Tipping the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I read that you want to get along good with your butcher and that you should even tip them if your happy with their work ?

Anyone do or hear of that ?

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Hadn't ever heard that. Our butcher comes to the farm,then takes quarters back to hang and later process. We try and accommodate him by having a loader tractor with a clean bucket ready, electricity handy, a clean dry place for him to work,and help any way we can. From what he says; that's way more than most people do.

Just trying to do what they ask, will be tip enough. Have the str there when they ask, clean your boots (don't drag mud and $h!t in their office), be patient if there is a problem (remember your dealing with a live animal. Things don't always go 100% as planned)

jscunn

Reaction score
On my last trip of the year up to the butcher to pick up beef, I always get the staff a case of their favorite beverage, just to thank them for all the headaches me and my customers give them the past 4 months.

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
On my last trip of the year up to the butcher to pick up beef, I always get the staff a case of their favorite beverage, just to thank them for all the headaches me and my customers give them the past 4 months.
How many do you butcher on avg?

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Your butcher already gets the hide, bones, offal, and scraps of meat. Which all have value, and get sold (if they are smart). How much more of tip do they need?
My butcher told me that they can't hardly GIVE hides away. They get $10 a hide. It costs $8 a hide in salt and labor. They said they spend $50 a week and the hides go in the dumpster. It's really a shame.

Dave

Reaction score
My butcher told me that they can't hardly GIVE hides away. They get $10 a hide. It costs $8 a hide in salt and labor. They said they spend $50 a week and the hides go in the dumpster. It's really a shame.
The last two years I hauled the hides out to the bone yard along with the head, feet, and guts. Coyotes and ravens have to eat.

Lee VanRoss

Reaction score
Dave> This has nothing to do with this post but did not know where I could catch you. I see 5 Oregon counties have voted
to 'investigate' secceeding from Oregon to Idaho. From what I gather it is a rural versus Portand issue. I am sure there is
more to and wondered what your take is on the subject provided the information I have is accurate
thank you for your input in advance. LVR

Latest posts