Today will tell the tale

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":352ealdh said:
I sure hope it stops and sits on top of you for 24 hrs CB
I hope it sits on top os someone other then us for at least 24 hours!

Friday morning I dumped .8" from my rain guage. Another 3.2" Saturday, 1.25" Easter, and 1.45" this morning. Forecast for today and Wednesday is calling for them to be heavy also. I'm just over an hour south of St. Louis and my brother and our leased land is about 20 miles farther south. They got more than we did everyday but one so far. We ordered high N fertilizer for the leased summer pasture Thursday afternoon. There's no telling when it will dry up enough to get it spread, and then we probably won't see another drop until fall. I sure hope those of you that need rain get the lion's share of the rest of this system!

Think I need to pack up and move 20 miles north.

Left the eldest daughter's house and drove head first into a hail storm. 10 miles from the house it all stopped. Rained so hard at times coming home I had to drive 30 mph. Sure had my hopes up. Over night we got very little water but we did get a bit.

backhoeboogie":3fkmfn09 said:

Left the eldest daughter's house and drove head first into a hail storm. 10 miles from the house it all stopped. Rained so hard at times coming home I had to drive 30 mph. Sure had my hopes up. Over night we got very little water but we did get a bit.
I believe I'l be ready to pack up an head north one of these days too....tired of living in a desert.

1982vett":1qzfq6in said:
backhoeboogie":1qzfq6in said:

I believe I'l be ready to pack up an head north one of these days too....tired of living in a desert.
Living in a desert is fine, trying to raise livestock in the desert is what sucks!

We got thunder and lightening Saturday night...nothing else. Rode up to Ft. Worth this morning and ran into some very light showers....news early this morning was about nothing much but hail. Some areas are getting blasted hard with huge hail and high winds.

dun":3at55x7b said:
1982vett":3at55x7b said:
backhoeboogie":3at55x7b said:

Living in a desert is fine, trying to raise livestock in the desert is what sucks!

Haha....I get tired of looking at the sun all day everyday....need those rain days to soothe the soul... :nod:

TexasBred":3c1k50hh said:
We got thunder and lightening Saturday night...nothing else. Rode up to Ft. Worth this morning and ran into some very light showers....news early this morning was about nothing much but hail. Some areas are getting blasted hard with huge hail and high winds.
We moved some cows today. It sprinkled on us near Goldthwaite. When we got to Comanche is was sloppy wet. Kid told me they got 2.3 inches in the rain guage.

Well the fire dept. and forest service was busy here today, two of those chopppers with snorkels came over had a pretty good fire about two miles west. Forest service was able to cut enough fire lanes they were able to get it out.
The water that fell out of those choppers is the closest thing to rain we have had.

Looks like its gonna miss us again .got to the pasture today pond was dry . Look s like the choppers took all my water to bad they don't call and let you know . Good thing I check my cows every other day .really would be pi$$ed if my cows died because of that.

dimestorecowboy":1h2ht8dk said:
Looks like its gonna miss us again .got to the pasture today pond was dry . Look s like the choppers took all my water to bad they don't call and let you know . Good thing I check my cows every other day .really would be pi$$ed if my cows died because of that.

Worth a try to talk to someone that is over the fires in your area. We done the same thing a few years ago, although the landowner said we could use it. Neither he nor us thought we would be able to drain it. The large sky cranes (with the snorkle hanging down) drained it in two days. They hauled the landowner enough water over the next few days to get it back to an acceptable level. They might do the same if it is your only source.

kenny thomas":22aetfey said:
dimestorecowboy":22aetfey said:

Worth a try to talk to someone that is over the fires in your area. We done the same thing a few years ago, although the landowner said we could use it. Neither he nor us thought we would be able to drain it. The large sky cranes (with the snorkle hanging down) drained it in two days. They hauled the landowner enough water over the next few days to get it back to an acceptable level. They might do the same if it is your only source.
This pond was the only one I had left that still had water it was already about 3 feet low probably only a quarter acre or so . I talked to the volunteer fire dept this evening. They put a truck full in the pond . I'm bringing a 1000 gal tank tomm morning . They said they would fill it for a couple weeks until I can get a well drilled.

Latest posts