Keep or cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

wshn41

Reaction score
I'm in need of all of your opinions, to me this heifer is really thin hipped and has a wonky top line. She's 13 months correinte/ Braford Just not matured or would be better in the freezer? I'm new enough in cattle I'd rather not breed one I know would have calving problems.

Attachments

• F46C927C-506B-4332-95A2-0CA3BEBDD2E5.jpeg
    F46C927C-506B-4332-95A2-0CA3BEBDD2E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 007A45B8-DDCC-429C-AF62-125D24A028FA.jpeg
    007A45B8-DDCC-429C-AF62-125D24A028FA.jpeg
    886.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 64E392CA-5B91-493A-9503-ED60EC455059.jpeg
    64E392CA-5B91-493A-9503-ED60EC455059.jpeg
    900.7 KB · Views: 18
I'm in need of all of your opinions, to me this heifer is really thin hipped and has a wonky top line. She's 13 months correinte/ Braford Just not matured or would be better in the freezer? I'm new enough in cattle I'd rather not breed one I know would have calving problems.
Where are you located, wshn41? If you were to not cull her, what kinda of bull would you breed her to?

Breed her to a black homo-polled bull, sell her black polled calf at the salebarn for just as much as everyone else is getting. She won't have calving trouble if she is bred to a bull that throws normal sized calves. Correinte never do.
Don't keep her heifers if you don't like her build. If you are tight on pasture or hay, cull her first if you don't care for her. When your pasture gets full cull her. If you have plenty of room keep her. You have this much time and money in her. If you are already full let her go.

Where are you located, wshn41? If you were to not cull her, what kinda of bull would you breed her to?
I'm in South Texas. The bull lined up to run with my heifers is a black angus. My heifers were wormed about a month ago and have hay, pasture (which is already green and growing) and protein tubs and loose minerals. Does sound like I should trust my instincts and cull.

Breed her to a black homo-polled bull, sell her black polled calf at the salebarn for just as much as everyone else is getting. She won't have calving trouble if she is bred to a bull that throws normal sized calves. Correinte never do.
Don't keep her heifers if you don't like her build. If you are tight on pasture or hay, cull her first if you don't care for her. When your pasture gets full cull her. If you have plenty of room keep her. You have this much time and money in her. If you are already full let her go.
She's at my home pasture (9 acres) now but I have access to another 160 acres that will be housing the older heifers with an older angus bull which at the moment is 12 heifers.

I'm in South Texas. The bull lined up to run with my heifers is a black angus. My heifers were wormed about a month ago and have hay, pasture (which is already green and growing) and protein tubs and loose minerals. Does sound like I should trust my instincts and cull.
I agree with @Ferd . If you have the room and the feed, I'd keep her,. Bred to your heifer bull (provided it is indeed a PB black Angus), you gonna get a polled, black or bwf calf that will bring as much as the calves from your other heifers. How did you end up with this Corr x Braford? WHich parent was which breed?

Ignore my gelding hiding behind the fence post. The heifer behind him is about a month older than the one in question and her pasture partner she's a Braford and fat with a nice body. These two are supposed to move to the bigger place this weekend. I usually use the home field for my weaning bottle babies and my two freeloading horses.

Attachments

• 5333325B-E452-469B-8881-0EE7B5DFC40D.jpeg
    5333325B-E452-469B-8881-0EE7B5DFC40D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
In all probability she will calve in the first 30 days of the calving cycle every time she calves. (sell her if she dos not)
Do not put her with a bull before she is 15 months old and avoid a bull that throws large calves.
If you said how much you have in her I missed it but taking the average input cost of Corriente cross heifers I will
say that under normal circumstances any calf she has will more than pay for her at a year of age if not before.
She should be good for 10 or more calves.
Main thing is not to let someone elses predjudices influence your decisions. Either way, good luck.

I agree with @Ferd . If you have the room and the feed, I'd keep her,. Bred to your heifer bull (provided it is indeed a PB black Angus), you gonna get a polled, black or bwf calf that will bring as much as the calves from your other heifers. How did you end up with this Corr x Braford? WHich parent was which breed?
She was an orphan from a big ranch I get all their orphans her mom was the Braford her sir a full correinte they tried on first time heifers. The bull I have lined out is a polled black angus ( brother in law used to have him sold him to his neighbor) neighbor said throw my heifers in my big pasture he'd move the bull over with a few of his first timers hence 12 heifers in the pasture

In all probability she will calve in the first 30 days of the calving cycle every time she calves. (sell her if she dos not)
Do not put her with a bull before she is 15 months old and avoid a bull that throws large calves.
If you said how much you have in her I missed it but taking the average input cost of Corriente cross heifers I will
say that under normal circumstances any calf she has will more than pay for her at a year of age if not before.
She should be good for 10 or more calves.
Main thing is not to let someone elses predjudices influence your decisions. Either way, good luck.
I bottle raised her so probably about $400

I never tried it, but was considering it about 20 years ago. Roping steers were costing as much as beef calves and I figured I could run 3 corriente cows per 2 beef cows. I was in to team roping back then too, but that has all gone by the wayside. Went Angus instead. I don't have any idea what roping stock is bringing these days, but price used to correlate somewhat with beef cattle prices.

I bottle raised her so probably about $400
Well, unless you don't have the room, or will be having to feed expensive hay, etc. I would keep her. She will probably make you more money than the other cows will. You will be able to wean a calf off at 5-6months that will bring you at least $600. And like @Lee VanRoss said, you will have zero calving problems and zero med and other inputs in her. AT 6 mos....500 or so pounds, the calf will be indistinguishable from your Angus x Braford calves. Let it get much older or bogger though, and you will be able to see it is part Corr.

Latest posts