Tifton 85 cost

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting in 25 acres of Tifton 85. I am having all of it done on contract. The cost for establishment with 40 bu. to the acre will be between $235 and $250. This will include required fertilizer and pre-emerenge to control weeds. Also I found an article on the net, did not copy it, it said that a person running a hay or stocker operation could justify this expense but a cow-calf operator could not.

hurleyjd":40ezuizq said:
I am in the process of putting in 25 acres of Tifton 85. I am having all of it done on contract. The cost for establishment with 40 bu. to the acre will be between $235 and $250. This will include required fertilizer and pre-emerenge to control weeds. Also I found an article on the net, did not copy it, it said that a person running a hay or stocker operation could justify this expense but a cow-calf operator could not.
jd that is pure bull.it dont matter of you run stockers or cow calf pairs.you come out better in the long run planting your own hay fields.the planting cost is a killer.but you can make that back in 3yrs with the hay you bale off it.are you getting your tiff 85 from jim russell in shirley.ok look here 40bu of spriggs will cost $120 to $160 an ac.land prep including spraying is about $60 an ac.fert cost say at 300lbs an is $60 an ac.so the way i figure it your cost is $240 to $280 an ac complete.

Farmgirl":dzmrdvs4 said:
your cost is $240 to $280 an ac complete.

BigBull,

Does that include the land preparation costs (plowing) also?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
yes your plowing disking leveling is 3 or 4 trips over the field.an i figure each pass cost $15 an ac.but it maybe more or less with the high fuel cost.

bigbull338":3ct1kfna said:
hurleyjd":3ct1kfna said:
jd that is pure bull.it dont matter of you run stockers or cow calf pairs.you come out better in the long run planting your own hay fields.the planting cost is a killer.but you can make that back in 3yrs with the hay you bale off it.are you getting your tiff 85 from jim russell in shirley.ok look here 40bu of spriggs will cost $120 to $160 an ac.land prep including spraying is about $60 an ac.fert cost say at 300lbs an is $60 an ac.so the way i figure it your cost is $240 to $280 an ac complete.

Yes I am having Jim do the sprigging. His price $140 per acre. The disking is $20 per acre each trip. Question who did you get to spray the pre-emgerge. I spoke with Triangle is Winnsboro about the spraying. They will not spray because of the liabilty involved in spraying grass land. The first fertilzer cost will be $35 acre. The reason for going with Tifton 85 is because of the quality and quantiy of the forage. I think it will make more than cosatal. The price of fertlizer was the determining factor.

hurleyjd":1bb2juhq said:
bigbull338":1bb2juhq said:
hurleyjd":1bb2juhq said:

Yes I am having Jim do the sprigging. His price $140 per acre. The disking is $20 per acre each trip. Question who did you get to spray the pre-emgerge. I spoke with Triangle is Winnsboro about the spraying. They will not spray because of the liabilty involved in spraying grass land. The first fertilzer cost will be $35 acre. The reason for going with Tifton 85 is because of the quality and quantiy of the forage. I think it will make more than cosatal. The price of fertlizer was the determining factor.
i know jim.am he knows what he is doing.i think he will treat you right.

hurleyjd":rx3j9zga said:

The research that you are referring to is talking about the added expense of Tifton 85 over coastal. According to their research unless you have stockers that can really utilize the higher quality Tifton, you are better off with the cheaper Coastal. As far as hay goes, it seems that the horse people dont' like Tifton. It's stems are too big.

farmerjohn":2kpqdc8y said:
hurleyjd":2kpqdc8y said:

The research that you are referring to is talking about the added expense of Tifton 85 over coastal. According to their research unless you have stockers that can really utilize the higher quality Tifton, you are better off with the cheaper Coastal. As far as hay goes, it seems that the horse people dont' like Tifton. It's stems are too big.

The horse owners should let their horses pick out the hay. Horses on Tifton 85 hay will also benefit from the increased digestibility.

Latest posts