Thoughts on this Hereford bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know how good he is but his sons are topping all the major sales this spring.

midtncattle":18qii9ek said:
Don't know how good he is but his sons are topping all the major sales this spring.

I've noticed his sons are really selling well, he's a easy calving bull with very good carcass traits. Plus I really like his looks, although I do have 3027 in my tank already, no 3027 daughters though. I would like to how his calves work in the real world and if I'm missing a flaw somewhere.

I think he's very likely the real deal, I've been told he sires more rib than 3027

KNERSIE":1jh741fu said:
I think he's very likely the real deal, I've been told he sires more rib than 3027

Thanks for all the reponses, I'm liking him pretty well. Although I seem to be collecting horned Herefords lately to add to my tank :?

Harley, thanks for your input on him, I know you did a lot of research on 3027 to add to your program, so your words were well received.

He may be a very good calving ease and maternal bull, but how the UPS DOMINO 3027 bull has gotten to trait leader status on carcass traits is a mystery if you look at the performance of his offspring. Neither 3027 nor either of his parents were ultrasounded for carcass data. 3027 has nearly 900 offspring ultra sounded for carcass data and they don't even beat the average for ribeye or imf, yet he's a trait leader.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... D&9=5B5250

The CHURCHILL SENSATION bull has strong individual ribeye and imf data and his progeny are performing good for imf, even though his epd trail his sires, he ought to be a better carcass bull in the long run, based on ultra sound.

alexfarms":nf6x5jbp said:
He may be a very good calving ease and maternal bull, but how the UPS DOMINO 3027 bull has gotten to trait leader status on carcass traits is a mystery if you look at the performance of his offspring. Neither 3027 nor either of his parents were ultrasounded for carcass data. 3027 has nearly 900 offspring ultra sounded for carcass data and they don't even beat the average for ribeye or imf, yet he's a trait leader.

The CHURCHILL SENSATION bull has strong individual ribeye and imf data and his progeny are performing good for imf, even though his epd trail his sires, he ought to be a better carcass bull in the long run, based on ultra sound.
Yes that is right,his carcuss data is somewhat of a question but there won't ever be a perfect bull and our hereford 's is'nt considered as a terminal breed.Our strength is and will be maternal and very producer friendly. I know some of you are going to jump all over me for even insinuateing that carcass is down the road in importance.Here we have a bull that can help the breed recover some very important traits that has been all but lost these past 25 or more years. Lets use him for his best qualities and can work on others as time allows. I am very interested in his dam and real anxious to see his calves here in about 6 weeks.

Beef Man":k9x72loj said:
alexfarms":k9x72loj said:

Yes that is right,his carcuss data is somewhat of a question but there won't ever be a perfect bull and our hereford 's is'nt considered as a terminal breed.Our strength is and will be maternal and very producer friendly. I know some of you are going to jump all over me for even insinuateing that carcass is down the road in importance.Here we have a bull that can help the breed recover some very important traits that has been all but lost these past 25 or more years. Lets use him for his best qualities and can work on others as time allows. I am very interested in his dam and real anxious to see his calves here in about 6 weeks.

ABS has 3027 labeled right: THE CALVING EASE COWMAKER, end of story.
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HH0838

I agree maternal traits rank way ahead of growth and carcass traits in order of importance. It's great to have good milking first calf heifers, but do you really think we need +37 milk epds and all the problems that will come with it for older cows?

I'm not ,at this time,worried about the big milk epd's as a lot of those irragated epd's are a little exaggerated and usually don't carry on very far. You are right it takes a whole lot of feed to make that kind of milk.WE surely do not need and or expect nothing very near that on our range country.

Beef Man":3kumtf23 said:
I'm not ,at this time,worried about the big milk epd's as a lot of those irragated epd's are a little exaggerated and usually don't carry on very far. You are right it takes a whole lot of feed to make that kind of milk.WE surely do not need and or expect nothing very near that on our range country.

No, I don't take some of those milk epds too seriously either. I have a 767G daughter that is a nice cow, but she carries a +24 milk epd and only has an average nursing ratio of 100.2 in my herd, which probably doesn't have an average herd milk epd above +10. It sounds like 3027 sires good udders, which is a big plus with that much milk. One of the strengths of the Hereford breed is low cow maintenance costs, but if we're gonna breed them to milk like dairy cows, it won't be long before we'll have to feed them like dairy cows if we wanna keep them around.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=515E505D

Looking at his pedigree I see 9126J is his grandsire.

I've had great results from a couple Huth bulls with 9126J in their recent pedigree. They have really changed the direction of my herd.

midtncattle":1li5cech said:
I see 9126J in all kinds of good looking cattle's pedigree.

I'm curious how much how much you know about CL 1 Domino 166? 9126j is double bred to 166, close up.

I know absolutely nothing about 166 or 9126j for that matter. I just have been looking at a lot of hereford pedigrees on the internet or in sale catalogs and see 9126j come up alot. A breeder near me also has that bull in his cows pedigree.

alexfarms":wrofgjz7 said:
midtncattle":wrofgjz7 said:
I see 9126J in all kinds of good looking cattle's pedigree.

I'm curious how much how much you know about CL 1 Domino 166? 9126j is double bred to 166, close up.

Please tell us about both 166 and 9126J

Jim

Latest posts