Three way cross options?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a bunch of gold/red wf that have some Char influence. Very nice cows. Bred them all BA and ended up with some nice bwf and 2 gray rat tailed calves...

I understand that the duliter gene is dominate and I should expect the same result with the same BA cross next year?
If so, can I expect a normal hair coat by going to a Continental bull for rat tail mothers?

Stocker Steve":dg08vk0j said:
I purchased a bunch of gold/red wf where some appear to have a Char influence. Very nice cows. Bred them all BA and ended up with some nice bwf and 2 gray rat tailed calves...

I understand that the duliter gene is dominate and I should expect the same result with the same BA cross next year?
If so, can I expect a normal hair coat by going to a Continental bull for rat tail mothers?
Only if there is no black anywhere in the mix.

dun":2ytd98it said:
Stocker Steve":2ytd98it said:
I purchased a bunch of gold/red wf where some appear to have a Char influence. Very nice cows. Bred them all BA and ended up with some nice bwf and 2 gray rat tailed calves...

Red limi works OK but black "Limi" might produce a rat tail?

Stocker Steve":2ju5nh91 said:
dun":2ju5nh91 said:
Stocker Steve":2ju5nh91 said:

Red limi works OK but black "Limi" might produce a rat tail?
Correct. The rat tail is a result of the diluter and black

Sim.-Ang.-Charolais

Sim- good calving ez, big bone

Angus- Heavy musale, smaller size, lighter birth weight.

charolais-Super fast growing and very feed efficient.

It is as easy as 1..2..3 :banana:

sim.-ang.king":1144z6wg said:
Sim.-Ang.-Charolais

This combination could still produce rat tails, which is what Steve is trying to avoid.

sim.-ang.king":1agpuzh2 said:
Sim.-Ang.-Charolais

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

VanC":190g65iy said:
sim.-ang.king":190g65iy said:
Sim.-Ang.-Charolais

This combination could still produce rat tails, which is what Steve is trying to avoid.

Not if you use red simmis and red angus...

Dixieangus":12s1nckq said:
and what exactly is a rat tail and can you get one from an angus or brangus bred Charolais
In theory you can get a rat tail from anything that is black (heterozygous or homozygous) and a diltuer gene. But, I don;t really think it is as simple as that. The vast majority of diluter cattle bred to blacks don;t throw rat tails. I wonder if there isn;t another oddball gene that has to enter into the equation.

fargus":29va29ah said:
VanC":29va29ah said:
sim.-ang.king":29va29ah said:
Sim.-Ang.-Charolais

Not if you use red simmis and red angus...

Very true. I was thinking black, which shows that I've been somewhat brainwashed. :tiphat:

i've seen "smokies" but never a "rat-tail". can anyone describe this malady or post a pic? i have some char/ herf cows that i was planning to breed BA

VanC":3qq83inr said:
Very true. I was thinking black, which shows that I've been somewhat brainwashed. :tiphat:

HAHAHA! You and a large part of the consuming public, and a good chunk of the industry..... I have to tip my hat to the Angus Association for making everybody believe that the colour on the outside makes a difference on the inside. Even if every time I open them up their all the same colour once the hide comes off...

Dixieangus":2sxq7zc4 said:
and what exactly is a rat tail and can you get one from an angus or brangus bred Charolais
i did get a gray from a brangus bull /simbra cow once but no rats,,, but again that was my personal experience.. no rats or grays from this sitz angus bull yet, but my last angus i got a few

Latest posts