Three month old bull,,, thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well - yes and no. Normally, I do not.
ASA is offering a super cheap price to breeders if they commit to do their whole herd, with an additional discount if you supply weights, and or frame score, and or BCS. Well, I do weights, FS & BCS anyway, so it was a no brainer to do it.
I just got the Parentage DNA Report yesterday, but this was a full 50K DNA and I had them test for Homo Black & Homo polled on a couple. This test is like knowing "15 CE scores", 20 BWs, 22 WWs, and 25 Stay records" on each of my own cows for their EPD's. Cost $15/hd
Interesting, out of 50 head, only 1 did not DNA back to the sire. It was a purchased animal. ASA checked all the sires used by the other farm the year she was born and came up with her matched sire. But, all of mine were accurate - woohoo!

Stocker Steve":2yh4faj9 said:
Were any animals culled or retained due to the DNA tests?
Absolutely NOT. DNA is a TOOL - not the Holy Grail!!! I have not seen how much they have or have not affected my cows EPD's, but that still won't make any difference as far as cull/keep on this farm. I use EPD's as a tool, nothing more.
Interested in why you would ask this?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":pvoe223v said:
Stocker Steve":pvoe223v said:
Absolutely NOT. DNA is a TOOL - not the Holy Grail!!! I have not seen how much they have or have not affected my cows EPD's, but that still won't make any difference as far as cull/keep on this farm. I use EPD's as a tool, nothing more.
A lot of Angus herds had genetic defects once DNA samples became the normal. You never know what's in the wood pile using paper.

True Grit Farms":wygyjies said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":wygyjies said:
Stocker Steve":wygyjies said:
A lot of Angus herds had genetic defects once DNA samples became the normal.
And without DNA testing those genetic defects would have continued to spread.

Holsteins are another example that you can't reveal genetic defects by looking at phenotype.
Others have No Genetic Defects because the defect has yet to be identified or they have never been tested and
so they stay in the breeding population.

Luckily, ASA has stayed on top of that problem. SO FAR, we do not have any known major defects "in our breed". All cattle that use a dam or sire of a different breed for upgrading, must be Genetic Defect tested. They will register the animal, if tested positive, with genetic defect listed on the papers. I'm old fashion, I would prefer not being able to register a carrier, but it isn't hidden. No one can sell an animal without the buyer knowing. Even if you don't SEE the papers, all you have to do is look it up on your phone or computer.
I say no "major" defects, because I know we do have a "wild eye" defect. The calf's eye looks more blue, kind of glass eyed. Does not affect their vision - I believe Shock Force has it.