To cull or not to cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Had a heifer that was 11 days late birthing(294 days), wound up having to pull a pretty big bull calf. I know she was late because she was AI'd to a low birthweight good calving ease angus bull(Gar Advance). All the other heifers this year had successful birthing, early calving with bull calves with the same angus bull. Really thinking about selling her once she weans her calf just in case she is prone to repeat and the large calf was from her genetics. I dont want to pull calves every year. Luckily my nephew was here on vacation and knew how to pull one while I was at work. Any suggestions, what would you do?

her feed for the last 3 months was tifton 85 hay and minerals which I did for all my heifers.

If she doesn't seem to have any ill effects from the pull and breeds back on time and raises a good calf, I would give her another shot.

I would be kind of curious if there was possibly another bull in the area that may have slipped in. Just spit balling here, but 11 days late for a bull calf from a heifer, of course the being late part could contribute to the size. But I would be curious about it.
Do you know the cows complete history? There are those that just always throw big calves. I would sure be tempted to try her again with a calving ease bull just to see if it's a fluke or if she is "1 of those". Or it could be one of those deals that a particular cow and a particular bull just line up that way.

Just give her another chance. I see no reason to cull her just because she's the first timer.

I'm with dun - are you sure a non-calving-ease/higher BW bull didn't hop the fence for some action? 11 days late out of a heifer bred to a CE bull is pretty unusual.

Otherwise, if she's raising this calf, and no abnormalities were noted in her pelvis, I'd probably keep her if I liked her looks and the genetics behind her.

Had one here several years ago that we had to pull calf #1... and it was a HARD pull, with the calf ending up with a damaged, useless front leg. Pelvis felt 'weird', with a big point/spike sticking up from the 'floor'. Not much 'management' going on here back then, didn't get her sold, and when the next time rolled around, had to have a C-section - and lost that calf too. She didn't get another chance.

There are anomalies within breeds as well out of my registered girls had a cow that had small calves. When I changed bloodlines on the bull she went to having very low weight calves,to heavy she was the only cow. After happening twice I put her on another and BW was down again.
Some just don't work as well with each other

dun":3e8sksox said:
I would be kind of curious if there was possibly another bull in the area that may have slipped in. Just spit balling here, but 11 days late for a bull calf from a heifer, of course the being late part could contribute to the size. But I would be curious about it.
Do you know the cows complete history? There are those that just always throw big calves. I would sure be tempted to try her again with a calving ease bull just to see if it's a fluke or if she is "1 of those". Or it could be one of those deals that a particular cow and a particular bull just line up that way.
As far as the history of the heifer I bought her as a calf. Not sure what breed but black with horns. As far as another bull not at my ranch. The nearest ranch has Regstered Charolais and no breaks in the fence and this baby is solid black. Not unless she was bred by a bull at the vets clinic. I left her there for a week while I he AI on her.

I have a cow that has been consistently late every year from her first calf. The bulls are always later than the heifers and she throws larger calves. She herself was bred to a calving ease bull as a heifer and the calf was pulled. I gave her another shot and she raises some of the best calves of all my cows

There are not many excuses to keep an animal that could not handle the first time calving. Is there really such a shortage of heifers? Keep more of the young ones.

I consider 294 days about 4 days late for a bull calf.. 90% of my herd is over 285 days, and I've had one go 302 days.. I wouldn't hold that alone as a strike against her.. how heavy was the calf?

See how she raises it, I don't think she's more likely to need help again than any other cow.

Latest posts