To delay or not to delay

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
I buy a lot of 3 and 4 weight bulls at the market and have been acustum to castrating apon arrival when they are run through the chute the first time to recieve vac. as a lot of you know reduction of stress in calves means reduction of illness.

Now for my question, is it better for the calf to pospone castration? It has already been stressed from the handling at the market, mixed with strange cattle, and drove 100 miles or more unloaded just to get handled one more time before being left alone. Or is it better to eliminate all stress at one time and get it over with? All calves are gotten up in 30 days to be reweighed and put in tighter weight groups on the farm anyway so they will already be in the chute.

Any coments?

Have you noticed any stress related problems? If not, if it ain;t broke don;t fix it.

dun

There seems to always be stress with theses cattle for the first few days light grade fever and depression for example. Would it really reduce any of that load to wait?

If the calf is showing signs of BRSV or shiping fever or running a temp. over 104 we always wait; but would it be justified to wait with all the calves?

The few times we messed with stockers, we gave them a blast of Nuflor as the came off the truck, held them in a smallish pen for a couple of days and if everyting looked ok we worked them and turned them out. I've read reports that stress causes poorer immune response being created by vaccinations.

dun

VAStocker

My stocker recieving/ conditioning program last for 4 weeks. Upon arrival we vaccinate, tag & worm but do not castrate or dehorn. At the end of 4 weeks we have a "graduation" ceremony where the bulls get banded & horns are removed. It seems to me we have less sickness during this time since we started delaying banding & dehorning. Since we have started this, we have not had to treat any animal for BRD after banding or dehorning. Calves that have been sick are not graduated until they have been well for at least 10 days. Just my 2 cents worth.

From what I have been told when I ask this question--- It seems that it depends on the cattle source.

We buy mostly singles off stockyards and it takes a week to two weeks to put together a load -- they have been stressed to the MAX already so whats one more? I and others that do like I do find it hurts them more to put off anything for latter-and you end up with a second round of pulls and another spell of lack of weight gain.

Plus now We only precondition(only have them 45-60 days) so its not an option for us. And since we turn out to pastures I like the fact that they aren't real "agile" for a few days :)

But.... I have asked the same question of people who get their cattle in groups off farm or special sales of grouped cattle and they like to wait 45-60days then cut them.

My THEORY for the difference--- is that those cattle haven't been as exposed and mishandled and removed from all cattle they know.And they are probably better quality.
So their stress level isn't "maxed out" so alleviating the extra stress of cutting pays off more. Also I think they recover from the initial stress faster- so the delayed cutting comes after they are completely recovered and can absorb another stress period.

VAStocker":2wjq817a said:
Now for my question, is it better for the calf to pospone castration?

Why don't you delay castrating with a few target loads and see what happens? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here but, since every area (and also seasonal changes for that area) presents different challenges, it just seems to me like that is the only way you're going to be sure of the effects for your area. It isn't going to hurt anything, and just might prove to be more productive for your overall operation. FWIW - I, too, have read articles and reports stating that stress reduces the effectiveness of vaccines.

VAStocker":21i696xe said:
Lynchburg, Blackstone, Staunton, Oxford NC

I sell at Lynchburg and Staunton. Should be taking a couple loads to Lynchburg in a few weeks.

cfpinz

Latest posts