Tipping the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

No. It was a place in Morristown. I've really liked the place/guy til then.

I am so very easy to get along with I like to think. I want us all to make money and grow. It's so very difficult to work with someone who doesn't want to grow and isn't money motivated. He is content with where he is at, which is great for him. Lol

I am willing to pay whatever to get what I want. I am also willing to break the halves down myself. I just can't read someone's mind.

I hope he was just having a bad day and will somehow make it right. But its been 3 months since, and I'm still fired up about it. Lol.

I have been in somewhat frequent contact with the owner of the one in Treadway. He is eager to grow and seems money motivated. He seems like a team player and wants to help the community. I share in all of that. I am going to take my business to him if we can work things out. I got a good feeling about it.

I have to say, the place in Treadway has the prettiest cuts of the places I have used. They look like retail. My only fault is with packaging. I wanna see if they can get a thicker material. I would gladly pay more for it. That's the only hitch at this time. Could have been they weren't handling the frozen meat in a gentle way. They were in learning mode still. It's something I am going to talk to him about.
Sounds like your guy was more concerned with his schedule than a little bit of extra money. That's a good thing.
A sign of honesty. Everyone has bad days and your not paying him to be nice to you. If he does good work and is reliable it might pay you to get over it.
My best hand is a real prick. He won't hesitate to chew me out if Im late getting him what he needs. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Or it might be as a customer your more trouble than your worth 😉...... that happens to. Lol

In the 'good ole days the butcher traded the hide for the kill fee. Doesn't work like that any more.
My butcher told me that they can't hardly GIVE hides away. They get $10 a hide. It costs $8 a hide in salt and labor. They said they spend $50 a week and the hides go in the dumpster. It's really a shame.

One of the shops around here charges for everything that goes into the trash, fat, bones etc. I usually take it and feed coyotes and birds, saves $35 🤷‍♂️
I did that last time I had an emergency. The butcher neglected to tell his wife who does the billing, so I still got charged disposal fees.

Sounds like your guy was more concerned with his schedule than a little bit of extra money. That's a good thing.
A sign of honesty. Everyone has bad days and your not paying him to be nice to you. If he does good work and is reliable it might pay you to get over it.
My best hand is a real prick. He won't hesitate to chew me out if Im late getting him what he needs. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Or it might be as a customer your more trouble than your worth 😉...... that happens to. Lol
Correct on all thoughts. And that's right, no one has to be nice to me. I can take my business elsewhere.

The man did condense 2 weeks into 1. And it was cut/pickup day. Then gets mad at me because he was overwhelmed.

I don't see where the honesty comes into play here. He was trying to get 2 weeks into 1. Without affecting his schedule.

Correct on all thoughts. And that's right, no one has to be nice to me. I can take my business elsewhere.

The man did condense 2 weeks into 1. And it was cut/pickup day. Then gets mad at me because he was overwhelmed.

I don't see where the honesty comes into play here. He was trying to get 2 weeks into 1. Without affecting his schedule.
Agree. There's plenty of other ppl to be yelled at or to yell to than your butcher. All he had to do was say NO, not this time etc. Thats on him. He may not have to be nice to you but you sure as h*ll can take your business elsewhere.

No. It was a place in Morristown. I've really liked the place/guy til then.

I am so very easy to get along with I like to think. I want us all to make money and grow. It's so very difficult to work with someone who doesn't want to grow and isn't money motivated. He is content with where he is at, which is great for him. Lol

I am willing to pay whatever to get what I want. I am also willing to break the halves down myself. I just can't read someone's mind.

I hope he was just having a bad day and will somehow make it right. But its been 3 months since, and I'm still fired up about it. Lol.

I have been in somewhat frequent contact with the owner of the one in Treadway. He is eager to grow and seems money motivated. He seems like a team player and wants to help the community. I share in all of that. I am going to take my business to him if we can work things out. I got a good feeling about it.

I have to say, the place in Treadway has the prettiest cuts of the places I have used. They look like retail. My only fault is with packaging. I wanna see if they can get a thicker material. I would gladly pay more for it. That's the only hitch at this time. Could have been they weren't handling the frozen meat in a gentle way. They were in learning mode still. It's something I am going to talk to him about.
I know I'm a little late here, but wanted to put in my 2 cents. None of our inspected processors will divide quarters here. The one I primarily use would probably do it for a price, but they are so chaotic most of the time, I would be concerned that it wouldn't get split correctly. What I have opted to do is sell quarters, but not the front or rear of a half. When I sell a quarter, I sell 50% of all cuts from a side. I literally take the side and set two empty coolers or boxes and divide them "One T-bone for you, one T-bone for you, one ribeye for you, one ribeye for you... etc.." We cut our briskets in half, and the customers may get some slightly different roasts, but in the end, they get pretty equal amounts of beef.

If a customer is buying a side, we let them choose their cuts, etc. If they are buying a quarter, they get the most common cut sizes and don't get the option to choose. We only use inspected processors because we deliver all of our orders directly to the customers home.

I have found that most of the processors I have used, are very old businesses who have done things they way they have done them for multiple generations and aren't motivated by a little extra money, or even growth. They're happy doing business the same way their parents did. That seems to be working well for them today, but the market is ripe for some younger go-getters to jump in and open up some really good inspected facilities, do things right, and it will affect those older businesses eventually and hopefully the big guys too...

Latest posts