thorns and tires

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
Just pulled my rear tire off and had it pumped out. Luckily the rim is not ate up too bad. I will grind ,blast and put 3 coats of paint on again. My question is, how do you guys deal with thorns? I wanted to put a reliner in but the tire guy and several neighbors said that they tend to move around and wear holes in the inner tube. We have honey locust trees around here and its near impossible to avoid getting a thorn once in awhile. If I didn't need the weight I wouldn't use the calc. chlor. . So far its cheaper to fix the tire every couple of years but a pain in the butt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

Sorry, the rear tire off of my tractor. I don't use inner tubes on the front anymore just a gallon of SLIME.

I will tell you this from experience. If you have honey locust, dont use your tractor arround them. Once you get them in your tires they are there for good. Go in and take a chain saw and cut the honey locust down, run them through a wood chipper and posin the stumps. And you will have to repeat this for about 3 years before you get rid of them.

Thoes thorns get in your tires and break off in them, then they surface on the inside of the tire at different times. You will go in and fix a flat and think you have got all of the thorns out only to have another one to work its way through in a few days, weeks etc....,

One fella told me you could buy liners and put on the inside of your tires and mount the tire tube less and that would help on the thorns. But i never could find any of thoes liners to try, so i dont know if they would help or not. But the best thing to do when it comes to honey locust is to AVOID them with a tractor. :D Because as you are seeing they are ruff on tires. :D

Good luck and i am glad it is you with the honey locust and not me. :D

you already use the answer to your thorn probs in your front tires.the green slime will work in your rear tires.if they are tubeless.but you have to put i think 2 gal of slime in each rear tire.check with your tire shopp before you put the slime in emm.

kenojoe":3hksb383 said:
Just pulled my rear tire off and had it pumped out. Luckily the rim is not ate up too bad. I will grind ,blast and put 3 coats of paint on again. My question is, how do you guys deal with thorns? I wanted to put a reliner in but the tire guy and several neighbors said that they tend to move around and wear holes in the inner tube. We have honey locust trees around here and its near impossible to avoid getting a thorn once in awhile. If I didn't need the weight I wouldn't use the calc. chlor. . So far its cheaper to fix the tire every couple of years but a pain in the butt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

By the looks of the replys, I don't think anyone else on this board runs calcium chloride weight in their equipment but me. Heck I knew exactly what you were talking about right off the bat. :nod:

Some tractors run calcium chloride (salt water) in the back tires for added weight, or ballist, for more traction. This type of setup is usually tube type, because nobody in their right mind would keep salt water against metal for a long duration of time( just asking for a major case of rust) And as far as I know, you can't mix stop leak directly in with the calcium chloride. (and besides, if you could, how many gallons would it take to become effective on a large back wheel tractor tire??? $$$$$$$

Stepper's comment on treating the locust trees was pretty good, but around here (and I assume everywhere) honey locust trees have very short thorns (about half inch to one inch) The Black locust trees have very long thorns anywhere from an inch to seven inches. Those are probably the ones that are giving you trouble. Black locust trees have a tremindous amount of root energy stored up. If you cut them down, they will turn into a huge thicket of black locust trees, growing up from the roots, sometimes as far as 15 feet away from the main trunk. Black locust trees are very subseptable to spray. I use a hot mix of Tordon, 24D and Remidy. The problem is that you have to get all the foliage to kill the tree, and a 20 foot tree is very difficult to spray, so I cut down or girdle all black locust trees that I can on my farm, then spray the thicket that comes up later the same year, (and the second year, and the third year) if you dilligent, that should wipe out your locust problem in a few years.

But now for the present. I too had problem with thorns getting into the tires of my main mower tractor. I switched out the front tractor tires (two wheel drive) for used airplane tires. (haven't had a flat since) The back tires don't have calcium chloride in them. One thing you can do is switch from calcium chloride to a cast solid wheel weight.

I do have some tractors with fluid in them though, and yes, it's a pain in the asterisk to have to deal with pumping out the fluid and patching the tire. In fact, I have a "tire guy" who comes out when ever I have a fluid filled tire to deal with.

On my own personal little utility vehicle (ok, it's just a golfcar, poor men got poor ways) I did use a truck tire liner between the tube and the tires. I cut it down to fit neatly inside the tire, then put in the tube and aired it up. I too was worried about the tube sliding around, but I run about 40 psi in those tires (ya they are just lawnmower tires) and I havne't had to pull a thorn out of the tire since. The extra rubber of the liner, and the higher pressure tends to keep the torns out of the tires really good. ( I don't recomend this remidy for the tractor though)

Personally I don't like using slim, becuase I have the same issues with it as calcium chloride against the rim, they seem to rust out eventually.

Thanks for the replies. I have been working on the locusts for 9 years, I suspect I will expire long before the last one is gone. They are unavoidable at my place. If I could find weights for my tractor that wouldn't "break the bank" I would use them and get rid of the calc. chloride. As I wrote before the tire guy did not recommend the liners. In my mind I don't see how they could move enough to wear a hole in the tube but this man has been in the tire business a long time .

Most everybody around here runs calcium in their tires for weight including me on my small 2wd tractor. The answer to your problem is radial tires according to my tire people. I've never had a flat on the rear so I am thinking of putting some used radial car tires on the front this year when I mow them.

Use the recliner and take an old tube and put over your new tube. The reliner moves and breaks the thorn off before they get into the tube. The old tube takes the wear. The only place you will have problems is where the reline overlaps it wears a hole in the tube there.

Just show no fear and fix a flat every once in a while. The same pain but you can use water and acohol instead of the calcium. Kelvar skidder tires work pretty good.

Once again thanks for the replies. I think I will go tubeless and have them filled with RIM GUARD, @ 28 cents a pound thats the easiest and cheapest way to go. If anyone has used it I'd like to know how you like it. Thanks Joe

was visiting with a neighbor who uses a New Holland 9030 bidirectional tractor for tree chipping. He has forestry tires on it. (no flats) If you were wanting to spend some money on tires sometime, those are something to check into.

I have not herd of "rim guard" That sounds like a pretty good ideal.

Why is it always so hard? Closest Rimguard dealer wants $300 per tire, reliners are bad and the thorns will keep coming thru. I believe my tires are radials. I run into trouble when the front end loader is on and have a load in the bucket. Question, if I lower the pressure in the radials and put some weight on the 3 point hitch, resting it on the drawbar will I be asking for trouble? With the loader off I can usually raise my bush hog up when I get stuck and get out (with loaded tires). My part of KY is pretty hilly and it doesn't take alot to get hung up when it gets a little wet. I am probably guilty of running my tires a little over inflated. I really don't want to put the calcium chlor. back in but not sure of what else to do. Any ideas would sure be appreciated. Thanks Joe

I might be mistaken but does'nt people use just water and antifreeze for added wheel weight ?

that can be done, and I suppose it would be less crossive.

Calcium Chloride is a denser material, and therefore weighs more. It's more bang for the buck if you are really needing to add some pounds to the tractor.

here's a link that is sort of an over view of adding tractor weight for the farming illertrate...
http://www.carverequipment.com/weight.htm

Around here our tire man uses the same stuff you put in your car's windshield washer container. I agree with whoever mentioned the Tordon and Remedy. If you can get this mixture on the leaves it will kill them. However with locust I have killed a great many with Roundup. My mixture, 6oz. Tordon 22K plus 6oz Remedy in 15 gal. spray tank. BTW don't let them die and get covered by regrowth-talking about a pain to pull those dead branches out of tall fescue. Good luck.

TSR":22aunhtw said:
... BTW don't let them die and get covered by regrowth-talking about a pain to pull those dead branches out of tall fescue. Good luck.

Been there, done that. :clap:

Latest posts