter? I'm confused on the skills here. Maybe if you have worked with bison? 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
Darn this is why I have to wear a path out to the mailbox for them stim. Checks. 😁🤣🤡 Naw I'm playing! 🙌🏾😝

I've got a 45-70 hanging on the wall just waiting for a hunt like that.
Custer State park used to do population control with lottery hunts. That's before they started their yearly round ups.

Why are they killing them? Is it dangerous for people to be there? I'm going to have to ask somebody that always makes 🤬 sound good how you write some b.s. sound good about skilled" in "bison removal." 😆 So if you work with cows does that count? I don't go in shoot my cows.... so maybe a hunter? I'm confused on the skills here. Maybe if you have worked with bison? 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
Darn this is why I have to wear a path out to the mailbox for them stim. Checks. 😁🤣🤡 Naw I'm playing! 🙌🏾😝
I suspect that they have eaten themselves out of house and home as the old saying goes. They have been protected until the numbers are too many for the land to sustain them. In that area it could take a couple hundred acres per bison

Back when I was in college 50 years ago there was a ranch with a bunch of buffalo between John Day and Burns Oregon. They were testing them for bangs. They also sold hunts. Some hunter would show up and one of the cowboys would haul them this way and that way searching for a buffalo. In the mean time they would cut out a bull who tested positive and run him up a canyon. The cowboy would take the hunter to that canyon. Oh boy there is a big one. Sneak up and blast him. They got a whole lot more for a "hunt" than they were getting for butcher buffalo.

There's a place in SD that advertises a guaranteed "trophy" . Like Dave said, they will turn one loose for you or you can ride out in the pasture and rattle a feed bucket. Not really hunting in my book.

Evidently, cow hunting is a big thing for some people.
cowhunting.jpg

Back when I was in college 50 years ago there was a ranch with a bunch of buffalo between John Day and Burns Oregon. They were testing them for bangs. They also sold hunts. Some hunter would show up and one of the cowboys would haul them this way and that way searching for a buffalo. In the mean time they would cut out a bull who tested positive and run him up a canyon. The cowboy would take the hunter to that canyon. Oh boy there is a big one. Sneak up and blast him. They got a whole lot more for a "hunt" than they were getting for butcher buffalo.
Dave, there's someone up near Troy, ID that may be doing that. Every year the Troy Lions Club sells raffle tickets for a buff hunt at a ranch up there -- $5/ticket. I've been buying them for years; bet I've spent $300 on tickets. No buff yet!

But did she work and tan the hide?

During the big bison extermination after the civil war, some Indians also got in on the hide trade. Braves who wanted leverage married as many women (with teeth) as possible to increase the number of hides he could sell.

Gotta stampede them off a cliff while riding a pony with nothing but a blanket and rope. Now that's a Buffalo hunt.
If you plan on stampeding them off a cliff. That was before the Indians had horses. You have to stack up rocks to build a couple fences in about a half mile long funnel. Then you and your buddies need to drape wolf hides over you to sneak up on and scare the buffalo. When they start to run you need to chase them on foot and get them running real fast. Yell and scream a lot. Keep them running because if they turn around you are in big trouble. Have the women down by the bottom of the cliff to do the cutting and wrapping of all the buffalo meat. Some of the meat will be tenderized.

Latest posts