Anyone ever put a dog on wheels?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,777
Reaction score
1,821
Location
Cleveland Tx
The one below is not mine, but I have one now that's been at the vet now nearly 3 weeks. I don't know what caused it, but he came up missing for 2 full days and I found him on my property near a pond and his rear legs won't work. Can't walk on them but after 3 weeks phy therapy, he can now stand but still can't walk. Front legs are fine.
Slider-dob.jpg


Sooner or later, if he doesn't show more improvement, I'm going to have to make a hard choice or a not so easy choice. Not a cowdog, sure not an inside dog, just my faithful companion for the last 8 years. Just a dang good dog. (You know the kind)
How well do the wheels work?
Would you let him roll along or put him down?
(I don't want him to suffer, but I know he wants to live same as you and I and $$ ain't an issue for this at all)

Thoughts?
 

bball

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2015
Messages
3,483
Reaction score
3
Location
Indiana
I'd say, after all you been through here lately, if it makes you happy to put him in some wheels, then you should put him in wheels.

Side note, how does going potty work when they're in wheels?
 

BrangusUSA

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Kindest thing you can do is put it down. Dogs were made to run.
Had a cat. Asked the ex to keep it while I was away for the weekend. He managed to let it get run over first day. Came back and cat could not walk and kids were bawling. Against my better judgment I took it to the vet. He charged $55 for the visit and wanted to do surgery for $750. I asked him about euthanasia. Vet wanted $250 to perform that. I told him never mind I would take it home and put a shovel to its head for free. Vet and staff looked at me like I was a psycho for not paying that money for a cat.
Long story short no surgery or anything. Cat started walking on its own, limping around in a few weeks. Gave it back to my ex as a gift. Cat lived about 10 years. Cat was happy. Ex husband was not.
 

bball

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2015
Messages
3,483
Reaction score
3
Location
Indiana
BrangusUSA":r477lc0g said:
Kindest thing you can do is put it down. Dogs were made to run.
Had a cat. Asked the ex to keep it while I was away for the weekend. He managed to let it get run over first day. Came back and cat could not walk and kids were bawling. Against my better judgment I took it to the vet. He charged $55 for the visit and wanted to do surgery for $750. I asked him about euthanasia. Vet wanted $250 to perform that. I told him never mind I would take it home and put a shovel to its head for free. Vet and staff looked at me like I was a psycho for not paying that money for a cat.
Long story short no surgery or anything. Cat started walking on its own, limping around in a few weeks. Gave it back to my ex as a gift. Cat lived about 10 years. Cat was happy. Ex husband was not.

Could you tell that to my dog please? I trip over him every time I come out the mud room door..he don't do much but lay around! Gettin to be worse than me.
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,905
Reaction score
1,056
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
I'm not for or against it GB. I think it needs a dedicated owner who is willing to give it the care and attention and a bit of ingenuity. A lot also depends on the control over their urine and bowel. Many spinal cases have urine retention with overflow and as well as leakage whenever pressure is put on the abdomen urinary infections are common but things can be overcome.

Ken
 

wlamarparmer

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Location
West Central Georgia
GB, Did this for one my dogs (Corgi) diagnosed with progressive neurological issue. Feel it gave him an additional
9 months that he appeared to enjoy. Did not work well around obstacles in house, but was able to take him outside
to urinate defecate on his own. In early stages would let him go to barn with other dogs (1/2 mile) then wander around
down there. Adapted and did well until progression involved front legs. I would do it again. If he is able to stand and has
fecal and bladder control, the wheel can be set to allow use of legs while bearing minimal weight. That's what I did, he had movment just not control/wt bearing.
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM
 
OP
greybeard

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,777
Reaction score
1,821
Location
Cleveland Tx
Well, we'll have to see how it all works out. Wife is on her way now to check on him again. Vet bill right now is $500. She (the vet) works way too cheap IMO.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
2,036
Reaction score
147
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
greybeard":31pmzp9y said:
Well, we'll have to see how it all works out. Wife is on her way now to check on him again. Vet bill right now is $500. She (the vet) works way too cheap IMO.
Wow, I’d agree. Had to take mine in a few weeks ago. Thurs-Mon cost me $700, and we still ended up having to put her down mid surgery. Cost me over $1200 for my dog to die.
 

wlamarparmer

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Location
West Central Georgia
GB and M. Magis,
Don't kick Yourself, nor complain what You spent. Think both went the extra mile. Have many times had to call
owners mid surgery with terminal conditions. The only ones I regret are ones owners refused my recommendations
to not wake up. Magis You did not spend $1200 to put Your dog to sleep, You spent that because You chose to go
the extra mile with a family friend. If that makes You miss dinner tomorrow, not good, but probably that not the case, You good people. As for GB DVM, agree on cost. Retired. but cant see those charges my area. All have to remember,
we have dominion over all our animals. We make wrong choices we answer somewhere, sometime, but for present
it owner choice.
W Lamar Parmer. DVM
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
2,036
Reaction score
147
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
I don’t mind the money, but I’d rather spend $500. :D But I wanted to at least give her the chance to have some more time at home. She was a good dog for 12 years, she at least earned that.
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
Well I'm proud for y'all spending money on your pets like that. I moved our old bull dog inside and even bought her a new bed. We also feed her canned food cause her teeth hurt her to chew. But when she gets to far down I'll bring her to the big oak and put her to bed.
I wish someone would be able to do it to me instead of waiting and watching me suffer till my last breath.
 
OP
greybeard

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,777
Reaction score
1,821
Location
Cleveland Tx
I pick him up tomorrow. He can get up and stand now on his rear legs, but his muscles have become too weak to walk...he tries to drag himself around by his front legs. Doc says I'll need to allow him into the yard for sure for a big part of the day so he can regain strength in his rear leg muscles.
I'll talk to her about the wheel option again, but I suspect she is going to again advise me to try to let him get some exercise and get back to mobility on his on first.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
We had a Bassett that was paralyzed and had the back surgery done. Her front end was strong but the back was weak. We would take a towel and make a sling in front of her hind legs and lift it up so she could get around without dragging her rear end. Within a couple of weeks she was kind of paddling with her hind legs as she walked around. When she started that we would let her hind feet just touch the ground. Took a couple of months but she got to where we didn;t need to help her. She lived for 6 more years and had a good life.
 
OP
greybeard

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,777
Reaction score
1,821
Location
Cleveland Tx
Mine's not anywhere near that capable yet.
I started building his 'wheelchair' today..one that will support him but force him to use his rear legs some too.
I've been helping him along with a fleece lined saddle girth (some call it a girt) and just holding his hind qtrs up by the D rings on the girth, but it's hard on my back.
 
OP
greybeard

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,777
Reaction score
1,821
Location
Cleveland Tx






Wife took him for a walk this afternoon, about 1/8th mile in his 'wheelchair' and he only stopped once or twice.



The 'wheelchair' gives him support in the back but makes him use his rear legs too, and it's working. He can now walk by himself for about 30-40' at a time, sometimes more before having to sit down, but he hardly ever just scoots along with his rear leg folded under anymore.

I think he's going to be ok, and glad of it. Getting tired of picking him up every evening or everytime it starts to rain and carrying him up the steps to the porch. He weighs 60 lbs now.
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
greybeard":34zv3gdn said:






Wife took him for a walk this afternoon, about 1/8th mile in his 'wheelchair' and he only stopped once or twice.



The 'wheelchair' gives him support in the back but makes him use his rear legs too, and it's working. He can now walk by himself for about 30-40' at a time, sometimes more before having to sit down, but he hardly ever just scoots along with his rear leg folded under anymore.

I think he's going to be ok, and glad of it. Getting tired of picking him up every evening or everytime it starts to rain and carrying him up the steps to the porch. He weighs 60 lbs now.
Excellent news, thanks for the report.
 

Latest posts

Top