Ticks and show cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200

Reaction score
Ok i have a heifer and a steer and i'm having problems with ticks i find about 6-10 on them every cuople of days and yesterday i found two the size of dimes on my heifer. My ag teacher says to use pour on wormer and that should help is this true. Also any suggestion on what else works would be helpful. thanks

Pour-ons sometimes caused hair to go dry and break which is not ideal in the show ring. I would use an injectable ivermectin like Ivomec. Here in SA we get Ivomec Gold which is a 3% ivermectin compared to the usuaal 1%. Ivomec Gold will keep cattle tick free for up to 75 days, normal 1% for up to 21 days

Use the pour on, just be carefull not to use to much. A injectable is for internal stuff. Your having external problems. I alternate months with Valbazen and Ivomec pour-on for my show calves.

Pour on wormer. We use ivomec or cydectin.
Try some fly spray it'll say on the bottle. Some of it'll keeps ticks away.

Use of pour on might cause a little scaling, but not enough to worry about. Pour on should take of ticks and lice that I don't believe the injectable will do. You might also consider getting some type of spray to spray down your barn and lot. I'm not sure what product is best.

Here are two granular products to use around your lot and in your calves' bedding. Neither are harmful to livestock or wildlife.

DeltaGard G (a.i. Deltamethrin): Deltagard is a granular insecticide which utilizes a unique, water soluble carrier. Its irregularly shaped granules dissolve completely (leaving no particles that might be picked up by birds and other non-target species!), delivering the maximum dose of DeltaGard to the target insects. Packaged in convenient 10 lb. bags which, at the treatment rate of just 2 lb. per thousand square feet, will treat 5000 square feet. This is considerably less than traditional granules, and means you carry a lot less bulk while still getting the job done properly. Normal residual is up to 4 weeks, depending on environmental conditions and targeted pests.

Talstar (a.i. Bifinthrin) Talstar is a synthetic pyrethroid that is available in both granular and liquid concentrate forms. It is very safe towards non-target animals such as birds, reptiles and mammals. Talstar lasts much longer than organophosphate pesticides such as Dursban, Diazinon, Malathion and Acephate. We have had many reported cases of Talstar controlling molecrickets for up to two months, chinch bugs, ants and fire ants for three months! Only 1 or 2 applications are needed each year for mole crickets. No special site preparation is needed when treating for mole crickets with Talstar. Talstar is very effective in controlling ants, fleas, mole crickets, chinch bugs and other turf and ornamental pests.

Cowboy 2.0":33w9zhzh said:
Use the pour on, just be carefull not to use to much. A injectable is for internal stuff. Your having external problems. I alternate months with Valbazen and Ivomec pour-on for my show calves.

Hmmmmmmm!!!! You might want to read the label on some of the injectables. It's the product not the method of treatment that takes care of the parasites. I wouldn't use the pour on for show animals because of the hair issue. Also, be careful when using pesticides as they can have an allergic reaction because they are kept so clean. We had this happen at San Antonio 2 years ago. We used Lintox (weak mix) for lice preventive before we left for home. Our Herefords were okay after a while, but the Charolais heifers went into shock. The vet said it was due to the heifers being kept so clean -- no oils in the skin.

farmwife":3tlhju4s said:
Cowboy 2.0":3tlhju4s said:

Hmmmmmmm!!!! You might want to read the label on some of the injectables. It's the product not the method of treatment that takes care of the parasites. I wouldn't use the pour on for show animals because of the hair issue. Also, be careful when using pesticides as they can have an allergic reaction because they are kept so clean. We had this happen at San Antonio 2 years ago. We used Lintox (weak mix) for lice preventive before we left for home. Our Herefords were okay after a while, but the Charolais heifers went into shock. The vet said it was due to the heifers being kept so clean -- no oils in the skin.

I haven't had any hair problems with my calves and Ivomec Pour-on. It doesn't matter what the label says, ticks are on the outside and injectable goes inside.

I've always been taught that the pour-on was more effective for external parasites than the injectable. I know what the label says, but there is a lot to be said for practical experience.

We poured our cattle two weeks ago, no skin problems at all.

I'm not sure what caused your cattle to go into shock, but it wasn't from lack of oil in the skin. Lindane does have an oil-base to it, and the presence of oil on the skin would have actually served to dissolve the chemical residue following use and get it into the bloodstream quicker. If anything, the presence of oil on the skin could have accelerated an allergic reaction. We used to use lindane a lot and never had that kind of a problem. You didn't have something else in their hair that could have reacted with it did you? There are some other pour ons just for lice that we've used with better results than the old lindane.

chambero":2ygx2fpz said:
I've always been taught that the pour-on was more effective for external parasites than the injectable. I know what the label says, but there is a lot to be said for practical experience.

We poured our cattle two weeks ago, no skin problems at all.

I'm not sure what caused your cattle to go into shock, but it wasn't from lack of oil in the skin. Lindane does have an oil-base to it, and the presence of oil on the skin would have actually served to dissolve the chemical residue following use and get it into the bloodstream quicker. If anything, the presence of oil on the skin could have accelerated an allergic reaction. We used to use lindane a lot and never had that kind of a problem. You didn't have something else in their hair that could have reacted with it did you? There are some other pour ons just for lice that we've used with better results than the old lindane.

Are you talking pasture cattle or show cattle?

Yes :D .

We use Ivomec (or one of its generic equivalents) on both our show calves and pasture cattle. We poured our show calves about two weeks ago. Clipped one last weekend and didn't have any scaling or other issues. I've seen scaling happen from pour ons, but very rarely (maybe one or two calves in the last ten year) at a noticeable level.

I know the pour-on works for lice as I alluded to previously. We also use it on our cow herd at the end of winter which is when they will try to get bad cases of lice.

I know the injectable says it works, I've just been taught to use the pour on. I don't like to poke any more holes in show calves than I have to so I prefer to not use injections.

There is another kind of pour-on just for lice that we sometimes use when we wean babies for show calves. I believe it is called Cylence. We've bought it as horse supply stores. It has worked great too when it is too early to use Ivomec again.

chambero":3konr0mt said:
Yes :D .

We use Ivomec (or one of its generic equivalents) on both our show calves and pasture cattle. We poured our show calves about two weeks ago. Clipped one last weekend and didn't have any scaling or other issues. I've seen scaling happen from pour ons, but very rarely (maybe one or two calves in the last ten year) at a noticeable level.

I know the pour-on works for lice as I alluded to previously. We also use it on our cow herd at the end of winter which is when they will try to get bad cases of lice.

I know the injectable says it works, I've just been taught to use the pour on. I don't like to poke any more holes in show calves than I have to so I prefer to not use injections.

There is another kind of pour-on just for lice that we sometimes use when we wean babies for show calves. I believe it is called Cylence. We've bought it as horse supply stores. It has worked great too when it is too early to use Ivomec again.

We don't "poke holes" in our show cattle either -- we give Ivomec injectable orally. Since we don't have a lice or tick problem -- I figure the injectable is taking care of that problem as well as the internal parasites, because we don't pour our show cattle. As a side note, my son takes a pill for poison ivy. I guess the mind set that you use meds on the outside for an outside problem and inside for an inside problem doesn't stand to reason!

Delivery method does make a difference with many drugs, especially related to speed of the desired effect. Some drugs allow for intravenous or subcutaneous injection, but many vets will tell you that if you really need an antiobiotic to get to work in a hurry you give it intravenously if possible.

I suspect that is the real difference between the injectable and pour on with regards to external parasites. Haven't ever heard of giving the injectable orally. Do you use a different dose than you would if you injected it?

I take it your son is extremely allergic to poison ivy. I can sympathize. I get it pretty easy too. There is a kind of soap that you can scrub with that pulls the oil out of the skin if he does get it. You can find it in drug stores. Kind of expensive but really works. The vaccine used to decrease allergic reaction to poison ivy tries to desensitize your bodies immune system to the oil from poison ivy. Completely different mechanism than a wormer that is trying to kill something.

I'm almost certain that the Ivomec reps were the ones that used to tell us to use the pour-on if we were trying to address a grub or lice problem. Ivomec used to be quite expensive when applying to several hundered head and we didn't just pull the idea to use pour on out of the air. There are some inconveniences to using pour-on vs. injectables (worrying about weather, etc.) in a commercial setting. I think that is what I and others who have that opinion remember being told. There was a reason that pour-ons became so successful despite the fact that giving a quick shot is sometimes easier.

chambero":x4ig2v8s said:
Delivery method does make a difference with many drugs, especially related to speed of the desired effect. Some drugs allow for intravenous or subcutaneous injection, but many vets will tell you that if you really need an antiobiotic to get to work in a hurry you give it intravenously if possible.

I suspect that is the real difference between the injectable and pour on with regards to external parasites. Haven't ever heard of giving the injectable orally. Do you use a different dose than you would if you injected it?

I take it your son is extremely allergic to poison ivy. I can sympathize. I get it pretty easy too. There is a kind of soap that you can scrub with that pulls the oil out of the skin if he does get it. You can find it in drug stores. Kind of expensive but really works. The vaccine used to decrease allergic reaction to poison ivy tries to desensitize your bodies immune system to the oil from poison ivy. Completely different mechanism than a wormer that is trying to kill something.

I'm almost certain that the Ivomec reps were the ones that used to tell us to use the pour-on if we were trying to address a grub or lice problem. Ivomec used to be quite expensive when applying to several hundered head and we didn't just pull the idea to use pour on out of the air. There are some inconveniences to using pour-on vs. injectables (worrying about weather, etc.) in a commercial setting. I think that is what I and others who have that opinion remember being told. There was a reason that pour-ons became so successful despite the fact that giving a quick shot is sometimes easier.

Yes, we use the same dose.

Latest posts