Thyroid cancer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone on here has had thyroid cancer. I got diagnosed today and referred to a surgeon to see in a couple of weeks. Doc said i have nothing to worry about. But i don't know, when you hear the C word you pay attention. Most likely have to take medication for the rest of my life which is not a good thing as i never take anything. It would be good to hear from anyone who has been on this journey. I read Sofia Vergara had this when she was 28, she looks mighty fine to me these days.

The guy on the Home and Garden network show Flip or Flop had it. If caught in time should not be a problem. Here is his story.

I have taken Synthroid for several years for an under-active thyroid. The meds pretty much keeps it in check as the T3 and T4 uptake are the main things and they stay between the lines.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/a36945/tarek-el-moussa-cancer-battle/

Wishing you the best partner. They can do amazing things these days. Try to keep a good attitude, it goes slong way.

Thanks for the replies. I know my prognosis is good as i have caught it extremely early and not many people die from it (so they tell me!) More concerned about medication afterwards and hoping that i don't fluctuate with the levels as my work is very physical. But i guess i am just lucky i have the option.

jltrent said:
The guy on the Home and Garden network show Flip or Flop had it. If caught in time should not be a problem. Here is his story.

I have taken Synthroid for several years for an under-active thyroid. The meds pretty much keeps it in check as the T3 and T4 uptake are the main things and they stay between the lines.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/a36945/tarek-el-moussa-cancer-battle/

Gee he copped it all didn't he. Wonder if the two cancers were linked. But he looks good now. My biggest concern is coming out of surgery sounding like mickey mouse.

My girlfriend was diagnosed with it nearly twenty years ago. Even then it was one of the easiest forms of cancer to survive. She had her thyroid removed and has taken synthetic thyroid drugs every since and it hasn't been any more of a problem than taking a pill every day.

The C word is very scary. But Thyroid cancer is very slow growing. The most likely advice will be to take out the Thyroid and put you on Synthroid. The survival rate for Thyroid cancer is something like 99%. Still, I understand your concern.

Best of luck and hopes for a good outcome.

Edit: If you end up looking like Sofía Vergara after surgery, give me a call! :tiphat:

My mom had it around 15 years ago. They took it out and have her on medicine. It took alittle bit to get her medicine straighten out but once they did everything is fine.

Thanks for the prayers, thoughts and feedback. It is reassuring to hear there is people out there on medication functioning normally. I worry i will be normal but not quite right if you know what i mean. I've never taken medication longer than a week. Guess i am just lucky i have the option. Talking to the doctor and reckons as i get older i will be better on medication than people with thyroids as the thyroids slowly diminish. Maybe he was just trying to cheer me up but I'll take it! He also said 7 out of 10 people will have nodules on their thyroid which can interfere with the thyroids function. Very interesting.

Positive thoughts for you and learning to deal with it. Have heard that it is the "best" cancer to get and can be totally "fixed". I have an under active thyroid. Tried natural supplements, synthetic and nothing seems to work so far. Have gone to changing my diet. Once I get some weight off, maybe it will help. The weight gain is a part of it though....

farmerjan said:
Positive thoughts for you and learning to deal with it. Have heard that it is the "best" cancer to get and can be totally "fixed". I have an under active thyroid. Tried natural supplements, synthetic and nothing seems to work so far. Have gone to changing my diet. Once I get some weight off, maybe it will help. The weight gain is a part of it though....

Hopefully you can get it right. It is amazing how much the thyroid controls. Losing weight and gaining weight, heart rate, cold/heat tolerance, etc. One test i had to do was shut my eyes and touch my fingers together, apparently shaking is a sign. I am all clear in everything except biopsy. He did tell me if i left it for a year wouldn't be a problem......not sure you should tell a farmer that.

Redgully said:
farmerjan said:

Hopefully you can get it right. It is amazing how much the thyroid controls. Losing weight and gaining weight, heart rate, cold/heat tolerance, etc. One test i had to do was shut my eyes and touch my fingers together, apparently shaking is a sign. I am all clear in everything except biopsy. He did tell me if i left it for a year wouldn't be a problem......not sure you should tell a farmer that.
Especially around hay'ing or calving season... :cowboy:

Latest posts