To breeders of show cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I am debating on wether or not to brand all my show cattle offspring. I am new to the show cattle end of cattle and want to brand everything as cattle thefts are at a high. We already brand all calves but this following year we want to sell to the kids for fairs. Do we brand them still? What do you do?
Thanks,
Double R

We brand everything, and a lot of people I know who show show branded cattle. Since you are doing it yourself, I'd just make sure the brand is small and is not on the show side.

You could also freeze-brand, it looks nicer and doesn't leave the scar that a hot brand does. I have a heifer that was hot-branded. Thankfully it has healed OK, but my other heifers' looks really bad. But it shouldn't keep you from being able to sell, that's for sure. And it's better to have an animal to sell that has a brand than no brand and no animal!

showing71":8pma6na0 said:
We brand everything, and a lot of people I know who show show branded cattle. Since you are doing it yourself, I'd just make sure the brand is small and is not on the show side.

And the show side would be?????

gallowaygirl":34ppa3a3 said:
You could also freeze-brand, it looks nicer and doesn't leave the scar that a hot brand does. I have a heifer that was hot-branded. Thankfully it has healed OK, but my other heifers' looks really bad. But it shouldn't keep you from being able to sell, that's for sure. And it's better to have an animal to sell that has a brand than no brand and no animal!

If im not mistaken a freeze brand isn't a legal binding brand in california. Will look into it though. Have had my fair share of bad brand done in the chute. However since ive been stringing our calves between a horse and a post (don't have two people) my brand have been perfect! Now that i say it though...... Oh well.
Thanks.
Double R

In Ohio I have not noticed too many branded cattle at shows, we just ear tat. Don't want to mess up all the hair. LOL

Double R Ranch":3n0oe53p said:
showing71":3n0oe53p said:

The calf's right side, which is the side opposite the person leading the calf.

Double R Ranch":2ryw2phf said:
gallowaygirl":2ryw2phf said:

If im not mistaken a freeze brand isn't a legal binding brand in california. Will look into it though. Have had my fair share of bad brand done in the chute. However since ive been stringing our calves between a horse and a post (don't have two people) my brand have been perfect! Now that i say it though...... Oh well.
Thanks.
Double R
Why wouldn't a freeze brand be legally binding in Ca a Brand is an identifying marker wether it is a freeze brand or a hot iron

Freeze branding is not a listed choice in the CA's branding standards; I would call your local brand inspector to get help.
Most people who raise and sell show calves also help the kids out at the shows; my guess is that you might not have much experience at this. (Show halter on wrong, not knowing what the show side was) It might help you to get in contact with some of the other ranches in your area that sale show cattle and find out what it takes to get those extra dollars out of a show calf.
My son worked the entire month of October and into November working at a ranch in the Tulare area. They had 50+ steers and 30+ heifers they were getting ready for 2 sales. There where 3 people working on cattle on the weekdays and 6 or more on the weekends, clipping, halter breaking, rinsing and blowing out, everyday for 6 weeks.
You would be surprised at how many people showing cattle could not pick a good one out until it is clipped.
Now if you just want to sell to the kids for local shows and just take your 4 or 5 best calves and sell them for a little over market that is easy, but if you want to sell competitive calves for State Fair level it is going to take allot of time and work. You might thank about breeding show calves and finding someone else to sell them on commission or something like that, you get a better price and they have the customers.
Most Show cattle people will tell you that out of every 10 good cows you breed for show cattle you are only going to get 1 or 2 really good show calves out of, 2or 3 decent calves the rest are going to be feeders, and half of those calves will be heifers so you get 1 to 3 steers.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do, there is nothing better than seeing an animal from you herd winning.

We have big breeders in our breed using freeze brands.
One thing to remember, if you brand them - it goes with them forever. Be sure you want people to KNOW it came from your farm. Selling show calves can be really tricky. You want to follow thru with the projects so that they don't show up at the fair looking like death warmed over.

Angus Cowman":1727yend said:
Double R Ranch":1727yend said:
gallowaygirl":1727yend said:

Thanks.
Double R
Why wouldn't a freeze brand be legally binding in Ca a Brand is an identifying marker wether it is a freeze brand or a hot iron

Strait from the California Dept. of Brand: "Brands (Bovine) "Brand" means a design that is permanently impressed on the hide of an animal by burning with acid, a chemical compound, or a hot iron. Freeze brands cannot be used on cattle to indicate ownership"

jkwilson":1b33snd4 said:
Double R Ranch":1b33snd4 said:
showing71":1b33snd4 said:

The calf's right side, which is the side opposite the person leading the calf.

Ah the side of my brand. Got it :D Thanks. Adds a new twist.
Double R

Well, it depends on the brand. If the judge sees the brand of one of the big boys, he seldom overlooks the calf no matter who is showing it.

OMG...You brand everything...that is their zip code home...it has nothing to do with showing.....Would you buy a car without a title?????

giftedcowboy":4fitldte said:
OMG...You brand everything...that is their zip code home...it has nothing to do with showing.....Would you buy a car without a title?????
depends on your area.

Latest posts