Tifton 85 Sprigging Prep

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Have about 40 acres I'm looking to get sprigged next year and I'm contemplating the best course of action for the prep. This pasture has been severely overgrazed and has a good stand of perennial weeds to go with the grasses. I'm planning on following the below link from A&M as a general guide. But I'm curious if should spray grazon/etc this spring for the perennial weeds or if spraying everything down with roundup in late summer would suffice? Just not wanting to pay for more chemical than necessary. Any other tips would be helpful.

Soil samples and a fert plan based off planting next year would be more important to me but keeping weeds out always helps with moisture and regrowth next year.
Thanks Brute. I've got some samples shipped off, definitely looking to put a fert plan together and get a jump on correcting the ph while the ground broke.

I hear tifton is tougher to establish than coastal so just trying get all my t's crossed. Better to start praying for rain now too..

It's good you're planning a year ahead. You could spray grazon now and be ok but would be better to just control weeds and grass with roundup and tillage
You want scorched earth anyway.
Another good approach would be to grow a crop of hybrid sudan on it this year to suppress other plants and to improve the soil. Take a cutting off the hybrid sudan and plow in the regrowth. Have the soil worked up nice and smooth and fluffy a month or so before sprigging. Any rough spots you leave you'll have to live with. A common mistake is to run out and disc it one more time right before sprigging. This can cause you to lose your moisture. Make sure it gets rolled after sprigging. If you're hiring it done and they don't use a roller. Build ,buy, or borrow one ...

And yes soil test. Get p&k right this fall.
Good luck

It's good you're planning a year ahead. You could spray grazon now and be ok but would be better to just control weeds and grass with roundup and tillage
You want scorched earth anyway.
Another good approach would be to grow a crop of hybrid sudan on it this year to suppress other plants and to improve the soil. Take a cutting off the hybrid sudan and plow in the regrowth. Have the soil worked up nice and smooth and fluffy a month or so before sprigging. Any rough spots you leave you'll have to live with. A common mistake is to run out and disc it one more time right before sprigging. This can cause you to lose your moisture. Make sure it gets rolled after sprigging. If you're hiring it done and they don't use a roller. Build ,buy, or borrow one ...

And yes soil test. Get p&k right this fall.
Good luck
Thanks Fence. Not sure why but hadn't considered getting a summer crop in... that's got my wheels turning. I was planning on a winter crop but I supposed the summer annual might give more room for error. I am definitely hiring it out, appreciate the tips.

Latest posts