Tiger striped calf

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I'm really starting to like this calf. Not only for his amazing color transformation (born a white face dun), but he is nice and chunky. He may or may not get registered, he might make a good commercial bull. I think he's scurred. Too sheathy, but angle is good. He's 4 mos. old. Comments?
SSL11112.jpg

SSL11107.jpg

SSL11104.jpg

What would you plan to Breed that Bull to? By looking at him, I suspect he is 1/2 Bhraman 1/2 Hereford. He would work well with Charlois or Angus cows. These calves would most likely hold their own at the Sale Barn. Just my thoughts. TRM

he would make a nice heifer... dont entertain any thoughts of his future for herd sire..rodeo bull maybe. F1 bulls like him will not produce the calf you have envisioned

We have a steer with similar markings.. He is going to the butcher next week. I think my dad wants to get his hide tanned and hang it on the wall. He is out of a Holstein x Brown swiss cow and then crossed Milking Shorthorn.

ALACOWMAN":pg9wwc87 said:
he would make a nice heifer... dont entertain any thoughts of his future for herd sire..rodeo bull maybe. F1 bulls like him will not produce the calf you have envisioned

When people see those nice F1 bull calves that look so good, there's a real temptation to envision them producing a calf like themselves. I've thought the same thing before :nod: .

MountainFarmChar":13n4pxae said:
ALACOWMAN":13n4pxae said:

When people see those nice F1 bull calves that look so good, there's a real temptation to envision them producing a calf like themselves. I've thought the same thing before :nod: .
yep and thats the problem... they cant reproduce themselves

that one will do well at the sale barn, but herd bull i think not.

I agree that he looks like a heifer except for his package. Very femine head.

Would make a flashy bucking bull.

If it was a heifer I would keep her in a heart beat

I totally agree that a 4 month old bull calf may not grow off to be the bull that he was the calf. However, It's not been my experience that a great looking 4 month old bull calf would turn into a gomer. A lot have not matured into what they looked like they might at 4 months old but very very few have turned into gomers. If a lot of my bull calves turned into gomers I would be doing something to improve my breeding quality. I'm assuming when you use the word gomer you're implying a "sorry animal" :?:

MFC

MountainFarmChar":2bmhwc1g said:
I totally agree that a 4 month old bull calf may not grow off to be the bull that he was the calf. However, It's not been my experience that a great looking 4 month old bull calf would turn into a gomer. A lot have not matured into what they looked like they might at 4 months old but very very few have turned into gomers. If a lot of my bull calves turned into gomers I would be doing something to improve my breeding quality.
  • I'm assuming when you use the word gomer you're implying a "sorry animal" :
?:

MFC
with him probably... but a gomer bull has been altered where he can't breed just used to detect heat cycles

i sure wouldnt keep that bull calf for a bull.he just doesnt fitt the look of a beefmaster bull.if he was mine.id send him to the sale.now he might make a good comm bull.but that is a gamble.because youd have to keep him till he was 16 months old.

Judging from what I can see in the pictures. I would probably hold him back for a few more months. He is not that bad. And people he is only 4 months old. Beefmasters change alot in their first year. I just sold 2 of my beefmaster bull calves in the sale barn a couple of weeks ago. I got good money for both of them. They were 10 months old and I knew they were not what I wanted. Yes they looked good when they were a couple of months old. But they went downhill fast.

Joy in Texas":2lu4xtwg said:
Judging from what I can see in the pictures. I would probably hold him back for a few more months. He is not that bad. And people he is only 4 months old. Beefmasters change alot in their first year. I just sold 2 of my beefmaster bull calves in the sale barn a couple of weeks ago. I got good money for both of them. They were 10 months old and I knew they were not what I wanted. Yes they looked good when they were a couple of months old. But they went downhill fast.
the bull market must not be too competitive in your area. you need to scroll back to the top and take a long ...long look at that calf. look down his side look at the butt. its hard enough to market steer's like that why would you use him as a bull? and his offsprings bring you 10 to 20 cents less per pound

ALACOWMAN":44ec7krp said:
Joy in Texas":44ec7krp said:
the bull market must not be too competitive in your area. you need to scroll back to the top and take a long ...long look at that calf. look down his side look at the butt. its hard enough to market steer's like that why would you use him as a bull? and his offsprings bring you 10 to 20 cents less per pound

The market is really good, so it seems to me. But I have to agree with everything else. Keep coming back to this thread and trying to think of something good to say, but frankly, that little guy should have been a steer long ago. If he were a heifer, I'd be proud to take him, for this climate. He's not.

Why not":10yu52ly said:
any body who can tell what a bull will be by looking at a picture of a 4 month old calf needs to pick lottery numbers.

All cattle go through stages untill mature of looking odd a fair statment can only be made by watching a animal through out the stages of growth. There are times the head is just right then to small then to big. the best looking calf today may be the gomer bull tommorow and vise versa.

I dont think there is any beef master bull born that dont go through these stages. Good looking growing calf for 4 mos old.

I don't believe you can tell the goods from the great ones at 4 months of age; but you can pretty much identify the ones that will be neither good nor great. You can pretty much band 3/4s (or more) of the calves you are going to steer at that age

Latest posts