thoughts on shock collars

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
ive got a cow dog that loves to chase/work cattle.she goes out with me an chases them.the bottomline is she wont mind me when i call her off.an that in turn ticks me off.i wont have her chasing new cattle.so i pen her up when im out working.so im thinking bout training her with a shock collor not to chase or mess with the cows at all.give me your thoughts on shock collors.

Sounds more like it needs basic obedience then a shock collar. A shock collar is used to reinforce what they already know, not to teach them anything new.

dun":2ymg2onm said:
Sounds more like it needs basic obedience then a shock collar. A shock collar is used to reinforce what they already know, not to teach them anything new.
dun she already knows she cant chase the cows.but she ignores me when i tell her no an call her off.she minds every1 but me.she thinks she dont have to mind me at all.an thats a prob.i wont allow her to mess the cows up.an if she messes 1 up shes had it.

You dont need a shock collar.

Other people can use the dog and call it off... just not you? Does the dog mind with other basic commands? Does it know any commands at all?

I think you need to go back to some basics with the dog like said above. For what ever reason the dog does not respect you for commands. Go back and try to re-establish the relationship. That is the real problem.

I am not a fan of shock collars at all. I think if you can't train a dog with out the collar than you won't know how to train the dog with the collar.

Brute 23":3btjvn44 said:
You dont need a shock collar.

Other people can use the dog and call it off... just not you? Does the dog mind with other basic commands? Does it know any commands at all?

I think you need to go back to some basics with the dog like said above. For what ever reason the dog does not respect you for commands. Go back and try to re-establish the relationship. That is the real problem.

I am not a fan of shock collars at all. I think if you can't train a dog with out the collar than you won't know how to train the dog with the collar.
the shock collar is a last resort for the dog.she is very hardheaded an stubborn.she has it in her head that she dont have to ignore me.an that will get her sent down the road fast.but the family dont want me to get rid of the dog.

Well you have to determine if the the dog is your family pet or a working dog?

With working dogs there are some that have to be culled due to mental capacity.

If it is a pet then you best bet is to break the dog completly from and and all animals.

But like I said... something is missing. If the dog will sit, load up, stay, come, ect... then it should stop for you also.

Try putting the dog on a long roping rope and riding around the cattle. Leave some distance so not to actually move the cows or get the dog in the position where it can't get away b/c it is tied.

GO out there and let the dog run with slack. Give your command to stop. If the dog doesn't stop... make it. Then release the dog to move. Then stop it again... and release it. If it gets where it is doing like you asked then praise the dog at the end. Try and be as consistant as possible with your commands even down to the tone of your voice.

Do it over and over. When you think the dog has it down try it in a confined area off the rope. If the dog stops then give it immediate gradification. IF not back to the rope.

Then go in a free range larger area and try it again with out the rope.

IF all is going well then you should be ready to try around the cows.

Brute 23":2oubdrxr said:
Well you have to determine if the the dog is your family pet or a working dog?

With working dogs there are some that have to be culled due to mental capacity.

If it is a pet then you best bet is to break the dog completly from and and all animals.

But like I said... something is missing. If the dog will sit, load up, stay, come, ect... then it should stop for you also.

Try putting the dog on a long roping rope and riding around the cattle. Leave some distance so not to actually move the cows or get the dog in the position where it can't get away b/c it is tied.

GO out there and let the dog run with slack. Give your command to stop. If the dog doesn't stop... make it. Then release the dog to move. Then stop it again... and release it. If it gets where it is doing like you asked then praise the dog at the end. Try and be as consistant as possible with your commands even down to the tone of your voice.

Do it over and over. When you think the dog has it down try it in a confined area off the rope. If the dog stops then give it immediate gradification. IF not back to the rope.

Then go in a free range larger area and try it again with out the rope.

IF all is going well then you should be ready to try around the cows.
well she already has 2 strikes against her.an both of those strikes came from bouncing cattle off an through fences.back in the old days that wouldve gotten her a lead injection.an im tired of trying to call her off of cattle.so 1 more offense with the reg cattle an ill lite her up pretty good.but for the time being im locking her up.an not letting her go with me when i work around the cattle.

2 thoughts on this -

Brute is right - your dog doesn't respect you. Go back to basic commands in a controlled setting - fenced yard or on lead. Don't let the dog move without your permission. Here/come better be instant, without hestiation. All commands should be instant. Do not let anyone try to override your commands. (my husband used to do that - I'd say "here" and the dog would not listen, then, as I said it again, my husband would yell louder than me, overriding my voice.) Once she is solid on listening to you on lead, take her off. Get solid again before going to cattle/ work.

Have you contacted a professional trainer? That might be a good alternative before getting rid of a potentially good dog. The professional trainer I'm working with says cow dogs are way too sensitive to use e-collars. My hunting dog uses one, but not my cow dog.

Dusty Britches":25e1ul9c said:
2 thoughts on this -

Brute is right - your dog doesn't respect you. Go back to basic commands in a controlled setting - fenced yard or on lead. Don't let the dog move without your permission. Here/come better be instant, without hestiation. All commands should be instant. Do not let anyone try to override your commands. (my husband used to do that - I'd say "here" and the dog would not listen, then, as I said it again, my husband would yell louder than me, overriding my voice.) Once she is solid on listening to you on lead, take her off. Get solid again before going to cattle/ work.

Have you contacted a professional trainer? That might be a good alternative before getting rid of a potentially good dog. The professional trainer I'm working with says cow dogs are way too sensitive to use e-collars. My hunting dog uses one, but not my cow dog.
i dont think respect is her prob.i think she just has a mind of her own.an trys todo what she pleases around me.i dont want to have to cull her but i will if im pushed to it.i think a trainer would end up killing her.she is 4yrs old.

bigbull338":3hc9d0gu said:
i dont think respect is her prob.i think she just has a mind of her own.an trys todo what she pleases around me.
she thinks that she can do as she pleases around you -
i.e. she doesn't respect your authority to tell her that she can't do as she pleases

you need to re-establish your authority -
I'm not saying beating the dog but the dog needs to understand that you are the boss!

an e-collar can be a good tool but that is all that it is - a tool - no more than a long leash

instead of jumping ahead to a tool like an e-collar - you need to take 10 or 20 steps backward and work on the basics for a little bit
then gradually add a controlled environment - like 1 or 2 calm cows - not a whole herd -
that would be waaaayy too much fun and her brain would turn off again!

Big Bull I have used a shock collar and still do because it saves their lives (the dogs).Sometimes they just can't stay off the road so when that happens the collar goes on and when they wonder near the road they get a warning and then zapped.Works really well and when they forget it gets pulled out again and used again.
BUT shock collars do not work on smart dogs ie. Border Collies you put that collar on and they will sit and do nothing until it comes off.So in my opinion they are great for stupid dogs when training and reasoning doesn't sink in.They are also good for puppies to train to avoid dangerous situations but if the puppy is smart you can only use the collar once as they will always know when you put it on them what it is.

SO if you use a collar on your dog in question you will get one chance to train and correct the bad behavior.It sounds like a smart one and if you mess up it will know the next time you put the collar to be a little angel.And when the collar comes off the bad behavior reappears.If it is your last resort then I would say go ahead and try.

I am not an advocate for the collars and try everything else first before I even think of using it but when a dog continuosly goes on the road and you can yell and scream and do every bargaining tool in the book I will use it if it means my girls and boy stay alive.

hillsdown":100r29f8 said:
Big Bull I have used a shock collar and still do because it saves their lives (the dogs).Sometimes they just can't stay off the road so when that happens the collar goes on and when they wonder near the road they get a warning and then zapped.Works really well and when they forget it gets pulled out again and used again.
BUT shock collars do not work on smart dogs ie. Border Collies you put that collar on and they will sit and do nothing until it comes off.So in my opinion they are great for stupid dogs when training and reasoning doesn't sink in.They are also good for puppies to train to avoid dangerous situations but if the puppy is smart you can only use the collar once as they will always know when you put it on them what it is.

SO if you use a collar on your dog in question you will get one chance to train and correct the bad behavior.It sounds like a smart one and if you mess up it will know the next time you put the collar to be a little angel.And when the collar comes off the bad behavior reappears.If it is your last resort then I would say go ahead and try.

I am not an advocate for the collars and try everything else first before I even think of using it but when a dog continuosly goes on the road and you can yell and scream and do every bargaining tool in the book I will use it if it means my girls and boy stay alive.
see im in the same boat you was in.if the shock collar makes her sitt down an not move then so be it.but she goes a step further she will sneak out in the pasture an run the cows.so if the collar stops her great.

Working dogs will only work for you if you are the 'alpha dog'. They have a pack mentality, it is just their nature. This dog is higher in the pack than you are. You need to bring it down below you. The shock collar will work, but as people have said so would a rope, or in my case what works is a bit of poly pipe (I'm not saying beat your dogs up, but a thump on the ground next to them or a tap can work well to establish your dominance).

Keep in mind some dogs are just chasers and can't be stopped. Some are simply not suitable for working dogs.

Ever think that it might just be a really good cattledog ????
A good one you;'d have to kill to get working(and yes to the dog right now chasing is working) out of its head.

Obedience goes out the window with some dogs if the choice is-- listen and get no work or ignore the command and get to do what you are DRIVEN to do.

You have three choices now Givng you the benefit that you have done a good job with obedience already.................

1- teach the dog how to herd properly(or hire someone to teach it)
2- get rid of the dog or the stock
3- put a shock collar on it and hope you can overpower and obliterate its instincts

bigbull338":3mt26ua2 said:
Dusty Britches":3mt26ua2 said:
2 thoughts on this -

i dont think respect is her prob.i think she just has a mind of her own.an trys todo what she pleases around me.

That is the very definition of "lack of respect"! :roll:

I know some people that need a shock collar...

My dogs mind me because I outrank them in the pack. They run all over my son because he does not. The problem I have with my dogs is the barking. They are so high strung that I can walk around the corner of my own house and the dogs go ballistic until they see it is me. Gets old, especially in the middle of the night when they just bark and bark. That's really the only issue I have with my dogs.

What Breed of dog are we talking about? Sometimes that does make a difference as to how they'r handeled..also,to get around the "knowing when they have a shockcollor on,keep a "dummy "
on them..

peg4x4":13n4wowu said:
What Breed of dog are we talking about? Sometimes that does make a difference as to how they'r handeled..also,to get around the "knowing when they have a shockcollor on,keep a "dummy "
on them..
she is an aussie sheppard.

Big bull, if you decide to try a collar you will be suprised at how it speeds up the whole training procees. I normally start 15 - 20 pups a year and I would hate to guess how much time a good collar saves. For people who are not familiar with them I suppose the term "shock" throws them off. The intensity is adjustable to the dogs temperment and the lower setting will normally work once the dog realizes he's even getting the shock. Most all the new ones have a tone button now and they learn that right away.
The other advise your getting about lack of respect is right on as well. Don't let the dog off the check cord if your not certain you can call him back. Each time he gets away with it.......
I've rep'd Tri-Tronics for several years now and they have a great product. Let me know if I can help you with that in any way.
Scott

http://www.RabbitHuntingBeagles.com

PS: Will trade collars for RAIN!!!!

Latest posts